I may be in the minority, but I thought it sucked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading all the posts in the compiled step one experiences thread, I had the sense that the test "wasn't that bad".

Well guess what? I just want to give a shout out to my peeps who thought this test pretty much the worst experience in med school, because that's about where I am with it.

I think I would rather have my nails ripped out by rabid monkeys than ever go through that again. And I swear to god if you've read any post from me ever you know I'm not a complainer, I hate complainers, I don't look for opportunities to complain....but this is my moment.

I had horrible nerves the entire time, not once did I calm down and "get into a groove", I had a pounding headache (I never get headaches) and everything I thought I knew left me the moment I sat down. I think they must've had some spy watching me study and reporting the topics that I didn't cover because that was what I was tested on.

Anyhoo, if any of you are a little frazzled after your test, could you please share so I know I'm not the only one?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah that's my main problem. I keep thinking of the ones I wasn't sure about or could narrow down to two or so and then the ones that I know I got wrong ( looked them up afterward or saw the answers when looking for something I was unsure about at break). I have a few weeks until I find out how I made out and if I worked myself up for no reason.

Samoa said:
Hi guys. Newly minted 4th year here. I just wanted to let you know that I totally felt the same way during my Step 1, and it was all OK in the end.

I posted on the Compiled Experiences thread last year (post #178). Although I was trying to make light of it, I had a horrible case of test anxiety, which I've never had happen to me before. And when it was done, I felt sick to my stomach about my performance.

Seriously, I've never cancelled a score on a standardized test, and the only reason I didn't cancel my score that day was because I didn't know if the cancellation would show up on my record. I've always been a good test-taker. So I never pictured myself in a situation where I'd want to cancel, and I don't even look at that option beforehand.

I didn't do as well as my end-of-year shelf scores predicted, but I did well enough to make me a competitive applicant for a very competitive residency. And in the end that's all that matters. The rest is just bragging rights.

Thanks for the feedback. That's completely how I felt and I remember very little except some questions going back I know I got wrong from the morning( and looking back they seemed so simple if not for my anxiety). Right now my general feeling is I hope I pulled off a pass despite my nerves!

astaley said:
It is definately normal to dwell on those questions you didn't know, or worse actually knew but put down the wrong answer to. I knew my molecular biology in and out and just put down the wrong answer for several questions and realized my mistake afterwards.
I also had that nasty screen that comes up when you don't move the mouse for 3 minutes or whatever.. so the entire last half of the test I thought I was in trouble or would have some mark on my transcript.
But... even after all that, my score turned out to be smack in the middle of my NBME #1 and NBME #2 exams.

OMG I hated that pop up screen. I'm like "can't I think for 34 f-ing seconds?" Jeez!

Members don't see this ad :)
well, I have been reading this thread since it popped up and now that I sat for the exam I figured I would share.

monitor flicker was definitely there all day, as was a Prometric employee who locked my computer after returning from the first break by typing in his code instead of letting me press any key to get back into the next block. So there was a dialog box that said "enter employee code to cancel test" and I'm thinking, you turd you're wasting my breaktime and the first block went well so this better not get cancelled. That was between blocks 1&2. After about the 3rd or 4th block, I had just started my block and moved the monitor face *down* to minimize the glare from the nasty overhead lights, and my screen went BLACK. Did I raise my hand? Heck no, I powered the monitor on and off to no avail, and then ran to the front desk, got the guy who locked my test up before and made him come out (thank god it had come back because who knows what he would have done then). His comment? "The monitors just do that sometimes". OY.

Other than that, logistics were fine.

As for the exam, my patients were some combination of pregnant, long time smokers, had trouble breathing, or had apnea. I had like 4 guys who had apnea, with really similar vignettes. Maybe they were testing some new questions, who knows. Also, I didn't have a lot of molecular bio as people have been reporting (but wouldnt know much anyways b/c our curriculum was light on that) but I did have two questions on the receptor class or receptor mechanism of Vitamin D! Not too much Behavioral stuff, I took some time with BRS comprehensive exam and the charts in the book that say "Fadem's guide to USMLE Questions" and that is plenty for that stuff. I didnt have time to do all the NBME's, but I definitely had some questions that were similar to or exactly like NBME or the free questions, so if you have time, like others before have said, it might be worth it. Anatomy was not too bad- had more neuroanatomy than anything else but i like that stuff b/c Nolte was our prof. Had maybe a couple UE nerves and the parotid duct(!)
Not too much micro- one fungus (tx for Sporothrix), a few viruses (how big is the picornavirus on an mRNA gel?) and the rest bacteria. Most were pneumonia as my overall "theme" seemed to be respiratory. Had a custard/picnic Staph a food poisoning. That's about all I can remember, you can PM me if you have any burning questions.

Peace out.

OldLady said:
Anatomy was not too bad- had more neuroanatomy than anything else but i like that stuff b/c Nolte was our prof. Had maybe a couple UE nerves and the parotid duct(!)
Not too much micro- one fungus (tx for Sporothrix), a few viruses (how big is the picornavirus on an mRNA gel?) and the rest bacteria. Most were pneumonia as my overall "theme" seemed to be respiratory. Had a custard/picnic Staph a food poisoning. That's about all I can remember, you can PM me if you have any burning questions.

Peace out.

DUDE we had the same test...so that was the parotid duct? SCORE! I put staph for the custard too! I totally f*cked up the neuroanatomy - forgot a lot and didn't review it like at all....can't believe Nolte taught you, I'm jealous.

Brickhouse said:
DUDE we had the same test...so that was the parotid duct? SCORE! I put staph for the custard too! I totally f*cked up the neuroanatomy - forgot a lot and didn't review it like at all....can't believe Nolte taught you, I'm jealous.

He's seriously THE MAN. Nice guy. But I think he would be disappointed in me. I didnt study it much bc i liked the class, so i forced myself to review stuff I didn't like/avoided. SO i think I messed some stuff up that while not sitting for an 8 hour exam I can explain readily. Oh well.

Thanks for this thread. Even tho I read it before sitting for the real thing, it actually helped me to know I would not know everything, to read the questions, and BREATHE.

OldLady said:
Thanks for this thread. Even tho I read it before sitting for the real thing, it actually helped me to know I would not know everything, to read the questions, and BREATHE.

nice :thumbup:

I was so freaked out reading this thread the night before I took my Step 1.
I have to admit. I think somebody upstairs felt bad for me and gave me one of the easier Step 1's.
Why.
I had no mad scientist questions.
I had one cross section. And it was basically a liver bleed. Pretty easy.
I had alot of pharm. but I studied that like a crackhead.
I had one mercury toxicity... I only knew about it because I did a question similar to it in a Rapid Review Book.
All in all.... I studied one day after our shelf exams till one day before the step 1. 8-12 hours a day with no breaks.
So maybe I was very prepared or maybe I was lucky. But I found myself praying for more pathology questions... because they are so darn easy.
So all in alll.... yawn.
Which doesn't mean I killed it./.. it just means I am confident I passed it.
.Spider

Spider, it doesn't sound like you had an easy test. It just sounds like you are really good at pharm (and got a bit lucky getting the right questions).
Personally, I think I'd do better on "mad scientist" questions (if, by that, you mean biochem), then on pharm. Today, I just realized that I am confusing buprenorphine, bupropion, buspirone, and bupivicaine...
Anyway, thanks for all the posts guys, it was quite informative and helpful...taking it tomorrow, hoping to get my favorite questions. Behavioral science, bizzare drugs, risk-factors-that-all-sound-the-same, and pathology slides, stay away from me!

xjacob said:
Spider, it doesn't sound like you had an easy test. It just sounds like you are really good at pharm (and got a bit lucky getting the right questions).
Personally, I think I'd do better on "mad scientist" questions (if, by that, you mean biochem), then on pharm. Today, I just realized that I am confusing buprenorphine, bupropion, buspirone, and bupivicaine...
Anyway, thanks for all the posts guys, it was quite informative and helpful...taking it tomorrow, hoping to get my favorite questions. Behavioral science, bizzare drugs, risk-factors-that-all-sound-the-same, and pathology slides, stay away from me!

Good luck! I hear you on the "Bup" drugs. Good god I have a lot of reviewing to do throughout my first rotation!
Really the point is not to be scared, it is to be open to whatever experience the Boards turns out to be for you. Open your mind and prepare for everything from "this isn't too bad" to "OMG please end my misery now". Either way, you'll get through it.

xjacob said:
hey xjacob, you're taking it tomorrow, too? Me, too! Good luck!

I'm hoping not to get weird molbio questions and instead get more path....In fact, I wish this exam were all path... I pray for path... I'll post tomorrow after the exam.

Well I truly wish one could trade exams. This way, I could switch my patho-laden test with emily's mol bio-intensive one (you know it's gonna end up that way...that's Murphy's law). Isn't that what they want us to be? "Experts in specialized fields?" :)
I'll try to heed brickhouse's advice, and prepare for eveything, although right now I am actually nervous about being too relaxed, as paradoxical as that may sound.
Good luck emily and anyone else taking it tomorrow!

I still have a week left, but I have barely been studying at all, literally, and can't seem to get myself to. I have been spending a little time in clinic, so maybe a little of that will apply, but there has been very little studying going on for a very long time. :( And it's not because I know all or most or a large amount of it...though I know I will at least pass (unless something awful happens)...I've already postponed it a month, and still not much more learned...guess I should just suck it up, force myself to cram some these last few days, and get it over with?

Sorry for the mini-hijack...

Members don't see this ad :)
closertofine said:
I still have a week left, but I have barely been studying at all, literally, and can't seem to get myself to. I have been spending a little time in clinic, so maybe a little of that will apply, but there has been very little studying going on for a very long time. :( And it's not because I know all or most or a large amount of it...though I know I will at least pass (unless something awful happens)...I've already postponed it a month, and still not much more learned...guess I should just suck it up, force myself to cram some these last few days, and get it over with?

Sorry for the mini-hijack...
hi hijacker! jk. yeah, I hear you about not wanting to study as much towards the end. Perhaps this means you are more ready than you let yourself believe. If I were you, I would take a full length practice test and check out your weakness(es) and then hone in on them for the last week.

Hey xjacob, it's good that you're relaxed! I feel oddly calm myself. I'm at the point where I'm ready to get this beast over with! It would be cool if we could take the same exam together: combined molbio-path powers!

Hope it went well emily.
I actually got a lot of mol. bio. (happy) but for every easy q in that subject, there'd be one evil patho question tormenting me. So I guess it balances out.
Anyway, in line with the subject of this thread, I will say, yes, I thought it sucked. There were very few, "wtf, I have never seen this before" questions, but tons of "I once knew this, and I know there is a trick somewhere, but I don't know where anymore" questions. Also, I got a number (although not too many) of questions where I learned that an (uncommon) disease presents with symptoms A and B...but they ask which one is more likely. I was proud of myself for just knowing the symptoms...never even dreamed about frequencies. Ah, the head still hurts, thinking about that.
So, I think I will now self-administer a loading dose of 2000ml 5.4% EtOH maltose solution PO (brand name "Heineken," distributed OTC in the "Liquor store" pharmacy chain). Perhaps that will calm me down. :)
Closertofine: You might wanna take a practice test (NBME). I don't think doing well means being ready, but not doing as well as one wants is pretty motivating. Anyway, a lot of the time, when you feel like it is hard to learn anything more, you are ready...but again, a self-assesment is useful.

Hey my fellow friends of bad Step I experiences....

I got my score today and I did ok!!! About average and not even near failing!

So this process has come full circle and here is my wisdom for future generations-

Don't feel pressured to come away from the test with a sense of serenity and accomplishement. The experience need not dictate the result. Take the test and let it suck entirely; cast out the need to have it be comfortable, and embrace the difficulty of it! Screw those people who thought it was "fine"!

I expected to feel calm and confident throughout the test. I expected to feel at peace when I was through.
Walking away from it, I expected to fail.
I am learning to let go of my expectations. :)

Same for me barely above average. Good luck everyone and CONGRATS!!!

Moral of the story, it's how you felt before you take the exam that counts. My scores on NBME 2 were 2 pts lower than my actual. Very good correlation.

Longtime SDNer posting under another name here.

Just wanted to add to this thread since I thought my exam kicked my a$$ big time. I was glad when Brickhouse posted this thread cuz it was getting a bit disheartening reading how everyone thought it was easy.

Anyways, 214 here. I guess that's gonna be just below the average? I'm okay with it. I would've loved to hit 220, but figured I'd end up right in the middle. I had a 178 before studying on NBME 1, a 209 on NBME 2 with about 2 weeks to go. My Q-Bank was in the 70s the last week, but only around 60% overall, with about 80% done. So I agree that NBME 2 was probably a good predictor since I think I forgot more than I learned at the end of my schedule.

Good luck to everyone, and don't freak if you feel bad leaving that beast of a test.

so, just took it yesterday and it sucked ass!:eek:

where do i start? the damn sleeping pills i took the night before so i could get to bed at 9pm didnt work, so i took another one. i was up till my usual 2am. woke up at 6am with a throbbing headache. reached the test center adn there is a sign saying 'we have moved":eek: WTF? then i see someone coming in from the test center saying that the move is going to be tomorrow:mad:

the first two blocks sucked! block three actally wasnt bad. the rest were similar to block 3 (a little harder maybe)

lots of mri's, lower limb anatomy. some really simple q's (SLE, DM2 diagnosis). not too many wtf questions, but i guessed on those and moved on. made some really stupid errors...i know of atleast 5 which were straight out of FA:mad: most of the pharm/path was OK. there were atleast 3-4 quesions about a patient taking a billion drugs and has this side effect and you have to figure out which drug is doing it. for psych there was stuff on informed consent, wills, doctor patient relationship, transferance/countertransferance. didnt have too much biochem, some the few that i had i think i screwed up:(

just hoping for the best at this point, but man, it was EVIL, EVIL I SAY:mad:

i did all the 4 nbmes. form 1 (440) then form 4(460) then form 3(470) and form 2 (490)...but the real thing kicked my ass bigtime. im just hoping to pass:thumbdown:

Wow - taking it so late - I thought you had to complete the test before finishing your first rotation of year 3? Congrats on being done though!

im an img. i cant do my rotations until i pass the beast. thanks brickhouse for this thread. it was comforting to read after i came back. i hope i have some good news to post here in about 4 weeks:scared:

Funny I took the "beast" that same day superoxide, congratulations on at least completing it.

I'm a 3rd year in Canada, and did not need to pass the exam, it was more a "keep my options open" kind of thing. I had 4 weeks of vacation last July, 2 weeks procrastinating, 2 weeks reading the first 330 pages de first-aid, and playing with some Qbank questions. Then 5 days before my test date, I re-re-re-re-schedule (!), then finally asked for an extension. I had my peds rotation first, so no time to study for step 1, 2 months pass, then comes my psych rotation. I thought "great, I'll have time to study now", well I read some psych, to at least know wtf to do when I'm on call in psych emerg, chilled, met a new girl (high maintenance crazy but hot lawyer chick, I won't dwell on this...), then found out I had 2 weeks until my exam. I read FA until completion, then read everything until cardio (not inclusive).

I was more worried about the amount of money invested for this *uckin' test, that I don't need, since I probably wont' apply to the States for res...but then, why not if I get a good score...

I had good pre-clinical teaching and solid basic sciences in the first couple of years, I actually scored a dean's list (top 10%) after 1st year, and above average in my intro to clinical medicine in the 2nd half of 2nd year, so I'm not the best, but I'm not the poorest of students.

I thought I could just wing it...little did I know that 7 sections would get my eyes flipping "free-games" by then end of the exam...

I'm not a native English speaker, that does not help for these "read fast, recognize fast" type of exams (I did not excel on the MCAT VR8PS10BS12WSQ) in "la langue de Shakespear", but I did have around 2 minutes left at the end of each block more or less. I never did a full length practice test.

Ok, the actual test, not so bad, I had to think well for some questions, but basically it went ok, except maybe less than 5 WTF questions. For instance, black kid peeing at night, what condition does he have...choice of random things that does NOT make me think of enuresis, I just ticked sickle cell dis, not really know wtf was happening...I just wanted them to ask me if I could give him a TCA...

Lots of clinical scenarii that have the "million dollar phrase leading to the answer", but I did not find it in all questions by any means.

Very little path, and when asked $hitty pictures, lots of poor quality MRI/XR/CTs...

Lots of mol bio/immunology, lots of neuroanatomy, lots of pharm, which I knew pretty well after spending some time in peds and psych, especially the abxs and their bugs of choice. The cardio questions were brutal, no classical scenarii by any means.

The "ethical" stuff, I wanted to kill myself, how do you tell Ms X that she indeed has syndrome X and she should lose some weight without hurting her feelings"...

I think I passed, and that's what I was aiming for.

We'll see in 6 weeks.

noncestvrai

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a lowly second year

I have heard some new info from two separate 3rd years. Are they are dropping their number of classic clinical cases for questions involving:

1.)research articles and how to apply new research to a patient.

2.)Info that we wouldn't know, but can deduce based on our scientific knowlege learned from first year

How true is this?

I have a feeling that theese questions may have been the experimental questions we will all encounter, because from what I know USMLE wont make major changes without making it public, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this

Step 1 (first attempt - April 29, 2006): 172/71:mad:
Step 1 (second attempt - November 9, 2006): 203/83:) Not as high as predicted, but I'm very happy to have this behind me.

NBME 1: 204 (2 months before)
NBME 4: 206 (1 month before)
NBME 3: 209 (2 weeks before)
NBME 2: 216 (2 days before)

I added all my notes from Qbank into my FA.
Did Robbins Review Questions (72% first time around, 84% second time around).
Goljan audio/rapid review book
USMLERx

Way to go superoxide. That has to be a big relief!

Step 1 (first attempt - April 29, 2006): 172/71:mad:
Step 1 (second attempt - November 9, 2006): 203/83:) Not as high as predicted, but I'm very happy to have this behind me.

NBME 1: 204 (2 months before)
NBME 4: 206 (1 month before)
NBME 3: 209 (2 weeks before)
NBME 2: 216 (2 days before)

I added all my notes from Qbank into my FA.
Did Robbins Review Questions (72% first time around, 84% second time around).
Goljan audio/rapid review book
USMLERx

Good job dude - looks like your hard work paid off, you should be proud.:thumbup: