I have a quiet fear...

RGar91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be my final year in High School this August...My senior year.

However, it was my Junior Year that has set the course of my life.

This year was very inspiring to me.

All of my Academic Career past Elementary school I was a slacker.

I did just enough to get by, so B average mostly, mixed in with a few C's and a handful of D's.

I have a 2.9 GPA.

Well, I had a Physics class my Junior year, with Mr. Edward Johnson.

He profoundly impacted my life, and how I view it.

He inspired me to fix everything wrong with my academics. Ive turned a new leaf, honest :)

Im retaking all of the courses I got a "D" in (8 all together) to boost my GPA and to trade out "Ds" with "As" (4/7 So far, Ill have the rest done by August!)

However, here is one thing that VEXES me to no end...

I am sure now that I want to be a Doctor. I want to specialize in Infectious Disease. My mind is so incredibly visual, and analytical, that ID specialization is for me.

....One thing bothers me...

For someone so analytically minded...GAH!

I excelled in Physics. Conceptual, mind you, but the math was there.

I knocked it out of the park, I understood everything...

Yet I cannot pass Algebra 2...

Why?
WHY?

WHY?!

Why am I, someone who can grasp Physics, something most students just cannot even begin to understand, not grasp advanced mathematics?

I can only assume that its because I cant apply it, visually, to real life?

I know I need Math as a Doctor.

Algebra, Calculus, I know I need them.

But...Im afraid this might kill my dream before it begins.

Someone, please tell me you sucked at math, but something miraculous changed and you were able to master it, and become a doctor..

Or am I just screwed?

Halp.

-Randy

Members don't see this ad.

I know I need Math as a Doctor.

Algebra, Calculus, I know I need them.

-Randy

What you "know" is not exactly correct.

You should be concerned if you can't pass a high school algebra course. That is a problem, and you very well could be "screwed" down the road.

But...get your facts straight. For med school, you do not "need" calculus. Only a handful of schools require it. For the vast majority of med schools, a couple of math classes like algebra and stats suffice for the pre reqs...

Physics is math too. If you really do well in physics, then you have to be good at algebra too. I'm thinking this is all in your head. Look in detail at what you don't know in algebra, and figure that stuff out. Usually, problems with math come down to poor foundations. Work on that, and you will be fine. Besides, calculus (at least 1 and 2, the ones usually needed for pre-med majors) is a whole different ball game, and you may very well find it easier than algebra. At the very least, it is more practical, which you should like.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to mention this, but I use algebra and geometry frequently in day to day life. How many gallons of chlorine do I need for the pool to have a certain percentage? Simple algebra. How many gallons of paint do I need to do a bedroom at 2 coats, assuming 250-400 sq ft per gallon, with walls, cieling, and trim in different colors?

Those are really simple, but I have used much more complicated algebra day to day. Once you see how it works for life, the rest is just learning the rules.

I don't particularly enjoy math, but I like what I can do with it. Enough that I took statistics for engineers (calc based) and physics calc based. Without physics, I found calc a pain...too much memorization and blind faith. I like the solid aspects of math that back the physics up.

Dude, algebra 2 is one of the most analytic subjects out there. I am guessing it may be your teacher. How do your fellow peers fair in that class?

But...get your facts straight. For med school, you do not "need" calculus. Only a handful of schools require it. For the vast majority of med schools, a couple of math classes like algebra and stats suffice for the pre reqs...

I suggest you take your own advice; every school I applied to/looked into applying to wanted to see that prospective students had taken at least a year's worth of math, PREFERABLY calculus or stats. I don't know of any schools where algebra alone would suffice.

From my experience in the dental side, and I know med is similar in many cases, the schools don't really put a lot of weight into math - but often require a semester of stats and a semester of calc, or a year of calc. I've heard Adcoms saying, in reference to a low math score on the DAT, "When are you ever going to use math again? We really don't care much about a low Quantitive reasoning score."

So, this will just be a hurdle for you to get over, but you'll be able to get over it. The key is finding a teacher who can explain clearly and simply, as that can make all of the difference. Having worked as a math tutor in college, I know for certain that it is far harder to teach lower level math than higher level math, because there's a base foundation, and if it's not put in well, you're just building on sand.

I would suggest you yourself going back to the material from Algebra 1, and starting there, that's where I'm guessing you're weak on, and why the new ideas in Algebra 2 aren't making sense. Once you go back and relay a strong foundation I'm sure you'll be fine. Oh, and I found Algebra 2 to be much more difficult than calc - I could expain to you how to do a darivitive in about an hour, and it's just all algebra from there - so once you get past Algebra 2, and know it well, it's down hill from there.

So don't stress, keep on keeping on, and you'll be a doctor some day if you work hard enough and keep determined, and it sounds like you are. Oh, and High school grades don't matter in the long run... I got accepted into an Ivy League Dental School after never taking the SAT's and going to a Community College, then transferring to a local university.

Good luck!

I suggest you take your own advice; every school I applied to/looked into applying to wanted to see that prospective students had taken at least a year's worth of math, PREFERABLY calculus or stats. I don't know of any schools where algebra alone would suffice.

Then you don't know squat, and furthermore, I never suggested that algebra "alone" will suffice.

Re-read my post - I said that for the vast majority of med schools, a "couple" (meaning 2 semesters) of math classes including algebra and stats will suffice, and that is a completely factual statement.

Applicants should check into the math reqs at every med school they are interested in, because the reqs vary.

Tactful as always. *sigh*

It's true that you don't usually need more than a year of math for pre-reqs, but I'd be very concerned that passing Algebra 2 is an issue. That's math you need in a more conventional sense - that is, it's math you'll use regularly throughout school and your daily life. At the very least, you'll need it to get through your intro stats and calc courses in college. Make sure you learn it now.

Honestly I wouldn't stress out as much as you are, because you have to realize there's nothing you can do about it now. The universe tends to unfold as it should, and things happen for a reason. You don't know where you will be ten years from now. Just take what you have a run with it. Make a mean essay explaining your situation too, i believe your post sure enough :)

Then you don't know squat...

Wow. Fine, I'll put it this way; if you want to be more competitive in the med school application process, taking more advanced prereqs will bolster your application. I should think that your biggest concern at this stage of the game is to make yourself stick out to adcoms, not just meet the bare minimum requirements for entrance.

Last edited:
Did Jef get a new account???

I understand what you went through this last year, I kind of somewhat went through the same thing a couple years ago..

However, I'm in a BS/MD program and the only two math classes I have to take in undergrad is Applied Statistics and applied Calculus. And you don't take any math classes in med school..

Everybody struggles with ceartain types of classes, if you work hard you'll be fine! and in college you can have a tutor help you with the classes you find more difficult.

Did Jef get a new account???

I understand what you went through this last year, I kind of somewhat went through the same thing a couple years ago..

However, I'm in a BS/MD program and the only two math classes I have to take in undergrad is Applied Statistics and applied Calculus. And you don't take any math classes in med school..

Everybody struggles with ceartain types of classes, if you work hard you'll be fine! and in college you can have a tutor help you with the classes you find more difficult.

OMG this was my first thought. I love you.

Math sucks. Taking notes in math class sucks. Studying for math sucks. Taking math tests sucks. But you've got to do it, so buckle down and get ready for the long haul, because even though it sucks to learn, once you have it, you also have valuable new critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It may not involve Reimann sums, but it's easier to flex your brain in that kind of shape.

I'm probably making no sense. If you're having trouble with algebra two, ask your teacher for extra help or get a tutor. Also, the only way to learn math is to do problems, problems, and more problems. Get used to it. :p

Going above and beyond pre-req.'s in math won't help you much in the med school app process. I only took one sem. of stats in college. Work on getting good grades, good e.c.'s instead.

ugh! i feel for you...i took honors algebra 2 as a sophomore. i probably should have just taken the regular class, which of course i didn't realize until i was about halfway through first semester. just don't be afraid to ask for help. i'm pretty sure i bugged my teacher to death but in the end it helped my grade because i went in before school, after school, any time i could find to (politely) ask for help on anything i didn't know. if you're taking pre-calculus after algebra 2, at least according to my teacher it's mostly review of what you learn in algebra 2. so strive to do well in algebra 2 because from what i hear, the things you learn are very important in future math classes. good luck.

and if it helps, some people might be terrible at algebra but really good at some other kind of math, like geometry. maybe with future math classes it'll become easier.

OMG this was my first thought. I love you.

Math sucks. Taking notes in math class sucks. Studying for math sucks. Taking math tests sucks. But you've got to do it, so buckle down and get ready for the long haul, because even though it sucks to learn, once you have it, you also have valuable new critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It may not involve Reimann sums, but it's easier to flex your brain in that kind of shape.

I'm probably making no sense. If you're having trouble with algebra two, ask your teacher for extra help or get a tutor. Also, the only way to learn math is to do problems, problems, and more problems. Get used to it. :p

Nice to know I'm a joke amongst you guys :thumbup:.

No I did not create a new account, I'm not the OP.

If you payed attention at all to my posts, you'll also know that I already got through Alg. II.

OP, my only advice is that you pass Alg. II and understand it.

My "excuse" I guess you can call it is that I've had a shaky background in math and haven't really done much on my own to correct until now.

Honestly, pick up Algebra II for dummies with the workbook. This is totally off, but if you haven't taken the SAT's, pick up the official study guide and Grubers.

A few months ago I didn't even know all my multiplication tables (pathetic, I know). But now I know them all and I feel confident enough that I can surpass 700 on the SAT math, hopefully this fall if I put in enough time.

I slacked off too. Glad that you are making an effort to change. :thumbup: