I need a second opinion on what I have to do!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superfresh905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So currently I am working in a lab that I just started 3 months ago. It's a work study position where I do basic lab work for the researchers and then the basic "bitch" work that undergrads do, such as restocking, throwing trash, etc. I joined the lab because I honestly wanted to gain more experience in laboratory techniques. I've been working for 3 months now and I've learned A LOT and more than I expected, but a part of me feels as though that I'm not really benefiting from it because it has nothing to what I want to do in the future, which is medical school. Aside from this I don't do research in the lab, I'm in charge of the maintenance I guess. But I am in another lab that I DON'T get paid in, but am doing my own research.

The one thing about the lab that I am in that I get paid for while doing not so fun stuff, is I am guaranteed a full-time position after I graduate and the people I work with are great. Honestly, that is the only reason I've stayed, otherwise, I have no interest.

On the other hand, I just interviewed for a clinical research position at a major institute. I've done clinical research before and I've found that it's more up my alley because I get to talk to patients, which is essentially almost like what I want to do in the future. But the thing is, I'm not guaranteed that full-time position in the future. It's a maybe.

So my question is, do I leave my current job that I've only been at for 3 months where the people are great, guaranteed full-time position, but crappy work for another position that I find will be more beneficial but isn't guaranteeing me a full-time position. OR do I stay at my current job and see how it goes and hope that when I become full-time I have more of a less bitch work position.

I'm torn, so if I could get another or a few opinions on what you guys would do, I would so greatly appreciate it!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you need a full time job or not? It's nice not to have to come out of undergrad looking for a job, and if you like the people that you work with, that is a bonus. You may not like the work, but you're getting paid to do it. I assume you're taking a gap year; just remember that you're only going to be there for a year and use it as a stepping stone to better things.

Also, you say that you've learned a lot more than you expected, yet it's unfulfilling because it is not like medicine. I don't think that the clinical research position is any more "beneficial" to you.

Reactions: 1 user
From an admissions perspective, if you don't have other patient interaction experience, take the new job. If you already have a substantial EC involving working with patients, I'd stick with the current job just so that you have a bit more of a longitudinal research experience (plus you'd likely/hopefully get a presentation or poster out of it). As for the other stuff-commute, life, happiness with work-only you can decide how to rate their importance.