I matched <--- FMG no fellowship no PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IzzyMD09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I CANT BELIEVE I MATCHED DERM

My School

Ben-Gurion University Medical School for International Health
icw/Columbia University Medical Center

Be'er Sheva, Israel

less than a 240 on step 1,
less than a 240 on step 2
1 year of research

Members don't see this ad.

Sweet, man! People were pulling for you here. Congrats.

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS!

I matched to derm as well, and I started at a Caribbean med school. I transferred out!

Glad all your hard work paid off!

hey izzy.

been following your journey throughout the entire process. i remember when you got your first interview. CONGRATS!!! you are proof that dedication pays off. enjoy this day.

I haven't been on SDN since I was applying in 2008, so I'm new to all this. Where did you interview, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks!

Strong work Izz,

One call, that's all.

Great news!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Congratulations.

All of you who have been advising me and following this journey of mine since the spring of 2006 when i first decided that Dermatology was my Destiny

1. I am not a chick, but its easy to see why because most applicants/residents are

2. I will reveal match day location on match day, its more magical that way

3. All my supporters advisors from this board, and every piece of information that both kept me sleepless at night and made me work that much harder I totally appreciate

thank you all

much love

izzy

congrats, Izzy. We were all pulling for you.

So Izzy, where'd you match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow congrats! Didn't even realize you were FMG but was rootin' for you!

I don't want to snuff out your fire Izzy, but your situation is so rare that I wonder who it is you knew that vouched for you that little bit to put you at the top of someone's pile. In a small competitive field like derm, connections are probably the most important factor.

I don't want to snuff out your fire Izzy, but your situation is so rare that I wonder who it is you knew that vouched for you that little bit to put you at the top of someone's pile. In a small competitive field like derm, connections are probably the most important factor.

Its not just rare....its borderline miraculous

The funny thing is, if I didn't interview for the preliminary PGY-1 Position, I would have never gotten the Dermatology interview because I am an FMGger hence the 115 rejections...(note to all FMG's out there that yes PD's will throw your application in the garbage without even a glance, you need to take years off for research and establish yourself prior to even thinking about applying)...

The day of my interview the chief resident pulled me aside to meet the department chair, as the only applicant doing so I was a bit shocked, especially when he said based on my app that he would see what he could do with the Dept of Derm Chair...

So I guess the moral of the story is kick ass in all your interviews, because if I had slacked at this prelim interview, I would never have gotten the derm one, which means I never would have matched.

I did have my PI and another researcher I worked with make phone calls, but those were only after this program submitted their rank list which was the day after we were all interviewed, so that actually ended up only being a sort of "yeah you were right in ranking him high" none of it actually ended up affecting where they would rank me!!!

Either way though and as I mentioned, it was a miracle amongst miracles, with the only help coming my way from a great prelim medicine interview

Sorry guys, I'm new-ish on the forum and completely new to the US system. What is a PI and what is a preliminary interwiev (for the PG1 position??) ?

And congrads Izzy!

Thanks

By preliminary interview, they mean the interview they were on for the preliminary medicine year (the first year out of medical school).

PI stands for 'Principal Investigator', also known as 'head of the lab', the boss, etc.

By preliminary interview, they mean the interview they were on for the preliminary medicine year (the first year out of medical school).

PI stands for 'Principal Investigator', also known as 'head of the lab', the boss, etc.

Thank you.
So to get a derm residency must one always do a 1 year of (preliminary med) residency somewhewre else, or can one go straight to derm residency?

You must do one year of preliminary med (or equivalent, such as a prelim year in fam med, peds, EM, surgery, or a transitional year).

Some dermatology residency programs offer an integrated 'preliminary' program year with their advanced dermatology program (also known as 'categorical programs'). Thus, you stay at the same institution for all 4 years. That first prelim year at the institution is reserved for the program's 'future' dermatology residents, who subsequently move on to year two (first year of dermatology training, technically) after completing the program's dermatology prelim year.

This is rare. Most programs work as you suggest, where the resident does a separate preliminary training year before going to another institution where they will train for three years of dermatology.

Sometimes, you can be accepted for your prelim year at the same place where you are accepted for your dermatology training, even though the prelim year is not integrated into the dermatology program. These prelim years are not reserved for the dermatology residents like they are in the integrated categorical programs.

If I may predict your next line of questioning, you apply for both the advanced dermatology 3 years and your preliminary year at the same time (you may also apply to categorical programs at this time as well).

If you complete a preliminary year or equivalent (or are currently completing that year), but have not been accepted to a dermatology program, you have two options:

1. Apply outside the match to a program where a spot has opened up. If you have finished your prelim or equivalent year, you may start in the program directly. This is dependent on programs opening up new positions or people dropping out of their positions.

2. Apply to dermatology programs in the match, and if you are accepted, do something for a the year that you would normally be doing your prelim or equivalent program.

Last edited:
You must do one year of preliminary med (or equivalent, such as a prelim year in fam med, peds, EM, surgery, or a transitional year).

Some dermatology residency programs offer an integrated 'preliminary' program year with their advanced dermatology program (also known as 'categorical programs'). Thus, you stay at the same institution for all 4 years. That first prelim year at the institution is reserved for the program's 'future' dermatology residents, who subsequently move on to year two (first year of dermatology training, technically) after completing the program's dermatology prelim year.

This is rare. Most programs work as you suggest, where the resident does a separate preliminary training year before going to another institution where they will train for three years of dermatology.

Sometimes, you can be accepted for your prelim year at the same place where you are accepted for your dermatology training, even though the prelim year is not integrated into the dermatology program. These prelim years are not reserved for the dermatology residents like they are in the integrated categorical programs.

If I may predict your next line of questioning, you apply for both the advanced dermatology 3 years and your preliminary year at the same time (you may also apply to categorical programs at this time as well).

If you complete a preliminary year or equivalent (or are currently completing that year), but have not been accepted to a dermatology program, you have two options:

1. Apply outside the match to a program where a spot has opened up. If you have finished your prelim or equivalent year, you may start in the program directly. This is dependent on programs opening up new positions or people dropping out of their positions.

2. Apply to dermatology programs in the match, and if you are accepted, do something for a the year that you would normally be doing your prelim or equivalent program.

Thank you so much for the info including the predictive thinking. My head is spinng now, wow! Is there a place where I may read up on the details of this process so that I don't bore you or wear you out?

Or - may I ask further : So if I understand correct, what you say is, when you apply for the match, you are applying to the derm programs and at the same time applying for 1 year prelim programs. Then the questions are

1)Are these prelim programs valid prelim for all advanced specialties?

2)Are they just 1 year programs? i.e. at the end of the 1 year you MUST move into something else

3)Is applying for the derm plus the prelim 1 year the same thing as applying for 2 different specialties in the match? By same thing I mean both by process and also how it's viewed. (My understanding was that you would be evaluated by program directors also by the intentions you have as to what specialties you're applying to)

Thanks again.

This is probably less rare that you think, actually.

I have been following your story and was excited to see that you matched.

There is hope!

1)Are these prelim programs valid prelim for all advanced specialties?

2)Are they just 1 year programs? i.e. at the end of the 1 year you MUST move into something else

3)Is applying for the derm plus the prelim 1 year the same thing as applying for 2 different specialties in the match? By same thing I mean both by process and also how it's viewed. (My understanding was that you would be evaluated by program directors also by the intentions you have as to what specialties you're applying to)

Thanks again.

1. They are valid prelim years for most any advanced specialty.

2. They are usually just 1 year programs. If you decide you like medicine and want to stay with it, some medicine programs will let you continue on in their program. Otherwise, it's one and out.

3. Applying for prelim year and derm is different than applying for 2 different specialties. You are expected to apply for a prelim program if you are applying for derm. Applying for another specialty is possible, but you will get varied responses on the advisability of this.

I could go into more about the primary and secondary lists of the ERAS application, but it would take up a lot of space. If you want to know more, send me a PM.

1. They are valid prelim years for most any advanced specialty.

2. They are usually just 1 year programs. If you decide you like medicine and want to stay with it, some medicine programs will let you continue on in their program. Otherwise, it's one and out.

3. Applying for prelim year and derm is different than applying for 2 different specialties. You are expected to apply for a prelim program if you are applying for derm. Applying for another specialty is possible, but you will get varied responses on the advisability of this.

I could go into more about the primary and secondary lists of the ERAS application, but it would take up a lot of space. If you want to know more, send me a PM.

Thank you. I'm absorbing all this info for now. Later, when perhaps I read up on this more and have more questions I may PM you then, if you don't mind.