I don’t qualify to be an officer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1074310

So I have yet to reach out to the Air Force (which I’m told is even more selective) or army officer recruiters. But I was speaking with a navy recruiter today about the FAP who told me I wouldn’t qualify to join the navy as an officer because of my poor undergraduate GPA (I graduated in 2013 and have since completed a masters program in which I did very well) and arrest record (arrested in 2011 and charged with multiple felonies for making false identifications for myself and my friends which was ultimately dismissed and expunged).

Does my undergrad GPA really hold that much weight considering I’m currently a 4th year medical student? The guy then went on to tell me I could “enlist” and then try to become an officer through that route which is obviously not an option on my end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have yet to reach out to the Air Force (which I’m told is even more selective) or army officer recruiters. But I was speaking with a navy recruiter today about the FAP who told me I wouldn’t qualify to join the navy as an officer because of my poor undergraduate GPA (I graduated in 2013 and have since completed a masters program in which I did very well) and arrest record (arrested in 2011 and charged with multiple felonies for making false identifications for myself and my friends which was ultimately dismissed and expunged).

Does my undergrad GPA really hold that much weight considering I’m currently a 4th year medical student? The guy then went on to tell me I could “enlist” and then try to become an officer through that route which is obviously not an option on my end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if they look at undergrad scores when you're already a fourth year medical student. As a physician they don't care about it all, they don't care about your undergraduate degree even. To get around that, you may want to just wait until you graduate so they don't give a flying fig about undergrad. The Air Force never once asked for record of my undergrad, nor a copy of my undergrad degree.

I think the biggest issue will be your arrest record. I don't know the legalities, but when you say dismissed and expunged how was it brought up? Meaning the evidence is still there you were arrested then? The initial application and MEPS are like DMV on steroids. They will pounce on just about anything and tear it up, and I understand criminal records are the ones most difficult to waiver off. In this case you had multiple FELONIES against you, and for fraudulent behavior.

I'm not sure if they look at undergrad scores when you're already a fourth year medical student. As a physician they don't care about it all, they don't care about your undergraduate degree even. To get around that, you may want to just wait until you graduate so they don't give a flying fig about undergrad. The Air Force never once asked for record of my undergrad, nor a copy of my undergrad degree.

I think the biggest issue will be your arrest record. I don't know the legalities, but when you say dismissed and expunged how was it brought up? Meaning the evidence is still there you were arrested then? The initial application and MEPS are like DMV on steroids. They will pounce on just about anything and tear it up, and I understand criminal records are the ones most difficult to waiver off. In this case you had multiple FELONIES against you, and for fraudulent behavior.

Yes they were felonies but I believe they were dropped because the judge thought the charges far outweighed the “crime”. I was 20 years old and literally everyone and their mother had a fake ID. I just decided to make one instead of purchase one. It is by no means a testament to my character today and in my opinion it’s less serious that say a DUI. I think the recruiter I was speaking to was confused and did not realize I was in medical school because I can’t wrap my mind around my undergrad GPA being a disqualification. I’m pretty sure there’s no evidence of the arrest except a newspaper article and I’m certain that the military/FBI/police can find expunged records when they run a background check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether you would pass a background check for TS or not is hard to say. What is 100% certain is you were talking to a generic recruiter rather than a medical officer recruiter. Call a different office and ask to speak only with that person...I guess

Reactions: 4 users
Whether you would pass a background check for TS or not is hard to say. What is 100% certain is you were talking to a generic recruiter rather than a medical officer recruiter. Call a different office and ask to speak only with that person...I guess
This is the right answer. I don’t know much about legalities either but I have to think that being arrested alone wouldn’t be disqualifying. It sounds like you really did something but legally it’s no different than someone being falsely arrested or acquitted of a crime, right? Again I don’t actually know. But yes you need to speak to a health professions recruiter.

Reactions: 1 user

Were you convicted of anything? Charges that were dropped are not charges anymore. Expunged means that records should not be discoverable, literally by the court's order.
Did you plead to a lesser charge? Nolo to anything? If not, you should have no record at all.
Your UG GPA can be a criteria for selection but you received a diploma and you report doing well in your masters program and you got accepted to med school. They could but shouldn't be that selective.
Forget that recruiter. Do not enlist. FAP is for residents in specialties the Navy (and other services) needs. If you are in one of those specialties, they should be giving you information about billet availability in that specialty, not wasting time with irrelevant stuff like a fake ID issue so you could buy a drink at an age two years older than you would have to have been to walk point in Basra.

Reactions: 1 users
Generally unless you talk to a medical recruiter, you're wasting your time.

Reactions: 4 users

The fundamental point: The recruiter does not get credit unless you "enlist." Of course, he is going to say you don't qualify to be an officer, but I am sure he would dangle an enticing enlistment offer for you.

A nephew of mine was scheduled to graduate and be commissioned in May. An AF recruiter contacted him in April and attempted to have him leave school a few weeks before graduation, enlist, complete his degree at night, and then go through OCS. (He was apparently vague on the consequences of violating his scholarship contract.)

NEVER talk to a recruiter who is not a special health professions recruiter.

The fundamental point: The recruiter does not get credit unless you "enlist." Of course, he is going to say you don't qualify to be an officer, but I am sure he would dangle an enticing enlistment offer for you.

A nephew of mine was scheduled to graduate and be commissioned in May. An AF recruiter contacted him in April and attempted to have him leave school a few weeks before graduation, enlist, complete his degree at night, and then go through OCS. (He was apparently vague on the consequences of violating his scholarship contract.)

NEVER talk to a recruiter who is not a special health professions recruiter.

For transitioning to the reserves I made the mistake of talking to a general recruiter at first. He tried to tell me that the military doesn't hire podiatrists (I was still active duty as a Podiatrist) and then told me he could get me in as an E5 and send me to Special-Ops training.

Not sure how I was supposed to do that in private practice.

Reactions: 1 user