I need advise....Still don't know what I want to do :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DickDastardly87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just got my mcat score back and now I have some decisions to make....I am a senior biology major at a division I school and my is 3.8 overall and a 3.6 science. I am also a resident of Georgia...I guess that may up my chances getting into Mercer...but I took the mcat in september for the first time and just found out what I got......23 :eek:! I don't know what I was expecting, I scored high teens on my practice tests and the highest prior to the big test day was a 21. I studied for like 3 months and I have no desire to take it again. Obviously I realize that medical school can be crossed off the list, but now I'm debating between DO school and podiatry school. I was originally more partial towards podiatry school, but after reading several negatives about podiatry...I'm now alittle more towards DO school...........ok so 1.) Do I have a decent shot at DO or Podiatry school? 2.) Does anyone have any thoughts on podiatry and where that profession is going?
I realize I have waited kinda late to start applying places, but I'm just stuck on what to do

Members don't see this ad.

Well I just got my mcat score back and now I have some decisions to make....I am a senior biology major at a division I school and my is 3.8 overall and a 3.6 science. I am also a resident of Georgia...I guess that may up my chances getting into Mercer...but I took the mcat in september for the first time and just found out what I got......23 :eek:! I don't know what I was expecting, I scored high teens on my practice tests and the highest prior to the big test day was a 21. I studied for like 3 months and I have no desire to take it again. Obviously I realize that medical school can be crossed off the list, but now I'm debating between DO school and podiatry school. I was originally more partial towards podiatry school, but after reading several negatives about podiatry...I'm now alittle more towards DO school...........ok so 1.) Do I have a decent shot at DO or Podiatry school? 2.) Does anyone have any thoughts on podiatry and where that profession is going?
I realize I have waited kinda late to start applying places, but I'm just stuck on what to do

If you are implying that you plan to apply this year (to DO schools, I know nothing about podiatry) then your chances are pretty low. I think you could get in somewhere if you applied with that MCAT and GPA early and broadly, but not this late in the application season.

A GPA of 3.8 and MCAT of 23 are enough to get you into some of the DO med schools and many of the podiatric schools, from what I've read. For more perspectives on a DPM, check out SDN's prepod forum. There is also a very active pre-osteo forum where you can ask more specific questions than we can help you with.