I have a puppy in dental school -- AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradsingerperson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I wish I had a forum where I could have asked someone with a pet in dental school questions before deciding to get a dog myself. I am a first year dental student at Penn Dental Medicine, and I have a 6 month old puppy. Ask me anything about having a pet in dental school (can also ask about cats, although they aren't my forte lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I want to get a puppy SO BAD when I go to dental school (hopefully next fall if I get accepted soon). How manageable do you think it is? ESP with first year?

I want to get a puppy SO BAD when I go to dental school (hopefully next fall if I get accepted soon). How manageable do you think it is? ESP with first year?
Hi! You should totally consider it -- having a dog in dental school has made my life SO MUCH BETTER, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't challenging.

It is manageable IF:
1. You crate train your dog immediately as a puppy. You cannot manage it whatsoever without crate training first -- pup will have to hang out in the crate so as to not destroy your apartment and have accidents all over.
2. You have A BARE MINIMUM of 1 full month of dedicated training (including crate training) prior to starting school -- I had one full month to do so and just barely made it to the "finish line" (in terms of having her prepared enough for the challenges of being in dental school with me) in time.
3. You live VERY close to the school, and/or have the funds to hire a dog walker during the day.

I didn't decide to get a dog until I knew exactly where I was going to go to school (Penn), and until I signed a lease. My apartment is almost directly across the street from the school, so during lunch I can go and eat a pre-prepared meal quickly, then take her on a nice 20-30 minute walk before heading back to the school. I also was lucky enough to get a place with a small yard out back, so I have an easy place to take her when she has to go potty. She's nearly 7 months old and still frequently needs a potty trip to relieve herself, so having this (esp in the middle of the night, because it's just not safe to walk your dog at 3am in Philadelphia) was a major deciding factor for me to "bite the bullet" and get a puppy.

I also made sure the school records lectures so I could skip as needed, and have kept close tabs on who requires attendance and who doesn't. It's more fun to watch lecture at home with a puppy on your lap anyway ;) so I usually watch from home, but sim labs, seminars, and clinic work are all required, so during those times she is in the crate. If I have a SUPER long day with TONS of required stuff, I bribe a friend to hang out with her at my house.

If you can ensure housing close by (or have the funds from friends/family to afford a dog walker as needed), are willing to give up the lunchtime "social hour" at the school to take care of your dog, you are sure you will have AT LEAST 1 full month of dedicated bonding/training time, AND you crate train your dog (this is totally non-negotiable in my opinion), then it is SO manageable and I would HIGHLY recommend it! Bonus: you should walk your dog twice a day, and so that is guaranteed 2x per day light exercise. Win-win.

Notable cons: Obviously, dogs are expensive. Most dental schools are in cities, and city vets cost A LOT MORE than small town vets do, which means having pet medical insurance is non-negotiable. I have a plan through trupanion and give them $70 per month just to *maybe* help with her vet bills if something major happens. Factor in grooming, food, toys, supplies, the occasional dog walker... it's not cheap. But again, in my opinion, so worth it.

Additionally, they can keep you up all night before an exam if they get sick. I had 3 exams in one day last week, and two nights before, she was up every hour with diarrhea. Paid $250 (then my insurance kicked in) just to find out she had an upset stomach. Went to school feeling delirious and literally on the brink of a panic attack all day because I was so tired. BUT I got some help from friends, some very good naps, and always stay on top of my studying, so it didn't totally kill me the way it probably should have.

And of course, it can limit your housing options UNLESS you get an ESA letter from your doctor. I got an ESA letter so I can live wherever I want with her, even if it's not pet-friendly housing (at least in my state -- pretty sure this is everywhere but I'd look into it first). I was fortunate enough to find a place right across the street with a back yard, but all of that means higher rent. Another major cost of having a dog -- esp a puppy. BUT I'll be honest, I probably would've gone for this place either way because I love living close to the school (I HATE commuting time).

Wouldn't really recommend having roommates if you have a dog just because they may not follow your training preferences (and thus it makes the dog confused -- mixed signals on what is acceptable where and with whom), and because they do tend to wake the whole house up when it's potty time. Puppies need lots of potty time, so it may just drive your roomies crazy. I live alone, so it works just fine.

You also may find yourself skipping social events because your pup needs to be taken care of. If being a social butterfly is totally important to you, then maybe reconsider (or consider a cat instead). I personally am not a big partier, so I don't mind skipping out sometimes because I need to take her on a walk or because I was just out of the house too much that day and feel bad crating her again. There are certainly financial, time, and social sacrifices you will make if you get a puppy.

For most, I'd say consider getting an adult dog / rescue dog. The older they are, the better they are at holding their bladders, and -- most importantly -- you'll have better information about their temperament from their fosters. Puppies have personalities that change SO MUCH over the course of just a few weeks! Mine started as a total lapdog / snuggle bug, thought she would just want to lay on my lap all day while I study -- NOT. She LOVES to exercise and needs a LOT of it, and is SUPER independent / not always down for cuddle sessions. I have to plan my days carefully to make sure I keep her happy with lots of play and walking time, but also have enough time to study and watch lectures myself. Older dogs already have more established personalities, so you can find out more reliable information on what their temperament is like and get the best 'fit' for you personality-wise. (Don't get me wrong, I am obsessed with my dog the way she is and plan to train her to run with me, but she is SOOOOO different from her 8 week old self!!)

Bottom line: I love having a dog and wouldn't do this any other way. It HELPS me to have a dog in dental school not just for the mental health benefits, but also because taking care of her restricts my time, and so I HAVE to use my time more wisely to study. I don't have a choice. This is motivational for me personally, so it's helped me. I can see how other people decide having a cat is a better option for them though lol.

I hope this helps!!! If you have any other questions, let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg this was SO much info and SO appreciated!!! I will probably be reaching out to you later on once I figure out my life and know where I'm going, etc! What kind of dog did you get? It sounds like she really helps keep you balanced and responsible :) Happy to hear it's been a positive experience for you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Omg this was SO much info and SO appreciated!!! I will probably be reaching out to you later on once I figure out my life and know where I'm going, etc! What kind of dog did you get? It sounds like she really helps keep you balanced and responsible :) Happy to hear it's been a positive experience for you!!
Of course!! Feel free to reach out :) She is a mini aussiedoodle! An absolute ball of energy, very risky choice for dental school but I'm hoping to train her to be a 'running dog' with me one day so I can get my exercise before clinic / classes. You can't start training them for that though until they are definitely full grown / epiphyseal plates have closed, so for now, we play lots of fetch :)

What dog breed did you get?
Mini aussiedoodle! Couldn't figure out how to tag the two of you in one response, see above.

Australian shepherds are probably not the recommended dog breed to get if you're going to dental or medical school, they do require an INCREDIBLE amount of exercise -- and let me tell you, mine has picked up ALL the australian shepherd personality traits possible, but has the typical poodle intelligence, so she can be double trouble when she wants to be. For most dental students, if you're not planning to train them to be a 'running companion dog' (like me), I'd recommend looking into a breed that is known to be more of a 'couch potato' than mine is lol.

I know a number of dental students with toy breeds like yorkies, shizus, cavapoos, cavaliers, etc. that of course need to still walk their dog at least once per day, but their dogs are much more apt to sit and snuggle while they study for classes. Look into which breeds will do well with apartment living -- aussies are normally NOT on that list, but I lucked out with the yard, lots of green spaces nearby to exercise her, great walking space on Locust walk, and a very long apartment that I can play inside with her as needed. She's also smaller than anticipated, so she does fine in an apartment. Rule of thumb generally is that small dogs do better in apartments than medium/large dogs, but I'd recommend researching the breed before adopting or buying.

I was thinking of getting an English lab. Bigger dog but they mellow out after about 3 years or so. Will weigh about 90 lbs when fully grown.
That could be a good choice! The one concern is size -- if you think you have enough space to accommodate that size of dog, then yes go for it. I still recommend crate training if you're going to get a puppy. That'll be a big dog but I'm planning to keep using the crate with my pup forever -- literally. She loves her crate now. So just make sure you have somewhere large enough for a crate that could potentially end up quite large too! :)

Hmm I am very interested in buying/adopting a dog sometime during dental school (not in dental school yet, currently in a post bac program) but I’m hesitant since I would be a first time dog owner.

Have you owned dogs/any other pets in the past prior to dental school? A family dog?

I’m interested in medium to large sized breeds btw.

I was thinking of getting an English lab. Bigger dog but they mellow out after about 3 years or so. Will weigh about 90 lbs when fully grown.
"They mellow out after about 3 years or so" = good choice!! Time it right and this would be a great pick. Just be mindful of apartment space -- a 90 pound dog is no joke, and they need some space to comfortably move around. If you're going to be in a tiny apartment, maybe consider a smaller breed for now.

Hmm I am very interested in buying/adopting a dog sometime during dental school (not in dental school yet, currently in a post bac program) but I’m hesitant since I would be a first time dog owner.

Have you owned dogs/any other pets in the past prior to dental school? A family dog?

I’m interested in medium to large sized breeds btw.
Hi! I love this -- I did a post-bacc program before starting dental school too!! I am a first time "primary" dog owner, meaning she is my first dog where she is 100% my problem if anything goes wrong lol. But I have had many family dogs in the past. Two recommendations:
1. Look up Zak George on YouTube -- he has a series where he shows how he trains a dog from puppyhood onward, and literally takes you through eeeeverything. The good, the bad, and the ugly. It can give you some insight into what having a dog is really like.
2. Would you consider fostering a dog first? Maybe volunteer to be a foster and see how you like living with a dog before getting one of your own. I know a lot of folks who have done this and it definitely opened their eyes up to what it's really like to own a dog.

As mentioned previously, definitely be very mindful of what type of space you'll be living in before getting a medium to large breed dog. Will you be able to afford to get an apartment large enough for both you and a large dog to be happy / comfortable? Mine was supposed to be a medium breed, but she has turned out to be a small girl and I'm glad she has. She can make so much more of the tiny back yard I have access to and my smaller apartment.

I personally take my dog out once a day to a very close quad on campus where I can put her on a 30 foot lead and play fetch with her. The quad is so large, I've considered upgrading to a 40 or 50 foot lead so she can really take off and get the zoomies out even more than she does now! Will you be able to find a big exercise space like this on campus or nearby, such as a nearby park? All things to consider / keep an eye out for :)

Hi! I love this -- I did a post-bacc program before starting dental school too!! I am a first time "primary" dog owner, meaning she is my first dog where she is 100% my problem if anything goes wrong lol. But I have had many family dogs in the past. Two recommendations:
1. Look up Zak George on YouTube -- he has a series where he shows how he trains a dog from puppyhood onward, and literally takes you through eeeeverything. The good, the bad, and the ugly. It can give you some insight into what having a dog is really like.
2. Would you consider fostering a dog first? Maybe volunteer to be a foster and see how you like living with a dog before getting one of your own. I know a lot of folks who have done this and it definitely opened their eyes up to what it's really like to own a dog.

As mentioned previously, definitely be very mindful of what type of space you'll be living in before getting a medium to large breed dog. Will you be able to afford to get an apartment large enough for both you and a large dog to be happy / comfortable? Mine was supposed to be a medium breed, but she has turned out to be a small girl and I'm glad she has. She can make so much more of the tiny back yard I have access to and my smaller apartment.

I personally take my dog out once a day to a very close quad on campus where I can put her on a 30 foot lead and play fetch with her. The quad is so large, I've considered upgrading to a 40 or 50 foot lead so she can really take off and get the zoomies out even more than she does now! Will you be able to find a big exercise space like this on campus or nearby, such as a nearby park? All things to consider / keep an eye out for :)
Should I watch all the videos from Zak George? THere are like over 100 videos here: https://www.youtube.com/c/zakgeorge/videos .

Any books you recommend?

"They mellow out after about 3 years or so" = good choice!! Time it right and this would be a great pick. Just be mindful of apartment space -- a 90 pound dog is no joke, and they need some space to comfortably move around. If you're going to be in a tiny apartment, maybe consider a smaller breed for now.
is 1100 sq feet small? And should I exclude apartments that are carpetted in favor of hard wood for accidents like poop/diarrhea/vomit?

Should I watch all the videos from Zak George? THere are like over 100 videos here: https://www.youtube.com/c/zakgeorge/videos .

Any books you recommend?

is 1100 sq feet small? And should I exclude apartments that are carpetted in favor of hard wood for accidents like poop/diarrhea/vomit?
Don't make it a goal to watch all of them -- watch what you can! I like to watch youtube videos while doing things like dishes tbh, so prior to getting my pup, I watched them semi passively while doing other things.

The 'Dog Training Experience' playlist is amazing:

In this series, he went through every facet of training his own new puppy from picking the puppy up to potty training to advanced trick training and more. Watch what you can, but I'd recommend starting at the beginning and watching them in sequential order

Honestly, I'm not a big book reader when it comes to dog training. I prefer YouTube videos because you can hear the concepts explained but also see how real trainers and real dogs react to those techniques. I wish I had a recommendation for you but I'm sad to say I don't

Not sure about apartment size tbh! Go in and see how it looks / feels to you, and if you think a large dog would be able to comfortably move around / get zoomies out as needed.

Most apartments that are pet friendly are hard wood floors only, NO carpeting. So yes, I'd recommend avoiding carpeted areas. If you get an ESA letter then you can technically live wherever and the landlord has to deal with it, but to avoid accidents ruining your security deposit, I'd say yes definitely avoid carpeted apartments.

Crate training also helps avoid accidents in and around the house, so again, hiiiighly recommend crate training.

Good advice! So does your dog sleep on your bed? "They" say that you shouldn't let your dog sleep on the bed, but I dunno the warmth, weight, and cuddling would be nice. They can be dirty though so there's that.

Yes, I was going to get an ESA letter but how would you go about finding apartments that say no pets? Do you just apply, sign the lease, and then announce afterwards you have an ESA? Because if you say you have an ESA dog, and they say no pets, then you can expect to be rejected IMO.

The dog I am to get will be about 8 weeks or so in April 2022, so I have to fly to pick up the dog, and then fly back. He'll be small at that point so I think I'd just buy a seat for him or something.
I didn't let her sleep in bed with me until about 6 months. Once I was very sure she was fully house trained and wouldn't have any accidents, I let her in bed for naps first then let her in overnight. I really do think it depends on the dog and the handler's preference. During that first 6 months, I had her sleep in the crate right next to my bed overnight.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to answer the question regarding the ESA in no-pet housing because I was lucky enough to already find a place that allowed pets. My ESA just got me out of paying pet rent ;) I would look into your state's laws and spend some time with Mr. Google on that one

Love it! Most flights will require you to have the puppy in a carrier under the seat in front of you. Spend some time with Mr. Google on that one too to figure out what the current airline requirements are.

Members don't see this ad :)
how did you afford to have a pet?

Is it possible to fit an 8 week YO 13lb labrador puppy under the seat in a carrier?
Great question, I honestly have no clue. This would be a good google question. Mine was only 5 pounds when I got her and we drove with her.

Hi! My mom bought the puppy for me, but I pay for all of her bills. I've budgeted for pet insurance in case of emergency, and I spent a few years working before starting dental school so I have some savings tucked away in case of emergencies / in case her monthly bill (grooming, food, vaccines, toys, supplies, etc.) goes above my budgeted total. I am living off of loans, so I take her budget out of my own -- less 'fun money' for me and strategic budgeting in other words, but worth every penny in my opinion.

Do you think that getting an active dog like a husky would be doable in the spring of D1 year or over Christmas break? My partner would be helping me raise it

Do you think that getting an active dog like a husky would be doable in the spring of D1 year or over Christmas break? My partner would be helping me raise it
Hi! Great question. If it's a puppy, I'd say honestly no, not do-able during D1 spring -- Christmas break won't allow enough time for you to do the baseline training you and your partner would need to (I'd say a BARE minimum of 30 days where at least one of you has 0 obligations is necessary to start puppy training / bonding. I joked during my 30 day puppy training just prior to fall semester that I was on 'maternity leave' -- puppies require SO much energy it's insane). If it were an adult dog that is already potty trained / also crate trained (unless your partner is home during the day), then yes I'd say this is do-able and would recommend aiming to do this over Christmas break so you have a little time just to bond. I've heard D1 spring is crazy, but maybe that's just Penn lol.

If you're aiming for a puppy, definitely would recommend doing this over summer break prior to D2. D2 is a massive and painful year from *everything* i've been told, but you really do need that baseline puppy training for a bare minimum of 30 straight days with basically 0 obligations so you can get bonded with your pup, work on house training, and crate training. The crate is a MUST -- some people think they are inhumane and for dogs, it is precisely the opposite. It helps them thrive, keeps them safe when you're gone, helps IMMENSELY with house training, and they are natural den animals so they end up loving it once they get used to it. I used a snuggle puppy, my pup's 'sibling blanket' (with the scents of her littermates on it), her kibble, turn the radio on, and cover the crate to make mine comfortable and now she RUNS to it joyfully when I yell her 'crate' command. Mind you, when we first started when she was a puppy, she cried and lost her mind any time I coaxed her into the crate, so it's a challenge to train but SO worth it for the peace of mind knowing they're safe -- and they end up loving the quality naps they get in there :)

I hope this helps!

You are a lifesaver. I have been looking for a recent thread on having pets in dental school. Thanks so much for creating this. I really want a pet, specifically a cat, when I start this upcoming fall. Do you think it's best to get one kitten or two? I'm afraid I won't have much time for the kitten, so I am considering getting bonded kittens so they have each other. What are your thoughts? Will it be too much work? TIA!

I have a french bulldog, his name is Jack, my parents recently gave him to me. I have never had a dog and I did not expect this at all. Of course I was very happy, but I realized that I know absolutely nothing about dogs. But then I found this blog and even found out something that many people who have had a dog for a long time do not know

Hi!

I wish I had a forum where I could have asked someone with a pet in dental school questions before deciding to get a dog myself. I am a first year dental student at Penn Dental Medicine, and I have a 6 month old puppy. Ask me anything about having a pet in dental school (can also ask about cats, although they aren't my forte lol)
Do you think it is manageable to have a puppy who is still pretty young (like under a year) during D2? With a spouse helping out (added bonus)

You are a lifesaver. I have been looking for a recent thread on having pets in dental school. Thanks so much for creating this. I really want a pet, specifically a cat, when I start this upcoming fall. Do you think it's best to get one kitten or two? I'm afraid I won't have much time for the kitten, so I am considering getting bonded kittens so they have each other. What are your thoughts? Will it be too much work? TIA!
From my experience, you will have no trouble having a cat in d-school. they're so low maintenance, especially just to sit with you while studying and your chores are to clean up after them/feed them/play with them in your place. I feel like dogs are just a concern because they need to go outside to use the bathroom, get a lot of exercise, and tend to tear things up in your place/lead an unhappy life if you can't give them that (which can be hard with these long days where you aren't home until 5 or 6 and then have to study all evening). I think a cat (or 2) would definitely be able to have a very happy life with a dental student

Do you think it is manageable to have a puppy who is still pretty young (like under a year) during D2? With a spouse helping out (added bonus)
My sibling, who's a D2, got a puppy right before the D2 year started. It can be difficult if you live in an apartment building, but if you have a spouse to help out, that would be perfect! They are great companions and good study buddies. I think it would have been easier to get a puppy during your D4 year, but if you have a spouse to help, I would say go for it!

I completely disagree about the crating part with the person above. The puppy (golden doodle) has never been crated and hasn't damaged the apartment or anything he lives in. The dog is about to turn 1-years old and has been a wonderful buddy to have in dental school! But it's all up to you on how you train your furry friend!

Last edited:
This thread was actually such a life saver, I adopted a Shiba Inu puppy last December and I always wondered how school would affect me and my ability to watch over my dog. I just had a question on the ESA? Are landlords allowed to raise rent for the usually "pet deposit" if your animal is registered as an ESA?

This thread was actually such a life saver, I adopted a Shiba Inu puppy last December and I always wondered how school would affect me and my ability to watch over my dog. I just had a question on the ESA? Are landlords allowed to raise rent for the usually "pet deposit" if your animal is registered as an ESA?
Great question. I will be living in a house with a few roommates who will be attending dental school & the house that we will be living in doesn't allow dogs. However, because the puppy/dog has been medically approved (I believe as an ESA, but I will verify), she is able to have the dog in the house without paying a dog fee. The only thing she has to pay is if the dog does any damage to the house, which won't happen besides the typical potty training phase. Additionally, the dog isn't/won't be crate trained, so he can do whatever he wants in the house while we are at school! I would highly advise against crate training. If you are worried about your dog causing damage to the house, I would get a fence and put him in a larger area for his comfort where we wouldn't damage anything (puppy-proof the area).
Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 10.18.40 AM.png

^ This goes into why you shouldn't crate your dogs - it's illegal to crate train your dog in Finland & Sweden. It's cruel to the dog to have them sit in a crate. As you can guess, it's not healthy for them mentally to sit in a cage all day and all night. There really isn't a point in getting a dog if he's going to be crated all day.

They are wonderful to have in dental school, though! They can be great companions & study buddies! You'll have so much fun with your Shiba Inu in dental school!

Great question. I will be living in a house with a few roommates who will be attending dental school & the house that we will be living in doesn't allow dogs. However, because the puppy/dog has been medically approved (I believe as an ESA, but I will verify), she is able to have the dog in the house without paying a dog fee. The only thing she has to pay is if the dog does any damage to the house, which won't happen besides the typical potty training phase. Additionally, the dog isn't/won't be crate trained, so he can do whatever he wants in the house while we are at school! I would highly advise against crate training. If you are worried about your dog causing damage to the house, I would get a fence and put him in a larger area for his comfort where we wouldn't damage anything (puppy-proof the area).
View attachment 369323
^ This goes into why you shouldn't crate your dogs - it's illegal to crate train your dog in Finland & Sweden. It's cruel to the dog to have them sit in a crate. As you can guess, it's not healthy for them mentally to sit in a cage all day and all night. There really isn't a point in getting a dog if he's going to be crated all day.

They are wonderful to have in dental school, though! They can be great companions & study buddies! You'll have so much fun with your Shiba Inu in dental school!
yeah i didn’t crate train my dog just because i didn’t feel it was necessary as I was at home most of the time during covid, but he was put into a playpen or fenced off area whenever i was out. definitely a better alternative but i know some others have success crate training