I hate Shaums Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddfafari

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry but, I really do not like the Shaums review of Biology. I think it is more information than what we need. I am pretty sure a few chapters could be completely skipped, i.e. the two chapters on plants. I am just curious as to what the people who have used the book think about the content.

I am getting more and more discouraged about how little I know. I read the KAPLAN'S biology and made a notebook with all my notes (All very easy to understand)... but the Schaums book is making me feel like I know nothing.

Whats going on?

Members don't see this ad.

ddfafari said:
I am sorry but, I really do not like the Shaums review of Biology. I think it is more information than what we need. I am pretty sure a few chapters could be completely skipped, i.e. the two chapters on plants. I am just curious as to what the people who have used the book think about the content.

I am getting more and more discouraged about how little I know. I read the KAPLAN'S biology and made a notebook with all my notes (All very easy to understand)... but the Schaums book is making me feel like I know nothing.

Whats going on?

I wouldn't skip the chapters on plants, I have heard a lot of people say they had a few plant questions on their DAT bio section...but I feel you on Schaum's. I hate it too! I am only going to use it for developmental bio, taxonomy/classification, and plant stuff...for the rest I am using the Kaplan Blue. I made a notebook off of Kaplan as well. And try this link, it looks like the Kaplan book in outline format...take what you want from it.

http://blog.rodtv.com/misc-stuff/biology.mht

All the best of luck!

Hey, thanks so much! I will definently check out the website. Oh, I am glad I am not the only one who doesnt like the book.

lifeisgood said:
I wouldn't skip the chapters on plants, I have heard a lot of people say they had a few plant questions on their DAT bio section...but I feel you on Schaum's. I hate it too! I am only going to use it for developmental bio, taxonomy/classification, and plant stuff...for the rest I am using the Kaplan Blue. I made a notebook off of Kaplan as well. And try this link, it looks like the Kaplan book in outline format...take what you want from it.

http://blog.rodtv.com/misc-stuff/biology.mht

All the best of luck!

ddfafari said:

Whats going on?

i don't really like schaum's either. i'm not sure why... but i find it difficult to study from. i plan on justing the kaplan blue book for most of my biology... then selecting a few chapters out of schaum's to supplement where kaplan is evidently weaker (from what i hear... plants, ecology, and taxonomy).

people say kaplan blue book is not enough for bio... but i have a hard time believing that if you know that kaplan bio COLD and then supplement it just a little with plants, eco, and taxonomy that you couldn't achieve a score in the 20s.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG..I just bought the book today!! (Schaum's outline). So does anyone actually like the book??

supraman said:
OMG..I just bought the book today!! (Schaum's outline). So does anyone actually like the book??
I really liked this book. :) But I started studying for DAT seven months ago. So I had time enough to go over all the info. For me, this book was a good supplement to other bio books. If you take the DAT in one month or two, then of course it seems a lot of info to absorb. I wouldn’t skip anything, bio is so broad, and they can come up with anything on the test. ;)

Gasedo said:
I really liked this book. :) But I started studying for DAT seven months ago. So I had time enough to go over all the info. For me, this book was a good supplement to other bio books. If you take the DAT in one month or two, then of course it seems a lot of info to absorb. I wouldn’t skip anything, bio is so broad, and they can come up with anything on the test. ;)

Yea I am also getting ahead in the game, studying early, how did you do?

Gasedo said:
how long have you been studying per week?

Hey dont get me wrong Supraman... I dont regret buying it. I am reading from it every day. I just wanted to express my anger over not feeling like I understand anything. Thats all. So, dont think that its not a good book. Its great... its just too much! But then again, Biology is just too much!

sumozmom said:
how long have you been studying per week?
Well, I studied bio on and off, because I had to study for the other sections too. But my recommendation to you is not studying bio more than six months before the test. It is a tremendous info to assimilate for this section, and if you start studying now and you are going to take the test next year, you will probably forget many details.
If you took bio long time ago, (as I think I read somewhere you did) :) , you can read the text book first, just to refresh your memory, and only starting from fall begin studying Schaum’s bio. I also studied gen chem. and orgo from Schaum’s and I think gen chem. has way too much info for what we need for the test. Orgo, on the other hand, I found it very helpful. I personally found Kaplan book too summary, but others on this forum have different opinion. That’s why I bought Schaum’s for sciences. :)

is it a bad idea to take the kaplan course in the summer and take the DAT after the sessions (i think you take it right after its done, no?) then retake them again end of next school year?? I am really confused becaues I do not want to take Kaplan course with junior year course (will be hard)

Took Kaplan and the DAT. Kaplan is a good investment if and only if you have a good instructor. They sell a very similar book for $50 which beats the $1,200 for the class. Either book would be fine. If you want the "practice tests" that Kaplan provides, people sell them on SDN all the time.

Schaum has more info then needed for biology.