I need advice for DAT & pre-req. time-frame

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tywebb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings! I plan on attending dental school in the fall of 2006. The problem is that I have to take many pre.-req's and the DAT. I would like to attend the University of Florida in 2006. The school's website says that students should apply in the summer one year before the fall thay plan on enrolling.

So I have have 2 years to finish my pre-req's. That is plenty of time. However, I want to do well on the DAT and the university recommends taking it the spring before the summer I apply.

I have a poli sci degree and I have not taken any chemistry courses in college. If I take chemistry one semester at a time that means I will not have taken any organic chemestry if I take the DAT in spring.

-Is it nesessary to take organic chemistry in order to do well on the DAT? (probably a stupid question)

-is it possible to take gen. chem 1 & 2 at the same time?

I really need some help from you so I can formulate a realistic plan to take to do well on the DAT, take couses that are nessesary for the DAT, and apply to the UoF next summer so I can enroll for the fall of 2006.

Thank you! Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

yes you should definitely try to take at least one full semester of orgo before taking the test. organic chemistry is a whole different can of worms compared to basic inorganic chem.
and IMHO it's not a good idea to take chem I and II together, especially if you have no previous background in the subject matter. have you considered doing intensive summer study? if time is such an issue, you can take summer courses.
hope that helps :)

How about if I took chem 1 my first semester, then chem 2 and organic chem 1 together the second semester? The website says I should take the DAT no later than early summer the year before I plan to enroll. So I do not feel like I have the option to take courses over the summer to prepare for the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
How imparitive is it that you enter school in 2006? The University of Florida also requires Microbiology, Biochemistry, and Genetics... have you completed these courses? If not, I might recommend that you give yourself enough time to do well in the classes (maintain an A average) and get a better feel for the material.

Well, I could meet these requirments in 2 years. I would also have two future summers to go to school. I would really like to get into dental school for the fall of 2006, that way I could start practicing at 30. If I could take the DAT early next summer and get a great grade I would be be in a good position to meet these goals.

Hey ty-

I am in almost exactly the same position as you right now so I figured I'd chime in and let you know what I'm doing. I graduated this spring with a poli sci and no chem too and decided to shoot for 2006 matriculation into dental school. I am taking chem1 right now, which helped out because of the problem you are facing. I am still going to miss the second semester of orgo because of the sequence of chem. I thought about taking chem2 and orgo1 like you are but a lot of poeple told me that it would be extraordinarily difficult (especially will little science background). I also was shot down by my school in petitioning to take them concurrently. If you really wanna try it just make sure your local schools will allow you to do so first--they can be pretty strict about it. If its not too late try to get into a summer course this summer or at the very least take orgo early in the summer next year and take the DAT in mid-summer. I don't think you would be at much of a disadvantage if you get the rest of your application materials in early.

Good Luck,
Ryan

Oh and you can PM or IM (same moniker) me if you wanna go into more depth since we are both in the same boat.

I graduated with an accounting degree in 2002, and I had none of the pre-reqs under my belt. I started classes last fall (Fall 2003) and I just took the DAT in June. I applied through AADSAS in May, and, as of today, I have one interview invite. Here is my schedule:

Fall Semester 2003:

Chem I

Winter Semester 2004:

Chem II
Physiology + Lab
Vertebrate Biology + Lab

Spring Term 2004:

OChem I
Physics Lab

Anyway, I did well on the DAT with only 1 semester of Ochem. I think it's entirely possible to get all the classes you need to do well for DAT by May 2005. You don't have to finish all the pre-reqs before you apply, so just take the ones that will help you on the DAT. For instance, right now (summer term) I'm taking Ochem II, Anatomy, and Chem II Lab. During the fall, I'll take Physics II + Lab and Biochemistry. In december, I'll be done taking all of the pre-reqs.

Also, at my school they allow you to take Ochem I at the same time as Chem II. So, if you feel like you can swing it, then go for it.

Great! Thanks for the ideas. In my four years at UW-Madison I never even thought to look if classes were offered during the winter. Is it common to have a winter semester? Was it difficult to take all thoses classes during the winter semester?