I got full deferment...now what???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rookiedoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all, I was hoping someone could shed light on my brand-spankin new assignment! :laugh:
I'm HPSP 4th year, applied to Portsmouth only (three programs for family reasons) and got a full civilian deferment for ob/gyn...which was my 1st Navy choice anyway. Soooooo....I don't know if I stank that bad, if that was a gift, or what? I had also applied to transitional for GMO tracking and then to GS, also probably for GMO tracking. Full civi deferment was LAST on the list! I was just shocked that I got that, I was honestly expecting more like a one-year if I didn't get my choices. Again, does that mean I made a good impression or that I stank? :confused:
Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

rookiedoctor said:
Hi, all, I was hoping someone could shed light on my brand-spankin new assignment! :laugh:
I'm HPSP 4th year, applied to Portsmouth only (three programs for family reasons) and got a full civilian deferment for ob/gyn...which was my 1st Navy choice anyway. Soooooo....I don't know if I stank that bad, if that was a gift, or what? I had also applied to transitional for GMO tracking and then to GS, also probably for GMO tracking. Full civi deferment was LAST on the list! I was just shocked that I got that, I was honestly expecting more like a one-year if I didn't get my choices. Again, does that mean I made a good impression or that I stank? :confused:
Thanks for any info!

Oh, one more thing to clarify: Navy Internship ob/gyn was #1 choice

rookiedoctor said:
Oh, one more thing to clarify: Navy Internship ob/gyn was #1 choice
Hey you,
its your classmate that got 1-yr in Bethesda,which totally sucks for me since I had civy residencies lined up.
From what I understand, I think that it is not good or bad impression, it's just the needs of the Navy.

Members don't see this ad :)
lamaupin said:
Hey you,
its your classmate that got 1-yr in Bethesda,which totally sucks for me since I had civy residencies lined up.
From what I understand, I think that it is not good or bad impression, it's just the needs of the Navy.

yeesh, I can see where that would be a pain...I was just being neurotic (my husband says it's being female) and I know that now it doesnt' matter although I REALLY didn't expect a deferment like that even tho it was on my list. I figured they'd laugh at that one! :laugh: Therefore, much to my discredit, I waited to do anything civi until the match, and put in ERAS stuff yesterday to try and find a program. :eek:
Oh, well, at least my family is flexible about the whole thing.

You said full deferment was last on your list, but where on your list was 1-year deferment? If you didn't ask for a 1-year, but did ask for a full-deferment, even if it was last, the board would give you your "choice" of a full deferment, not a 1-year.

spang

rookiedoctor said:
Thanks for any info!

you know, I never did ask for a one year, I figured they'd just hand that one out as needed. I did do the peds thing in Aug! Found OB a better fit all around tho, felt comfortable in the field, yada yada yada. :laugh:
After thinking about it for a while, there are some bonuses to being given a deferment that I hadn't planned on, ie get to hang around my family, not get shipped out (although I did sign the papers for something). I'll just go with it (like there's another choice :rolleyes: ) and figure it out as I go. hating the civi search tho!

rookiedoctor said:
you know, I never did ask for a one year, I figured they'd just hand that one out as needed. I did do the peds thing in Aug! Found OB a better fit all around tho, felt comfortable in the field, yada yada yada. :laugh:
After thinking about it for a while, there are some bonuses to being given a deferment that I hadn't planned on, ie get to hang around my family, not get shipped out (although I did sign the papers for something). I'll just go with it (like there's another choice :rolleyes: ) and figure it out as I go. hating the civi search tho!

Good attitude! Good luck with the interviews and in OB/GYN.

best,
Spang

Spang said:
Good attitude! Good luck with the interviews and in OB/GYN.

best,
Spang
A deferment could be the best possible thing to get from the Navy. You'll get better training, have somewhat more say in where you want to live (more than just 3 choices), and not have to do a GMO tour. Also, you'll be able to serve your time in the Navy as a staff physician. Also, you will only have to serve in the Navy the length of your commitment - again, no extra gmo tour, no residency time in the Navy.

I got a deferment and as you can see very happy.

You'll get better training,

Well...I'm not sure if I agree with this. If the above applicant didn't match ANYTHING in the military match...I'm assuming it may be difficult for him/her to match any really competitive civy program.

OB/gyn at NMCP is not the best in the world. Lots of OB, but not enough gyn.

And the OBs aren't that stellar....just a guy who spent 5 years of nights on L&D there, and now spend much less time and give a lot less blood with the private practice guys.

rotatores said:
Well...I'm not sure if I agree with this. If the above applicant didn't match ANYTHING in the military match...I'm assuming it may be difficult for him/her to match any really competitive civy program.

In light of the fact you were right about the GME-2 list on the other thread, I'm hesitatant to disagree, but I will anyway!

The OP said he applied to 3 different programs at the same instituition, and as his only other listed choice put full deferment. As a program director, wouldn't you be more likely to choose another applicant who whole-heartedly wants to do a residency in your specialty, than someone who would settle for that specialty as long as they could live in Tidewater? (don't ask me why anyone would want to do that!) So it may not be a weakness in the application, per se, but a percieved lack of focus on the part of the applicant.
But I could be wrong, as you have so clearly demonstrated in the recent past!

spang

In light of the fact you were right about the GME-2 list on the other thread, I'm hesitatant to disagree, but I will anyway!

I do see your logic...and I actually totally agree...BUT...I have a number of friends from USUHS this year that actually have already moved to San Diego for 4th year AND ranked only San Diego programs...ie....1) Ortho 2) Gen Surg 3) Transitional etc....; all but one matched their 1st or 2nd choice.

But...since ob/gyn was so competitive this year I can see a program director not selecting him/her b/c she may not have seemed sincere with only ranking 1 ob/gyn program

rotatores

Members don't see this ad :)
rotatores said:
I do see your logic...and I actually totally agree...BUT...I have a number of friends from USUHS this year that actually have already moved to San Diego for 4th year AND ranked only San Diego programs...ie....1) Ortho 2) Gen Surg 3) Transitional etc....; all but one matched their 1st or 2nd choice.

But...since ob/gyn was so competitive this year I can see a program director not selecting him/her b/c she may not have seemed sincere with only ranking 1 ob/gyn program

rotatores

Ob/Gyn is not very competitive out in the normal world. With only 13 spots navy wide per year, things could get competitive within the Navy based on yearly applicant desires.

I'd have to follow what milmd says. You're going to probably get a lot more benign gyn and gyn onc as well as REI in a civilian program. Frankly, civilian programs aren't that hard to match into anymore, and if you want to pursue ob/gyn as specialty, I get the feeling you're better off outside the Navy.

Thanks for the insights; Thanks, bobbyseal for the encouragement and you are SO right about that stuff! fyi, Portsmouth was my only choice due to some heavy family issues, but all happens for a reason...I actually am happy that I get to pursue my career choice in general, several people won't get to be in their 1st choice career field based on "needs of the navy". My first choice career just happens to fit in their projected need.
You are all wonderful, thanks so much for the info!
BTW, is one required to surrender their ID at graduation? Do we continue to be in the reserves? Can we keep our base stickers/commissary privies and all that stuff?
So many questions!! :scared:

rookiedoctor said:
Thanks for the insights; Thanks, bobbyseal for the encouragement and you are SO right about that stuff! fyi, Portsmouth was my only choice due to some heavy family issues, but all happens for a reason...I actually am happy that I get to pursue my career choice in general, several people won't get to be in their 1st choice career field based on "needs of the navy". My first choice career just happens to fit in their projected need.
You are all wonderful, thanks so much for the info!
BTW, is one required to surrender their ID at graduation? Do we continue to be in the reserves? Can we keep our base stickers/commissary privies and all that stuff?
So many questions!! :scared:
Yeah, you're still in the inactive Navy reserve. Keep your ID so you can go to the commissary and the exchange.

bobbyseal said:
Yeah, you're still in the inactive Navy reserve. Keep your ID so you can go to the commissary and the exchange.

bobbyseal:

I understand we still promote in the IRR, is that true? I'm assuming we get a letter in January that explains all of this, no?

spang

The last I heard (this is from the ER director at NMCSD) is that we are in some undefined limbo outside of the IRR since we do not even have to do our 45 days of active duty per year.

I have a question though. For those of us who got a full deferment, do we still need to interview at a couple of prelim spots? I heard once that we do and have to rank one in case we don't match our specialty. I'd rather not have to travel any more than I already am for a prelim interview.

You should be able to scramble into a prelim year if you need to.

You do not get promoted while deferred, but you will be promoted at the first opportunity once you return to active duty. It took about 5 months from when I entered AD Air Force for me to be promoted to O-4.

FliteSurgn said:
You should be able to scramble into a prelim year if you need to.

You do not get promoted while deferred, but you will be promoted at the first opportunity once you return to active duty. It took about 5 months from when I entered AD Air Force for me to be promoted to O-4.
Is that from when you got promoted or when you were able to put on the rank? I hear there is a difference in regards to pay.

bobbyseal said:
Is that from when you got promoted or when you were able to put on the rank? I hear there is a difference in regards to pay.
bump.

Sorry, I'm curious when one gets the pay raise. Is it at the time of being granted the promotion or when you're able to put on the rank.

Thanks.

I don't think its either...I believe its separate all together b/c I've known people who were wearing the rank but had yet to see a bump in their pay.

rotatores
USUHS 2006

rotatores said:
I don't think its either...I believe its separate all together b/c I've known people who were wearing the rank but had yet to see a bump in their pay.

rotatores
USUHS 2006

In the line, and it may be the same for staff, the list comes out after the promotion board results are approved by CNO or SECNAV, I forget which. Those are the people selected for promotion. You actually get promoted as the year goes on, based on your lineal number, if I recall correctly, and that becomes your date of rank. You don't get paid until you actually promote and re-take/sign the oath of office. This is why you see "(sel)" after some people's rank, meaning they selected, but not actually promoted. Also, "phone-commanders" magically appear much more frequently, whereby a LCDR will refer to himself as the abbreviated, and actually correct, "commander" on the phone.

Lastly, in aviation we frequently "frocked" people but I don't think that's actually legal. IOW, once you selected the command had a little all-hands thing in the ready-room and you got to pin on the new rank, but you still didn't get promoted or paid until your actual date.

It's been a few years and few medical textbooks worth of garbage-in since I had to deal with all this, so anyone feel free to correct me!

spang