I need help

Slystylesxp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My name is Andrew and i'm currently finishing up my last year in high school, I don't really know where to go as of right now. I want to become a fully licensed Psychiatrist and am ready for the years of intense schooling I just don't know what to do. If you guys could help guide me i would gladly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to go to college and get a degree. There are some prereqs you'll need to complete for most schools:Bio I and II, Gen Chem I and II, Organic chem I and II, Biochem I, Physics I and II, some math course (statistics), English I and II, and possibly Psych and sociology.

So... Get into college (Community College is ok for the first two years), take those courses in your first two years, and do whatever you can to get the highest GPA possible. Treat college like a full time job. If you struggle, go to your school's learning center.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,
My name is Andrew and i'm currently finishing up my last year in high school, I don't really know where to go as of right now. I want to become a fully licensed Psychiatrist and am ready for the years of intense schooling I just don't know what to do. If you guys could help guide me i would gladly appreciate it.
Pick a college with a good science program..

It's OK to do CC -> 4 year school to save $.

Major in something that will give you a fallback in case Medicine doesn't work out for you.

Get at least a 3.5 GPA

Volunteer with patients

Engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself

Shadow some doctors.

Do what you love and love what you do.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Congrats on being almost done with high school and getting ready for your next steps! :soexcited:

I'm currently a senior in college and planning on applying to med school next year.

Becoming a fully licensed doctor takes 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, and then several years of training in residency where you'll learn about the specialty you pick.

For right now, your main focus should be finding a college that's a good fit for you. As the above poster said, you can start off at a community college and then transfer to a 4-year school to finish up your degree if that's the best option.

You can consider things like location, distance from family or friends, size of the student population, the culture of the school, the community that surrounds it, what kind of opportunities they offer for pre-med students, what student organizations they have, and of course, cost of tuition. Looking up more info on sites like CollegeBoard.org can help you plan what school is best for you. The College Board - College Admissions - SAT - University & College Search Tool

Finding a school where you can feel a sense of community and feel like its a good fit will help you get good grades, explore your interests, and become a competitive med school candidate.

During college, you'll take required pre-med classes along with whatever major you pick (doesn't have to be a science major!!!!!), volunteer in the community, get some clinical experience, shadow doctors, explore doing some kind of research, and get involved in a cause or organization you're passionate about. At some point, you'll need to take the MCAT which is an entrance exam (like the SAT) for med school.

The best thing to do in your first semester is to focus on getting used to the new environment/lifestyle and nailing down your study habits. Get involved in your school, check out lots of student groups, and go to your advisors often. If your school has a tutoring center, check it out even BEFORE you get a bad grade and ask the tutors/student mentors for advice.

The process is long and can feel overwhelming, but breaking it down into smaller goals and steps makes it much more manageable. Right now planning for getting a bachelor's degree with pre-med in mind is the first step and then you will dig into the details of putting a med school app together.

Here of some other resources you can check out if you're interested in addition to looking through SDN:

Medical School HQ - Another site that offers advice for pre-med students and Dr. Gray's podcast has helped me learn soo much about what applying to med school is like and what roads people take to get there

MedBros - I really like the MedBros youtube channel, they have good advice vids & they're really motivating

I hope this helps & I wish you the best in finishing up the year and planning whats next!

(ps you don't need to use your real name on sdn! its better to go by a username for privacy :thumbup:)

Last edited:
Hi Andrew
Congrats on your near graduation!!
Right now, your focus should be finding a college that you like, which can help you get into medical school. You will want to make sure the school you graduate from (even if you transfer after community college) is respectable. It doesn’t have to be Ivy League, and In fact you might want to consider a more affordable option- medical school is very expensive! This requires a strong GPA and SAT/ACT score, which you likely already have. So well done you can check off step 1. ✅✅✅

In college- Take all of the pre-med science classes and do well. You will want to take some electives that show interest in medicine and also leave you with a backup plan. In your case a psych major or minor may help along with the pre-med track (at some schools this is a major, at others it is not- talk to your advisor). That shows you are serious about psychiatry, and you have the option to select a wide array of masters programs in various psych related professions from there if you change your mind about medical school.

While in school your first goal is to earn at least a 3.5 GPA, with special emphasis on science classes. Also be sure to do ECs and volunteering that show an interest in medicine, including volunteering at health fairs and shadowing doctors.

Make sure you study for the MCAT for about a semester before the exam. I highly recommend doing it after you’ve finished the pre-reqs.