I love Optometry, but Puerto Rico is my only chance !! need help from IAUPR students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple_Pie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I need honest opinion of ONLY reasonable people who have been to IAUPR

I really love to go into optometry and I think I have a chance of getting into Puerto Rico Optometry schools. HOwever, after reading a lot of posts on this forum I have gotten nervous of Puerto Rico Optometry school.

I am willing to go to Puerto Rico, but is it a legitimate school, which functions like any other normal optometry school ? or Is it a dead end school ? I know nothing in optometry schools any where is guaranteed. However, If I go to IAUPR and study reasonably there like any other average student in other Continental US optometry schools, would I pass the board test and become an optometrist ? And would hospitals and clinics in mainland America be willing to hire me even if I graduated from Puerto Rico ?

And is it required by IAUPR to take spanish classes in college ? I took some spanish classes in high school but not in college, and spanish is not my first language, and I am not good at it. Are all lectures given in English, for those who can't properly understand spanish ?

Is Puerto Rico like a normal optometry school (except that they also teach in Spanish ) or is it a waste of money and time ?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you actually live in Puerto Rico now or are planning to move there to attend the school?

hi,
i'm a current student at IAUPR and when i applied to pr i had the same concerns as you did. to help ease some of your concerns, IAUPR is accredited for the next 8 years or so... they got re-accredited a couple of years ago and everything was fine... just needed a little bit of fine tuning, but nothing major. plus the accrediting agency liked the fact that students are able to do the eye exams in spanish when they graduate (bilingual education).

there are lots of successful OD's that graduated from IAUPR that are practicing in the states. as for passing the boards, it's just like any other school.... you just have to put in the time to study for it.

with respect to the classes, all of your first year classes are in english. some of your classes in your second year are in spanish, but not the majority... but for those classes, the exams are in english, so just read the book and you'll be fine.

hope this helps...
good luck.

Apple_Pie said:
hi, I need honest opinion of ONLY reasonable people who have been to IAUPR

I really love to go into optometry and I think I have a chance of getting into Puerto Rico Optometry schools. HOwever, after reading a lot of posts on this forum I have gotten nervous of Puerto Rico Optometry school.

I am willing to go to Puerto Rico, but is it a legitimate school, which functions like any other normal optometry school ? or Is it a dead end school ? I know nothing in optometry schools any where is guaranteed. However, If I go to IAUPR and study reasonably there like any other average student in other Continental US optometry schools, would I pass the board test and become an optometrist ? And would hospitals and clinics in mainland America be willing to hire me even if I graduated from Puerto Rico ?

And is it required by IAUPR to take spanish classes in college ? I took some spanish classes in high school but not in college, and spanish is not my first language, and I am not good at it. Are all lectures given in English, for those who can't properly understand spanish ?

Is Puerto Rico like a normal optometry school (except that they also teach in Spanish ) or is it a waste of money and time ?