This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future.NC.doc

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question on the path I am having to take to get to medical school.

I am an adult student and had to start college at 24 instead of 18 years old. I started my collegiate career at a community college in my home state. I received mostly A’s and B’s but I did not finish with my transfer degree aka Associates in Arts Degree. I transferred to a highly ranked private university I got a full ride to. I am finishing my bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Management as well as a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology.

I did not pursue the Pre-Medical track or the Biology track due to me wanting to have a back up plan in case medical school does not work out. As a result of me not taking the pre-medical or biology track. I am unable to take the prerequisites for most medical schools. The college that I attend now is a small university and the way the degrees are set up is that there is not a way to take extra classes outside of my two majors. I am now having to take my medical prerequisites at my old community college.

Mostly due to the cost being $76.00 versus $1,500 a credit hour at my university. I will be taking General BIO 1&2, Organic Chem 1&2, CHEM 1&2, GEN PHY 1&2, I am also going to take biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, as well as A&P 1 and 2. At my old community college. I am currently taking 18 credit hours at my university and I am going to take 3-4 courses at Gaston College starting in the Spring Semester until I graduate in 2 years. I will also be taking summer courses at my old community college during the summer too.

I know this is a lot and I don’t mean to boast but I am extremely intelligent and can handle a lot of things going on at the same time. I require little sleep and I can handle large amounts of stress so I know I can handle this. What is yall’s opinion on me taking my prerequisites at a community college given the situation that I am in? I know that if I get A’s in my science courses and score very high on my MCAT. Admissions committees will not look down on me as bad since I did not compete them at a university. I hope that they also take into my situation with me being an adult student me having 3 part time jobs as well as being a full time student at a university and a part time student at a community college Also if any of you have any ideas that you think will bolster my chances of getting into medical school I would love to hear them.

Members don't see this ad.

First, don't be discouraged just because you're an older student!

Second, besides the courses and the numbers, it's also important to show the medical school "why medicine".

Third, have you taken the MCAT yet? If not, start planning on how you will study for it!

All in all, I would suggest learning more about medicine to see if this is truly the path you want to pursue.

Hope this helps!