Technology I love my ISP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triniman

Taking over
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
beat this!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
attachment

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 130
At maximum speed my connection is about 1.5x down and 4x up the speed you are showing

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys opening up ports? I looked into it but haven't gotten around to it. Also not sure about privacy/security breaches and how opening ports affects that.

Are you guys opening up ports? I looked into it but haven't gotten around to it. Also not sure about privacy/security breaches and how opening ports affects that.

no

attachment

Got you by a little on the DL but you win on the UL :)

Last Result:
Download Speed: 22657 kbps (2832.1 KB/sec transfer rate) = 2.76572266 MB / sec transfer rate :D
Upload Speed: 2271 kbps (283.9 KB/sec transfer rate) = 0.277246094 MB / sec transfer rate :(

I used to get over 2 MB/sec DL but my dumb ISP has slowed us down and now I'm lucky to get 1 MB/sec DL. I always capped my UL as well.

It sucks because I can't get Netflix on the Xbox 360 because the picture quality is terrible at that low of a DL speed, especially when you're watching it blown up to 104".

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone's ISP slow to a crawl around midnight? It's as if they assume I'm off to bed and I don't have 2 more hours to YouTube to watch. I also suspect that they got into the groove of my schedule and cut down when they know my usage will be low, so if I skip a class or get home early, it's still agonizingly slow.

Some of the people here seem to be forgetting kb/Kb=Kilobit, whereas KB=Kilobyte. same thing with the megas, mb/Mb=Megabit whereas MB=Megabyte.

So in this instance,

411010177.png

Since they are listed in kb, you would need to divide by 8 to get the actual download speed. 19141/8 = 2393 KB/s [] 2393/1024 = 2.34 MB/s
Same with the upload speed. 2218/8 = 277 KB/s

Last edited:
Some of the people here seem to be forgetting kb/Kb=Kilobit, whereas KB=Kilobyte. same thing with the megas, mb/Mb=Megabit whereas MB=Megabyte.

So in this instance,

411010177.png

Since they are listed in kb, you would need to divide by 8 to get the actual download speed. 19141/8 = 2393 KB/s [] 2393/1024 = 2.34 MB/s

:laugh: That makes a lot more sense. I am an idiot.

So in this instance,

411010177.png

True, but ISP's advertise their speeds in Mbps, not MBps, so unless the dude has fiber that speed sounds falsely high. Though I used to get wild bursts like that when I had cable too.

Comcast speeds seen on speedtest sites are useless. It is all speedboost. In order to check the real speed it would require a much longer download.

Comcast speeds seen on speedtest sites are useless. It is all speedboost. In order to check the real speed it would require a much longer download.

my previous speed was d/l torrents, here is my speed on speedtest

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 63