I don't really want to waste $90

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I did something pretty ballsy earlier this year, I signed up for the calculus AP exam, but I'm not in AP Calculus. So it might not have been much of a problem, but I also havent finished Pre-Calculus. I am in Algebra 3-4 right now and have many Algebra, Pre-cal, Calc text books and dummy books. So again it would be just a matter of me studying, well... the tests are about two weeks away and I haven't studied at all so what are crucial topics needed to move swiftly (very swiftly) from Algebra 3-4 to Pre-Calc to Calc and get a decent grip on Calc in a matter of about a week? Or about 30~40 hours of studying?

Members don't see this ad.

I would get down what integrals and derivatives mean (and how to do them, obviously), for sure. Also, you're going to want to learn the chain rule and other special cases. Learn how to solve simple differential equations. I don't recall if manipulation of e/ln is part of the Calc AB curriculum, but if it is, definitely have a firm grasp on that. Solving a rate of change problem would also be a good thing to know how to do.

Uh. Don't take the test if you haven't taken the class. It isn't something like history that you can just read up on. Besides, it was beneficial to take it in college. During my undergrad they recommended everyone, even people that could test out of Calc 1 to take it anyway. I was in an accelerated class with engineering students and was the only one that didn't have calc in high school, yet the people that had it before seemed to do worse. I think it'd be a waste of money if you never had the class.