I KNEW this would happen!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNnaloxone

DY-NO-MITE!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why must it be so hard?

I just got off the phone with the pharmacy recruiter for my top choice for a retail job. I was offered $98K. I have to let them know my March 1.

However, I wish to do a residency. Unfortunately, I won't know if I'll be matched to one until March 22. I suppose I will have to turn down the retail job.

Its not everyday you turn down $98K/year... AARGH!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if not that 98K job-you can always wait for the next-that is the going rate (at least for the N.E.)
I don't understand why you want to do a residency if they're offering you the real thing with lots of money???

Wow $98K salary? Where do you live and what retail store offered you this position? CVS? Walmart?

Did they offer u any other benefits or incentives?

Members don't see this ad :)
it may be more complicated than it seems. but i would take the job first while waiting for the match result. if you get the residency position, then u'll think about what to do. if not, u are still sitting on $98K.

I second that. Take the job and wait for match results. These recruiters know what doing, and it's not fair of them to make you commit prior to match results. They're not gonna be surprised if you change your mind.

Also, if you get a spot through the match, call the recruiter and ask if he/she can set you up with the recruiter in that city for a PRN position. You may want to work occasionally for the extra cash.

I think that I will talk to the recruiter in a week or so and explain my situation. I think that's better than taking the job and being counted on, and then backing out once things are in motion. I know that if I had a candidate do that to me, they'd receive a blackball if they ever applied with my company again. I'm amped to do a residency. If I don't land one, this retail pharmacy is the most agreeable of the chains I have experience with. Its just kind of a shock trying to grasp how much 98K is, and then knowing that you may have to turn the offer down.

I'm in Minneapolis, and the job offer was not with a traditional chain-I don't want to name names, but think of red and white dogs and you'll figure it out. For comparison, WAGs is 96K (if I remember the offer correctly). Rumors say that CVS, who is just entering this market, is recruiting at $110K. Benefits are pretty flat across the board, with minor differences-include health/dental, 401K match, 2 week vacation, etc.

MALA: Not the same thing-I'm waiting on residency match results for general hospital residency positions. I think I would rather give the year of my career for the experience and the opportunity that the residency would hopefully open up for me. If you have questions about residency, feel free to ask. You are correct in that I'll still be a pharmacist, but the two opportunities are quite different.

Samoa: No problem getting the PRN position-all the residencies I'm interviewing for (6 locations, 13 slots) are in Minneapolis. The fiancee is not moving, so neither can I.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Hi sorry im kinda new to pharmacy. But you are turning down a $98K job to do a residency. What exactly is the residency about and what would you learn from it and gain from it? What kind of new career options would be open for you from doing this residency? And lastly, with this new career options you find through making this sacrifice, would you be able to make more money than the $98K posiition?
Sorry for all these questions, but im studying to apply to pharmacy soon and I am just very curious and wanna know everything I can before I get admitted. Thanks

I guess it comes down to what your ultimate goal is in Pharmacy. If you want to work retail, a residency isn't really going to do much for you. But if you want to work in a hospital as a clinical pharmacist, a residency is integral. It just depends on what you want to do in the long-run.

~Pam

Sorry man, It's nice that you want the 'experience' and all, but I would rather have a life (house, car, vacations, family) than get more experience. I'm assuming you don't have a gf or anything because if you did, I would suspect she wouldn't want to wait around another year for you to do more schooling. My gf has been with me for a while (will be 4 yrs when we get married) and is going crazy because I never see her, and I've still got a couple years ahead of me.

No offense, it's just my opinion. If I wanted to do residency, I would have become a doctor. Oh, and if you're even thinking about retail, then why even bother with residency. You're educational expierences will be completely dumbed down to answering basic pharmacological questions, as well as OTC stuff. I feel that about about the pharmD degree as well. It's nothing special, you don't need a pharmD to do the job, even with the "rapidly growing industry" and anything you DO learn will be practically wasted in retail. Again, just my .02. I've worked in a pharmacy for years and this is just what I've seen. All of our BS pharmacists do the job fine.

In the end, the majority of the job is just blocking out a lot of the **** that doctors don't want to/have to put up with (i.e formulary stuff/OTC q's, ins./co-pay problems, etc). Now, i'm not knocking the job, because I love it, I'm just saying you don't need a "doctorate in pharmacy" to do it.:rolleyes: As I have little/no experience with clinical, I can only assume it's a little more useful to retain certain bits of info.

Maybe I'm just bitter...Here's a story that really pissed me off. Happened last night: Girl calls in and stops a doctor in surgery to call in an "emergency script" (for pain). Doctor, god knows why, calls in some ultracet. Again, girl calls us back and has us call the dr to change it to vicodin(prolly not enough of a high). Doc agrees (very irritated obviously at her). Two times for some damn vicodin, I'm sorry, but the nerve of some ppl. BTW, she's a druggie.

Nice post, SteveL.

I was lucky to attend a school with a heavy clinical focus. I didn't then and I still don't want to get the PharmD. I don't see the point. I went back to get my M.S. in a related field---parasitology. I'm thinking of going back to get my PhD.

loo

I am in a similar situation as MNnaloxone, even though I haven't talked to any recruiters I know the offers are out there waiting for the new graduates. It's kinda difficult to decide but retail is a deadend street in terms of advancement but the money is great. Clinical opportunities are out there but diminishing.. so I guess I'll find out on March 22nd what I'll be doing. If it's retail I'll be plenty happy... planning to work 60 hrs and drive the lastest coupe..