I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calimaven

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new here but I have been visiting this site for a few months now. I need some honest advice (even if it hurts). I am a female mexican-american applicant (URM) and I just recieved my MCAT scores: V=7, P=9, B=10, and WS=R for a score of 26R. My science GPA is a 3.64, I have four years research experience with one year conducted at Yale School of medicine in a post-bac program. I have co-authored in one publication that is in JBC, I am a MARC scholar, and I graduated with departmental honors and numerous awards including outstanding graduate in the department of biology. I have no clinical experience. I am debating whether I should apply to MD/PhD programs because I am not sure about my MCAT score (average MCAT score for mexican-american med school matriculants is 26P). My question is whether you think I have a good chance of getting into an MD/PhD program or an MD program? If I do MD eventually I will try to do research. My other alternative is PhD. Based on the stats what do y'all think. Thanks for the time and sorry for the long post

Members don't see this ad.

calimaven said:
I'm new here but I have been visiting this site for a few months now. I need some honest advice (even if it hurts). I am a female mexican-american applicant (URM) and I just recieved my MCAT scores: V=7, P=9, B=10, and WS=R for a score of 26R. My science GPA is a 3.64, I have four years research experience with one year conducted at Yale School of medicine in a post-bac program. I have co-authored in one publication that is in JBC, I am a MARC scholar, and I graduated with departmental honors and numerous awards including outstanding graduate in the department of biology. I have no clinical experience. I am debating whether I should apply to MD/PhD programs because I am not sure about my MCAT score (average MCAT score for mexican-american med school matriculants is 26P). My question is whether you think I have a good chance of getting into an MD/PhD program or an MD program? If I do MD eventually I will try to do research. My other alternative is PhD. Based on the stats what do y'all think. Thanks for the time and sorry for the long post

Hey there,

First off I gotta say that I am no expert (I am currently in the process of applying myself) and I really don't know how much the URM will change things. But I think with or without URM the average stats for MD/PhD programs are higher than the straight MD programs.
So here is my advice, keeping in mind this is what I would do if I were you. You can either retake the MCAT if you think you can improve it at least by 3-4 points to become much more competetive. But this will take another year or so. Otherwise, if research is really your thing and you are sure you want the PhD, I would apply to both MD/PhD and PhD program (since you can generally get into them with lower stats than it is the norm for MD, MD/PhD program). Your GPA is definitely high enough to help you get into some good PhD programs. With the backup plan, in case you don't get into any MD/PhD programs you want you can start your PhD first, boost up your scores and stuff and then apply to MD program after it. This way I think you waste the least amount of time.
If you don't have your mind made up about the PhD I think you can get into MD programs, but the lack of any clinical experience might make it tought there.
Sorry I didn't give any clear cut answers. I think it bottom line will come to you taking your chances since I think you are borderline, I don't think your case is a definite yes or a definite no. Hopefully my response will encourage other people to respond with better opinions :D

Thanks for the input! I've been doing some hard thinking and trying to decide what the heck I'm going to do with my life. The conclusion I came to is right in sync with your suggestion. I've decided that I'm going to apply to a PhD program in pathology. I figure that if I get my PhD and I still feel strongly about the MD degree I can always retake the MCAT, apply and my chances will be better because of my higher degree. I've been crunching the numbers and I'll only be losing about a year if I choose this route and who knows I might just find myself perfectly happy with a PhD in Pathology, encounter some great job opportunities and not need that MD degree. I feel as if things are looking up again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there is another person who is doing something somewhat similar (pathdr2b I think?). Check out some of her posts...may want to even PM her. She's pretty active on these forums if I remember.

calimaven said:
Thanks for the input! I've been doing some hard thinking and trying to decide what the heck I'm going to do with my life. The conclusion I came to is right in sync with your suggestion. I've decided that I'm going to apply to a PhD program in pathology. I figure that if I get my PhD and I still feel strongly about the MD degree I can always retake the MCAT, apply and my chances will be better because of my higher degree. I've been crunching the numbers and I'll only be losing about a year if I choose this route and who knows I might just find myself perfectly happy with a PhD in Pathology, encounter some great job opportunities and not need that MD degree. I feel as if things are looking up again!

You have a shot at MD programs now. MD/PhD is also a possibility given your experience and publication. Be careful about using the PhD as a step to getting into medical school. This is looked down upon by many. To abandon the PhD, with its tuition waiver and stipend, is to take away a spot from another student. You will be asked why you are leaving the Phd to pursue medical school during your interviews. Remember, many of medical school interviewers will be PhD basic science profs.

syrinx said:
You have a shot at MD programs now. MD/PhD is also a possibility given your experience and publication. Be careful about using the PhD as a step to getting into medical school. This is looked down upon by many. To abandon the PhD, with its tuition waiver and stipend, is to take away a spot from another student. You will be asked why you are leaving the Phd to pursue medical school during your interviews. Remember, many of medical school interviewers will be PhD basic science profs.

I wasn't suggesting for the OP to start a PhD program and then "quit" to get into MD programs. I was saying that if MD/PhD is really what she wants, it may be better to get them separately instead of within an MD/PhD program. The rational was that she can get into a good PhD program more easily given those stats and once the PhD is completed and she did well she can then apply to med school. That way she can show that not only she is interested in research, but also she can complete a full PhD program and that she can do it well. I'm not sure if this is how my suggestion was received by the OP but just to clarify my suggestion.

Don't worry, I totally understood what you were trying to say and I plan to complete the Ph.D. before applying to med school.