I have periodontal disease?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kent100s78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question. I got a deep cleaning today by the hygenist at the dental office and was told I have periodontal disease.She told I have some bone loss.I have to get a deep cleaning every 6 months for the rest of life.How serious is this? Also was I suposed to get a pain killer prescribed? Because I did not get any, I was told to take Advil if I had pain and wash out with warm water and salt 4x day.One more thing can I smoke right after the cleaning?

Members don't see this ad.

Something about smoking and periodontal disease, obviously a factor here.....

At any rate, I had chronic periodontal disease back in 1980s, but that's because I never went a dentist prior to that point in my home country of Taiwan. Oral hygiene back in those days weren't really emphasized, in my opinion. Actually that is the exact reason how and why I went into Dentistry. I was introduced to Dentistry when I was a victim of periodontal disease.

Fortunately for me, I only had four Class I amalgams done and four-quadrant subgingival Root Planing & Scaling without periodontal surgery. Today, I have ideal periodontium and all my pockets are 3 or lower. I floss daily and brush at least twice/day.

For you, it's crucial for you to continue your oral hygiene regement and the key now is to MAINTAIN your periodontal health (brush, floss, 6-months oral hygiene recalls, etc.). No prescription pain medication is needed since you didn't have some MAJOR surgery done. OTC NSAIDs should be just fine.

Be sure to use the correct brushing technique and "try" to floss daily! Gotta get between your teeth and disrupt those bacteria's "homes"! Use Listerine if you get lazy! Listerine should not replace floss and/or brushing.

Keep a healthy and bright smile!

:D <---- like this!

Is it supposed to hurt? When I wrote the thread I still had the anastetic, but it is wearing off and I am getting that irritating pain and I keep touching it with my tongue (can't help it) I have a old perscription Ibuprofin 400mg is that good enough or should i take advil.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry one more thing.Are Hygenist qualified to do this. I was worried and assumed my dentist would do the procedure.

They are charging me 70 bucks a section, is that a good price?

Kent:

Of course a qualified Hygienst can perform the procedure, as long as the dentist checks the work afterwards. Besides, the dental office will most likely to do a post-op assessment to see how well your "gum" tissue had responded to the treatment.

As far as for you pain, you're obviously will experience discomfort and some minor pain, but it's nothing that Off-The-Counter (OTC) pain killer can't treat. Just take Advil, no need for more potent medication. If you still can't stand the pain and it's that bad, then call your dentist office for more advice!

When I had my 4 quadrant root-planing and scaling, I don't recall that much discomfort.

Yah-E

Thanks for the response.Your one of the guys on this forum who opinion I always look for to read.Again thanks alot.

Next year when it time to apply for dental school I will bother you with a load of questions for Nova.:)

kent100s78 said:
Is it supposed to hurt? When I wrote the thread I still had the anastetic, but it is wearing off and I am getting that irritating pain and I keep touching it with my tongue (can't help it) I have a old perscription Ibuprofin 400mg is that good enough or should i take advil.

Kent100s78,

you didn't mention your health condition, your AGE,and your personal life style. These are 3 important factors of Periodontal disease

Think of Periodontal disease just like diabetes, periodontal disease is chronic, can be fast- progressive or slowly progrssive and you need to constantly monitor the condition and have profesional help to prevent it from getting worse. Once you have it, it is irreversible ( supposing that you are talking about " PERIODONTAL DISEASE" with bone loss, and attachment loss, not just gingivitis) and if you don't pay extra attention, the condition goes just straight downhill.

If you are more senior, it is considered relatively ok that you have periodontal disease. But if you are young, you might have a more aggressive form of periodontal disease.

If you have Diabetes, take some sort of anti-cholinergic medication, sense constant dry mouth, have crowding with your teeth, or your family members have periodontal diseases, you have a higher chance of Periodontal disease.

If your life style is high pressure type, you may find that whenever you are tired or have insomnia, your gum is sore or even swollen. People under pressure usually have their periodontal condition deteriorate faster.

If you don't floss, or if you brush only the outside of your teeth, you have a higher chance of periodontal disease AND cavities

I suppose no one ( who cares his/ her health condition) thinks it is unreasonable and too expensive to take prescribed medication for Diabetes if thier doctor recommends so. No one would doubt the necessity of taking the pills every day,control their blood susgar, and no one would expect that they can be completed cured from diabetes. But if Diabetes is under good control, a diabetic person is just as fine as a regular dude. Think periodontal disease as the same thing. Many people often overlook the importance of their teeth, until they realize how much their life quality could be compromised without them.

Wish we were just like sharks :D

organic

I am 25 yo. I do have a high-preasure lifestyle.I work full time as a building superintendant which is physically demanding ask UBTom he is from the city I am sure he knows how heavy of a job it is, plus I am a full-time student taking 19 cresit hrs. and I am married, so trying to balance my school,work and spending time with my wife is alot of stress. Dealing with my wife's infertility alone can make any person really stressed especially if you don't even talk about it and know the price of a IVF procedure lol.I guess I am considered a heavy smoker pack per day. I am not a diabetic I could loose a few pounds but I stay active when I have the time and train Thai-boxing.I sleep around 4 to 5 hrs at most a night. I do suffer from some insomia, most times I am tired through out the day, but I got used to it for the last 2 yrs.So organic do you think this is what caused my Periodontal disease? I hope i answered your question.

Hi kent100s78:

Yep, I can definitely sympathize-- Life in NYC is definitely "fast lane!" :D

Anyway, like our colleague Andy says, smoking is a big part of the problem. There are chemicals in cigarette smoke that really irritates the hell out of the gums and makes you very vulnerable to periodontal disease. Definitely quit smoking if you can.

Even if you have healthy teeth and gums, it is still recommended to get a cleaning every 6 months-- There are little nooks and crannies that we just can't reach no matter how well we brush or floss, and only a dentist or hygienist can reach those spots with a scaler or cavitron.

In a nutshell: Definitely quit smoking, and make sure you get a cleaning & checkup every 6 months!

HTH!

kent100s78 said:
organic

I am 25 yo. I do have a high-preasure lifestyle.I work full time as a building superintendant which is physically demanding ask UBTom he is from the city I am sure he knows how heavy of a job it is, plus I am a full-time student taking 19 cresit hrs. and I am married, so trying to balance my school,work and spending time with my wife is alot of stress. Dealing with my wife's infertility alone can make any person really stressed especially if you don't even talk about it and know the price of a IVF procedure lol.I guess I am considered a heavy smoker pack per day. I am not a diabetic I could loose a few pounds but I stay active when I have the time and train Thai-boxing.I sleep around 4 to 5 hrs at most a night. I do suffer from some insomia, most times I am tired through out the day, but I got used to it for the last 2 yrs.So organic do you think this is what caused my Periodontal disease? I hope i answered your question.

Kent,
your life truly is filled with pressure. Don't let it take toll on your health

kent100s78 said:
Sorry one more thing.Are Hygenist qualified to do this. I was worried and assumed my dentist would do the procedure.

They are charging me 70 bucks a section, is that a good price?

70 is a great price. Most dentists in the metro LV area charge around 200. And yes, hygenists are very qualified to do both this procedure and give anesthetic. The doctor rarely even touches hygiene unless they do not have one on staff. (and those people are usually pushing 80 years old)

Thank you all for the responses!!! I will try to quite smoking, but it is hard.like saying by to a close family member;)That I have loved all my life ( could sense how bad of addiction I have lol)But I will do my best.

UBTOm are you going to practice in the city wen you get back. I wanna be your first patient lol!!!:) :)

Yep, I'm going to work through several trial associateships around the city and see which one I like best. I doubt you will need me to provide dental care for you though-- You can get routine dental care for free once you are in dental school! :laugh: