I need help choosing OCHEM class!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deniz_serifoglu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I read several posts here about taking ochem online, but most comments seem confusing for me! I’ve to take it online bc I can’t take it on campus next semester for many reasons plus I want to take it now (during summer) because I don’t have anything else to worry about and I’ll spend all my time studying this class. It has to be at 4yrs university otherwise financial aid won’t pay for it.

right now I’m thinking about Minnesota State University ( chem 350 with Jasperse Craig) and Oregon State University. I already have a credit for the lab portion (A+) so I just need the lecture. I’m almost out of time and I’ll really appreciate your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If those schools are noticeably less selective than your normal institution, taking the summer class might raise some eyebrows. It's something else to consider.

Last edited:
Altblue is right, adcoms usually don't look favorably on taking pre-reqs somewhere other than your home institution (or online), especially if it's something like Organic 2 which is known to be difficult at most schools, it might seem as if you're trying to take the easy way out. I've seen some adcoms on here say that one or two classes isn't that big of a deal, but it's something to consider moving forward. Same goes for online classes- I think they are generally known to be easier than the face-to-face counterpart. If you have a solid reason for taking it online (like your parents being in the military and moving you abroad where you don't have access to in person courses) then it's probably still fine.

Another thing to consider is that some med schools do not accept online pre-reqs, so make sure the schools you will be applying to will accept the online credits for a pre-req course