I messed up my first 1.5 years of undergrad. Do I even stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streamers708

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have suffered from a health problem that affected my concentration and overall quality of life.
I just recently was diagnosed with a parathyroid tumor so I'm gonna have surgery soon to have it removed.
During this Christmas break, I plan on restoring my physical and mental health after the operation and getting my life back in order. I know I am capable of much more than these awful grades.

My stats from first year 1st semester
Calculus I : C+ (retaken, first grade of D+)
Fundamentals of Neuroscience : B-
Humanities : A-
bio 1 : C

Currently a 1st sem sophomore
and my gpa is going to drop because of organic chemistry

----say my gpa ends up being somewhere between 2.5 and 3.0 overall after 1.5 years of undergrad, my question is

1. Do I have a chance of getting into a DO/Med school without having to do post bach work?
(I really don't want to spend the extra time and money on post bach work)
- I have taken 15 credits a semester, if i take 17 credits along with summer work i can perhaps pull it up to 3.5-3.6 by the end of senior year.
2. What can I do to combat my low gpa and make my app stellar?

Members don't see this ad.

If you completely turn things around with consistent 3.9+ GPAs for your next ~5 semesters than you will be fine GPA wise. You also would want to consider retaking Gen Chem 1 at some point if it's convenient. I had a shaky first few semesters too but then, like I just described, got all As my last 5 semesters and ended up graduating magna cum laude. In my case I was simply not at all accustomed to studying and had to get used to it but once I did, school became easy. IDK about your specific situation though.
So,
1. Yes, If you do really well basically from here on out.
2. If you destroy the MCAT that can help you out if your GPA is borderline (by borderline I'm talking like 3.55- <3.7.) You should also always be working on ECs just like every applicant.

Don't assume your gpa will drop because of organic, I thought the same thing and organic was just as easy as gen chem for me; I think the reason premeds make orgo out to be the hardest thing ever is because they try to memorize it like bio (as a good portion of them are bio majors) and crash and burn.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, Orgo is just much harder than Gen Chem for the majority of people, and most Orgo professors are MUCH stricter than Gen Chem professors. You're in the extreme minority.

Nah, Orgo is just much harder than Gen Chem for the majority of people, and most Orgo professors are MUCH stricter than Gen Chem professors. You're in the extreme minority.
I edited, my post, 5x was an exaggeration, I just didn't have any increase in difficulty. I suppose I may be in the minority.

Reactions: 1 user
As many others have asked before you, No you haven't ruined your chances for med school.

Yes, you can still get in with those Cs from freshman year (although if you had to choose which courses to C in, I wouldn't have recommended intro science classes).

If that semester of low GPA ever comes up in your application, you have a solid reason to explain the initial dip.

Upward GPA trends are a plus (insert here that cool chart that shows the factors of importance in your application that I'm too lazy to find)

Do well on MCAT (an equally important factor in your application, not just GPA).

And obviously as you mentioned yourself, get well and feel better.

If you 4.0-out, you'll be just fine.

I wouldn't worry about taking more units to force up your GPA. Schools can understand a bad year, if you correct. But if you strain yourself and end up getting a 3.8 the rest of college (with a higher cumulative GPA) you won't do as well as if you end up getting a 3.9 (albeit with a lower cumulative GPA). You just put, in the "explain discrepancies" section, "without that crappy year my GPA woulda been X."

Last edited:
Yes, just do well (GPA 3.7+) from now on.

1. Do I have a chance of getting into a DO/Med school without having to do post bach work?
(I really don't want to spend the extra time and money on post bach work)

Sounds good. The key is showing that the you of now (healed) is not the you of then. And terribly sorry to hear of your woes....god luck on the surgery!

- I have taken 15 credits a semester, if i take 17 credits along with summer work i can perhaps pull it up to 3.5-3.6 by the end of senior year.

Do well on MCAT and engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself. For patient contact experience, volunteer in a nursing home or hospice.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

2. What can I do to combat my low gpa and make my app stellar?[/QUOTE]

Yes you have a chance, but basically you've used up all your chances for messing up already. So for the next couple years it's gotta be all work, all the time.

The MCAT will have a larger role in the admissions process for you. Make sure to set aside significant time to prep for the test.

Also I'd strongly recommend a gap year (apply at the end of senior year instead of junior year). You can use that extra year to work in a healthcare field, lab, or take extra classes if you want. It's very beneficial for almost any application.

OP, the biggest issue seems to be if you are employing the correct study methods here. Have you been using Anki for biology? How long do you spend studying per week? I know anki might not be the best for everyone, but it's a very solid resource.