I got 2 D's in my first year at a Community College...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I got 2 D's in my Community College prior to transferring to UC Davis (where I am a Junior now.) The D's were in Intro to Philosophy and Sociology. I currently have a 3.75 cGPA (without grade replacement), and I'm panicking because I've just realized that I may not get into any MD programs. How screwed am I for Med School applications (assuming that I get a 30+ MCAT, have great EC's, and will be applying for mid-to-low tier med schools.) If it helps, I've gotten A's in all of my Med School prereqs, except for Gen Chem I (B). I was also 16 when I started college (and took the classes,) which I'm hoping will help to mitigate some of the damage.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You posted into the wrong section.

The answer is that those grades are not a big deal.

Hi guys,
So I got 2 D's in my Community College prior to transferring to UC Davis (where I am a Junior now.) The D's were in Intro to Philosophy and Sociology. I currently have a 3.75 cGPA (without grade replacement), and I'm panicking because I've just realized that I may not get into any MD programs. How screwed am I for Med School applications (assuming that I get a 30+ MCAT, have great EC's, and will be applying for mid-to-low tier med schools.) If it helps, I've gotten A's in all of my Med School prereqs, except for Gen Chem I (B). I was also 16 when I started college (and took the classes,) which I'm hoping will help to mitigate some of the damage.

It'll hurt, but most applications have places where you can explain bad grades/stressful events/whatever. If you've rocked everything since then and have decent ECs you'll still have a decent shot at a lot of MD schools. Just do what you can now and apply wisely when the time comes.

Also, this is a question for the pre-med forums.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a couple of bad grade the first semester of undergrad and am currently a first year med student at an MD school. It’s possible to still get in, you probably won’t get into Harvard or Hopkins but many state schools, mid to lower private, and DO schools are still very accessible given the rest of your app is in order.

Also moderators will you move this thread to the correct location.

Reactions: 1 user
I had way worse than that, including >5 Ws, an F, and a D in community college. My cGPA was 3.4 after busting ass to get there, and I am now in my second year of medical school and doing fine. You’ll be okay.

Reactions: 1 users