*****I need help with my direction******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoctor07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am 22 years old and im about to graduate with my B.S in psychology...I have took most of the pre-med courses because i knew i wanted to go to medical school.....i missing organic chemistry 1 & 2 and i have 3 C's in 3 of my previous science courses that i took for med school......my cumulative gpa graduating should be a 3.0.:( i need help in what to do after i graduate so i can get into medical school...i havent took the MCATs yet im still studying...can someone please help me with some ideas of direction....thank you!!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

1) Do a (edit:) Post Bacc to improve your GPA
2) Retake those classes and consider DO schools because they do grade replacement.
3) Study well and do great on the MCAT.

Last edited:
1) Do an SMP to improve your GPA
2) Retake those classes and consider DO schools because they do grade replacement.

+1
4) Volunteer at a hospital, and/or shadow some physicians. Start building EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 3.0, you'll have to invest in some damage control. If you consider DO schools, they have a grade replacement policy that will allow you to retake any bad grades and up that GPA real quick. Allopathic schools don't have a grade replacement policy. Any new grades received, as a result of a retake, simply get averaged in with any of your old grades. For this reason, damage control in the case of allopathic schools is a longer process, and more expensive. But it can be done by taking post-bacc classes in upper level science courses and getting A's, to prove you can handle science intensive courses.

You don't seem to have many EC's. You'll need clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, leadership, and perhaps some research to be competitive.

Finally, beast the MCAT, and don't take it until you are ready. The last thing you need is a score below 25 to permanently damage your record.

1) Do an SMP to improve your GPA

An SMP does not improve one's GPA. An SMP is essentially a super expensive audition for medical school. I would not recommend one since it is the end of OP's chances to get into a medical school if he does not ace it. Additionally, he can't even get into an SMP until he takes the MCAT since SMPs require a good MCAT score.

An SMP does not improve one's GPA. An SMP is essentially a super expensive audition for medical school. I would not recommend one since it is the end of OP's chances to get into a medical school if he does not ace it. Additionally, he can't even get into an SMP until he takes the MCAT since SMPs require a good MCAT score.

I always thought SMP grades would be factored into the UG GPA and (provided that you did well), it could help improve your GPA in time for application. I remember reading about this somewhere in AAMC. But I understand what you mean when you say it would end his chances if he doesn't ace it.

Edit: From AAMC about PostBacc PreMed programs

The purposes of these programs vary. Some are designed for persons wishing to change careers; these individuals have not yet completed the science courses required for medical school application. Other programs are designed for persons wishing to enhance an existing academic record; these students have taken the requisite courses, but need to improve their GPAs to increase the competitiveness of their medical school applications. Still other programs are specifically designed to assist persons from groups currently underrepresented in medicine or from educationally or economically disadvantaged backgrounds.

Last edited:
I always thought SMP grades would be factored into the UG GPA and (provided that you did well), it could help improve your GPA in time for application. I remember reading about this somewhere in AAMC. But I understand what you mean when you say it would end his chances if he doesn't ace it.

Edit: From AAMC about PostBacc PreMed programs

The purposes of these programs vary. Some are designed for persons wishing to change careers; these individuals have not yet completed the science courses required for medical school application. Other programs are designed for persons wishing to enhance an existing academic record; these students have taken the requisite courses, but need to improve their GPAs to increase the competitiveness of their medical school applications. Still other programs are specifically designed to assist persons from groups currently underrepresented in medicine or from educationally or economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
SMP grades are not factored in with your UG GPA. SMP means Special Master's Program. Grades used for a graduate-level degree are factored as graduate GPA.

They still improve your academic record because they show you can handle the medical school coursework

You would need to do a post-bacc to improve your UG GPA, which is exactly what your quote from the AAMC is talking about. Postbacc is not the same as SMP

SMP grades are not factored in with your UG GPA. SMP means Special Master's Program. Grades used for a graduate-level degree are factored as graduate GPA.

They still improve your academic record because they show you can handle the medical school coursework

You would need to do a post-bacc to improve your UG GPA, which is exactly what your quote from the AAMC is talking about. Postbacc is not the same as SMP

Ahh.. I see. Thanks. I will edit my original message.