I need help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrami

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. It's nice to see so many fellow Africans here. I'm in a minority here because I'll be starting college (pre-med) in the fall. I was surprised at how hard and frustrating the college application process can be for a non-citizen international. They won't even give you much fin aid! I wish I had known this and so many other things earlier...I would have prepared myself.

Anyway..is there any advice you guys can give me for pre-med? Things that I may avoid? Anything about classes I should be aware of? MCATs, should I start preparing as soon as possible? Should I make sure I complete the physics, chem, and bio classes by my junior year so I'm well prepared for the MCATs? Extra carr. activities, should I be loaded with these to get into a good med school?

Well, I'm sure you'll see that I'm a little in the dark, but I would appreciate any wise words. I want to avoid silly mistakes and regrets..thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Shrami said:
Hi guys. It's nice to see so many fellow Africans here. I'm in a minority here because I'll be starting college (pre-med) in the fall. I was surprised at how hard and frustrating the college application process can be for a non-citizen international. They won't even give you much fin aid! I wish I had known this and so many other things earlier...I would have prepared myself.

Anyway..is there any advice you guys can give me for pre-med? Things that I may avoid? Anything about classes I should be aware of? MCATs, should I start preparing as soon as possible? Should I make sure I complete the physics, chem, and bio classes by my junior year so I'm well prepared for the MCATs? Extra carr. activities, should I be loaded with these to get into a good med school?

Well, I'm sure you'll see that I'm a little in the dark, but I would appreciate any wise words. I want to avoid silly mistakes and regrets..thanks in advance.

Well since your just starting your undergraduate work, First thing is keep your GPA above 3.5. That's about a B+. I would advise you to start on your pre-med's as soon as you can. If you put it off, you may then be craming for the MCAT. Start off taking Bio and chem. Your second semester, take the second half of bio and chem. Avoid sciences in the summer unless your real confident that you can do well in half the time. Your third semester, you should be taking Organic Chem and Physic's. Your fourth semester you should be on your last Organic Chem and Physic's. Total time is 2yrs. You can then begin to study for the MCAT and have your last 2 yrs of college for improving your GPA if needed. Biochemistry is voted as being very helpful for medical school so try to get biochemistry in your last year. Also you should have at least Statistic's or Calculus as a math course. Some schools want to see that you have pyschology and social science as well. The reason I did not mention it is because some undergraduate school require this so there is no need to mention it. Try to take the MCAT in April in your Junior year or Senior year although you don't want to wait until you Senior year to start applying to medical school. Some schools will allow you apply when you have at least 90 credits. So I would advise that as soon as you get to 90 credits and you know you have a solid GPA of at least 3.5, start applying to medical school.

Lastly, never give up trying. You may have to keep applying to medical school before you get an acceptance letter. And remember, enjoy your studies in undergraduate school. Don't choose a major just because you think it will get you into medical school. If you love english, study english. If you love history, study history. Don't be a science gunner unless you love sciences. Most importantly, now is the time to shadow a physician. You may have to do some calling around to find a physician who is willing to allow you to shadow him/her. If this is not possible, go volunteer at the hospitals. They are always looking for good people. Did I mention to have fun?

I don't believe in luck so I'll say be well and study well,

Shrami said:

Well since your just starting your undergraduate work, First thing is keep your GPA above 3.5. That's about a B+. I would advise you to start on your pre-med's as soon as you can. If you put it off, you may then be craming for the MCAT. Start off taking Bio and chem. Your second semester, take the second half of bio and chem. Avoid sciences in the summer unless your real confident that you can do well in half the time. Your third semester, you should be taking Organic Chem and Physic's. Your fourth semester you should be on your last Organic Chem and Physic's. Total time is 2yrs. You can then begin to study for the MCAT and have your last 2 yrs of college for improving your GPA if needed. Biochemistry is voted as being very helpful for medical school so try to get biochemistry in your last year. Also you should have at least Statistic's or Calculus as a math course. Some schools want to see that you have pyschology and social science as well. The reason I did not mention it is because some undergraduate school require this so there is no need to mention it. Try to take the MCAT in April in your Junior year or Senior year although you don't want to wait until you Senior year to start applying to medical school. Some schools will allow you apply when you have at least 90 credits. So I would advise that as soon as you get to 90 credits and you know you have a solid GPA of at least 3.5, start applying to medical school.

Lastly, never give up trying. You may have to keep applying to medical school before you get an acceptance letter. And remember, enjoy your studies in undergraduate school. Don't choose a major just because you think it will get you into medical school. If you love english, study english. If you love history, study history. Don't be a science gunner unless you love sciences. Most importantly, now is the time to shadow a physician. You may have to do some calling around to find a physician who is willing to allow you to shadow him/her. If this is not possible, go volunteer at the hospitals. They are always looking for good people. Did I mention to have fun?

I don't believe in luck so I'll say be well and study well,

thanks a bunch jasmine! i'll take a note on that.