I don't want to major in bio....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alleyez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i mean, bio is "interesting" but i don't think i have a true passion for it... plus my GPA is kinda low...
i like learning about evolution, humans, and animals.. especially their behavior but i don;t like learning about the stupid cell receptors and crap like that. Any recommendations? psychology maybe?

I hate chemistry, i like psychology...... so i might switch my major to that.

i also want to take a intro to philosophy class to see if i like it.

I'm in my sophomore year... so i don't know if I have lots of time left or not...

one other question, I want also major in something computer related... I'm pretty handy with a computer... took this computer class... easiest A ever to me.. while some of the other students are struggling. What's a good major that deals with computer but nothing like computer engineering or anything like that.

maybe CIS? MIS? something else?

I definitely need to switch my major to something that interests me..... and do good to raise my GPA.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

Psychology and/or CIS/MIS.

Psychology is increasingly biologically oriented and deals a lot with "stupid cell receptors and crap like that" so it depends on the flexibility of your curriculum as to how much of that stuff you will get.

If you are interested in biomedical engineering, you could work on neural imaging or something like that.

oh yeah, forgot to mention... one problem is after i graduate ... and don't get accepted into any med school... i would MUCH rather do graduate study in someting science related like bio....
bio opens more doors.... i need something to fall back on just in case...

so i don't know if I should keep my bio major and just add another major to it like psych or IT or something...

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Gleevec
Sounds like you answered your own question.

Psychology and/or CIS/MIS.

Psychology is increasingly biologically oriented and deals a lot with "stupid cell receptors and crap like that" so it depends on the flexibility of your curriculum as to how much of that stuff you will get.

If you are interested in biomedical engineering, you could work on neural imaging or something like that.

thanks for the quick reply..

btw, my school doesnt offer biomedical engineering undergrad... only in grad school even though that sounds pretty interesting...

i'm a bio major and ive only taken one class that hasnt dealt directly with humans (outside of gen bio), and even then it dealt with homologous genes and developmental patterns. look into the classes offered by your college; it's not always stupid cell receptors and photosynthesis

a quick rundown of classes i've taken for my bio major:
developmental bio (the one looking @ various species' homologous genes and patterns)
anatomy and physiology
immunology & epidemiology
biochemistry
bio of the human eye
genetics to genomics (about the human genome project)

there's variety out there...just do your research and find what looks the most interesting :)

Originally posted by alleyez
oh yeah, forgot to mention... one problem is after i graduate ... and don't get accepted into any med school... i would MUCH rather do graduate study in someting science related like bio....
???

In your first post you said you don't have a passion for bio. I don't get it. You should do what you have a passion for. That aside, you're only a sophomore. Take a step back and enjoy the time you have to explore and decide what's right for you.

Originally posted by lane
i'm a bio major and ive only taken one class that hasnt dealt directly with humans (outside of gen bio), and even then it dealt with homologous genes and developmental patterns. look into the classes offered by your college; it's not always stupid cell receptors and photosynthesis

a quick rundown of classes i've taken for my bio major:
developmental bio (the one looking @ various species' homologous genes and patterns)
anatomy and physiology
immunology & epidemiology
biochemistry
bio of the human eye
genetics to genomics (about the human genome project)

there's variety out there...just do your research and find what looks the most interesting :)

oh god yes i hate photosynthesis, kreb's cycle, stupid cell receptors, etc..etc..

I've only taken my first semester of bio (Bio I)
but some of those classes you mentioned sound interesting... just a lot of memorization...

I'm under the general biology major... not microbiology or anything like that.

Does microbio have any advantage over a general bio major?

p.s. I really need to take a intro to philosophy class to see if it's for me. Hopefully over the summer..

Originally posted by Bones2008
???

In your first post you said you don't have a passion for bio. I don't get it. You should do what you have a passion for. That aside, you're only a sophomore. Take a step back and enjoy the time you have to explore and decide what's right for you.

I do enjoy biology.... and would love to do grad level work in something bio related... working in a lab, etc.

honestly, i really don't know what i like and don't like.

I feel like I'm running out of time ... compared to all the rest of my classmates who are already taking organic II next semester.... getting good grades... etc. :( I feel behind and hopeless

bio opens more doors.... i need something to fall back on just in case...

so i don't know if I should keep my bio major and just add another major to it like psych or IT or something...

what do you guys think?

First, although you don't have to major in bio, you still need some background with those cell receptors. Obviously, you'll need to learn about them in medical school. Perhaps you might want to major in what you want and minor in biology?

Secondly, it seems like you don't really care for studying about proteins, enzymes, etc. Why do you want to study a subject matter at the graduate level that you don't particularly like? I don't mean to discourage you, but what if you don't ever get into medical school? There is a real possibility of doing something you're not really passionate about for many years to come.

If you decide to work for a year or two before matriculating into a medical school, think about majoring in CS, IT, or any major you like that will allow you to land a job that will make you some decent $$$.

My advice: Major in something you like, but make sure you gain a strong biological background before you apply for/enter med school. In the event that you don't get in (or change your mind about becoming a doctor), make sure that you get to do something for a living that you love.

You definately don't have to major in bio. Do make sure that you major in something you love or all the courses you take will be hell. I'm a Biblical Archaeology: Ancient Near East major with a Hebrew bible minor. How many of those do you know? I do find bio to be interesting but I also love archaeology and believe it or not I get great people skills from the class because we deal alot with anthropology. Good luck choosing your major.

def. major in psychological chemistry...

I'm an English major, focusing in American lit.

Any other English majors here?:cool:

History major here...If I were the original poster, I'd probably major in psych and minor in bio. And don't take any classes from now on that don't satisfy req's for your major, minor, or gen ed. req's. The next two and a half years will fly by, so now is a good time to start focusing on a major/minor. ONe thing about minoring is that this time next year you might realize that psych blows and bio is actually your calling, and you'll be able to flip flop your major/minor easily because you were taking classes ni both fields all along.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chem major...but if I could redo things, I would have majored in Russian languages and literature or linguists, not thought twice about it, and still would have applied to medical school.

Bottom line, major in what you want to major in.

I'm also an English major. All the people I've talked to so far at my school and some of the schools I might transfer to told me to major in biology, but I like English better so that's what I'm doing.

If you're interested in psych/comp sci/philosophy, have you considered a major in cognitive science? Not every school has one, but it's a pretty cool blend of all of the above. And it brings in some biology to boot.

It sounds like you need more time to figure out what you're really passionate about. Try not to feel bad about it! Remember, it's better to take your time looking around now than it is to sort of float along mindlessly and realize when you're 30 that you've made a horrible mistake and should have done something else!

Originally posted by tygrwds
First, although you don't have to major in bio, you still need some background with those cell receptors. Obviously, you'll need to learn about them in medical school.

My thoughts exactly. We spend a notable amount of time on this stuff in med school. You won't be able to avoid it.

Originally posted by tygrwds
My advice: Major in something you like, but make sure you gain a strong biological background before you apply for/enter med school. In the event that you don't get in (or change your mind about becoming a doctor), make sure that you get to do something for a living that you love.

Agree completely. There is absolutely no need for you to do a bio major as long as you pick up the required courese. Pick something that you like. :D

Well, you've only taken one semester of bio right? Introduction Biology? Which is pretty much just a quick overview of generalized (usually animal) biological systems.. I'm also presuming the Campbell book?

Well, look here.. everyone has to get through all that crap to get to the meat of what you want to study.. you just have to punch your way through it. Also, the introductory classes will be focused more on animal testing of course, to teach you how they experimentally derived the data and the systems. Though once you start going into the advanced classes.. a lot of it does become very focused on humans or at the very least, very applicable. My classes didn't become specific until I passed Biochemistry and molecular biology and genetics.

The same thing with psychology. My psych books are FILLED with animal models since those are the ones you'll have to become most familiar with if you're going for research as well. And neuroscience? Absolutely filled to the brim with animal models.

Originally posted by DrMom
Agree completely. There is absolutely no need for you to do a bio major as long as you pick up the required courese. Pick something that you like. :D

Also try and pick something marketable. You never know what is going to happen, it's somewhat difficult to get a job with a B.S. in philosophy.

Originally posted by rgporter
Also try and pick something marketable. You never know what is going to happen, it's somewhat difficult to get a job with a B.S. in philosophy.

very true

I always :rolleyes: at the news stories of college grads who can't get jobs...then they tell you that they majored in French/history/philosphy.

i mean, bio is "interesting" but i don't think i have a true passion for it... plus my GPA is kinda low...
i like learning about evolution, humans, and animals.. especially their behavior but i don;t like learning about the stupid cell receptors and crap like that. Any recommendations? psychology maybe?

I hate chemistry, i like psychology...... so i might switch my major to that.

i also want to take a intro to philosophy class to see if i like it.

I'm in my sophomore year... so i don't know if I have lots of time left or not...

one other question, I want also major in something computer related... I'm pretty handy with a computer... took this computer class... easiest A ever to me.. while some of the other students are struggling. What's a good major that deals with computer but nothing like computer engineering or anything like that.

maybe CIS? MIS? something else?

I definitely need to switch my major to something that interests me..... and do good to raise my GPA.

thanks

There seems to be a lot you don't like about bio/biochemistry. I don't mean to be discouraging, but why does doctoring appeal to you? What kind of doctor do you want to be? Much of this field is based on cell-cell interactions, mostly in pharmacology. I don't understand your drive to becoming a doctor.

Originally posted by fabiolablake
There seems to be a lot you don't like about bio/biochemistry. I don't mean to be discouraging, but why does doctoring appeal to you? What kind of doctor do you want to be? Much of this field is based on cell-cell interactions, mostly in pharmacology. I don't understand your drive to becoming a doctor.

um...maybe she wants to help sick people?

yeah, okay, cell-cell interactions have a lot to do with our health. but you can be a doctor and not focus a whole lot on things at that level. of course you have to know about it and understand pharmacology. most clinicians i know are more interested in their patients than in their patients' cells. they learned that stuff in medical school, but it wasn't the driving factor in their decision to become doctors.

if cell-level bio what you're most interested in, i'd say you're better off working as a bench researcher, not as a clinical physician!

I was a Biology/Sociology major. I knew that I also wanted a career in public health, so I chose a major that most closely correlated with social determinants of health and human welfare. I actually picked up the Bio major during the last semester of my senior year of college, mainly b/c my roommate (who was a French major) told me that she only needed a few more credits to complete the major. My transcript revealed that, b/c one of my anthropology classes counted as a bio lab, I only needed 2 credits to complete the 36 for the major.

The moral of the story is (as everyone has repeated several times here) do what you like, and don't hesitate on it. I also think that you can take an adequate number of biology classes without majoring in it and still come out with a strong science background. Above and beyond med school requisites, I took courses such as Immunology, Human Physiology, and Vertebrate Histology.

I would be careful with majors like computer science. I had a friend who defaulted to a minor in CSI after getting a C- in her C++ class (yes, this was a while back), although she was near perfect in Biology. I would go with a major that wouldn't have your head spinning (or you might as well be a Bio major) and one that won't bring your grades down as some majors can do (i.e., computer science, philosophy - depending on how much you can adhere to the professor's opinions, J/K). Remember to take a challenging courseload as well; take your pre-reqs, kick ass in them, and enjoy whatever major you choose that fits you best (I sound like a Cingular commercial...). Anywho, I hope this helps.

EDIT: Disliking some sciences is not unheard of, nor is it a precursor for not being a successful doctor (I sure am not a big fan of genetics, but I know how important it will be in my future career). Sciences in undergrad are designed to weed people out, a reason why the classes start out big and get smaller as you advance into higher level courses. As long as you're able to find the relevance in what you're doing and keep your eyes on the big picture, you'll be able to get through those sticky bio courses.

Originally posted by fabiolablake
I would say most people I know (regardless of med school) don't enjoy these classes. Its just something to learn to do well in clinicals and to actually get to clinicals.