I just finished first year . . .now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How, so first year was rough and a bit tedious. Does it get better from here?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats ! I'm counting the days left :oops:

JulianCrane said:
I sure as hell hope so since I am in the same boat.... Two more weeks left for me.
then 1 more year of hell to get to the good stuff...

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school is anything like mine, then second year will be much, much better. More work, more info, but better.

Now go sleep and enjoy your last summer. :cool:

i thought 2nd year was more demanding, but at least your finally learning stuff that has some semblance of medicine

Definitely. 2nd year is just as hard as 1st but you have a routine down now and know what to expect. 3rd year is hard in a different way but way more fun. 4th year is easy school wise but stressful because of interviews and the match.

yeah Crane ol' buddy ol' pal, I think it will be different next year, and quite possibly a bit better because I hear the material is much more interesting and relevant. But remember, 'better' is in the eye of the beholder (and so is "sucky"), so we'll just have to jump off that bridge when we get there. Congrats on getting done....i've been done for about a week and I have been absolutely WORTHLESS these past couple of days. Its everything I could have ever dreamed it could be :horns:

Med school is an uphill climb. It gets harder and harder as you go along. But 4th year is pretty chill.

2nd year you'll be memorizing even more information and this stuff will be what's tested on Step 1. But on that vein, I thought the 2nd year material was more relevant for medicine and was more interesting.

JulianCrane said:
hey JC
everyone tells me it gets better from here on out (and i must believe them or i'd be on the bridge right now).
seriously though, it might not get easier to have to do scut work and rotations and have long hours etc etc. but first year is...well first year. and i for one am glad it is over. (edit: and just think--no more block schedule exams!)

plus, if nothing else you've got fantastic classmates, right? ;)

It varies by school...at my school, 2nd year was the worst and one I would never want to repeat. It got better after second year, but was the best during fourth year.

JulianCrane said:
I just finished first year . . .now what?

How about you get off SDN and enjoy your time off!

Counting down to my end of first year: 5 days...<sigh>