I Don't Know What To Feel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't quite understand somethings. If you want explanations, I'll give them to you. Undergraduate school sucked. I just didn't do well. Period.

As for my DAT, yeah I got a 23AA and that's good.

As for my Master's, yeah it's a 3.3, but I most likely won't receive the degree, just the coursework and grades.

Yes, my sGPA and bcpGPA is under 3.0. The only way to resolve this is to take a bunch of CC classes and get A's in them.

Only problem is that my sGPA and bcpGPA is so god damn diluted, that it's going to take maybe 9-10 classes to get it done.

Honestly, I'm sick of schooling and sick of everything. Even if I were to re-apply in June (which I really don't want to), I'd have to begin my CC classes NOW (or in January) which means I probbaly have to apply June 2014 if things don't work out and I really don't want to do any of this.

Please someone give me hope. What are my god honest chances for this cycle for which I already applied to?

just fyi, even if you do get a spring interview/acceptance, you will have to send your transcripts in before u enroll/are fully accepted . if you send in your MS transcripts in May for example, for your ds acceptance (if u get acceptances) background check or w/e, if your "degree earned/rewarded" section is left blank......thats kind of sketch dont ya think? ds's might wonder why you were never rewarded your MS degree, not that u NEED an MS to get into ds, but just saying. u might need to consider that. also did u already take your test? why are u so set on failing?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to play devil's advocate, the DAT doesn't prove that one is capable of handling classes. Scoring well on the DAT does show that one can master the material for this test, but nothing about how one handles the ins and outs of school.

If someone completely dedicates 2 months to studying for the DAT, they can score very well. Scoring well on that test is reflective that one can dedicate 2 months to studying for the DAT and perform well on ONE exam. In two and a half weeks I have 5 finals in 4 days, which is nothing compared to the load in dental school, and how I can manage my time such that I do well on 5 cumulative finals is more indicative of my ability to succeed in dental school.
So he should give up altogether, right? Why don't you just cut to the chase? :idea:
If you've nothing positive to contribute to someone who is completely defeated about this application cycle, then don't bother.

just fyi, even if you do get a spring interview/acceptance, you will have to send your transcripts in before u enroll/are fully accepted . if you send in your MS transcripts in May for example, for your ds acceptance (if u get acceptances) background check or w/e, if your "degree earned/rewarded" section is left blank......thats kind of sketch dont ya think? ds's might wonder why you were never rewarded your MS degree, not that u NEED an MS to get into ds, but just saying. u might need to consider that. also did u already take your test? why are u so set on failing?

Does he even need to tell them he was taking these classes for the MS program? He could've just randomly been taking these specific classes...right?

Members don't see this ad :)
@isittoolate:

I like the DAT. It's the equalizer in the admissions process. If one cannot perform on the DAT what does that say about their understanding of the tested topics; which, were covered by the prereq classes?

@isittoolate:

I like the DAT. It's the equalizer in the admissions process. If one cannot perform on the DAT what does that say about their understanding of the tested topics; which, were covered by the prereq classes?

I would agree with the above. Unless you're just a horrible test taker.

Look, if you're going to continue taking classes, I don't know if you should take CC classes. Some schools don't accept CC classes. Honestly look into your options. Maybe you can take classes at a state school? Also, if 9-10 class is is what it'll take to get you to a 3.0 (which is the cut off at some schools, no?) then take the 9-10 classes you need and ACE them (You can do 4 over the summer, 4 during fall semester, and 2 during spring...I think that makes a full load for the summer semesters and fall semester and a half load during the spring semester). Put your all into this. You already know what the big red flag on your application is. As I've said before, you've shown by your DAT scores that you can master science material. Now go prove that with your grades for the classes you are taking.

As I've said before, you need to determine what you're doing wrong and where you can improve in how you're approaching your classes. Are you attending class? Taking notes? Reviewing them on a daily basis? Studying on a regular basis and not cramming for exams? Be honest with yourself.

As for your master's, well you have finals coming up. Get off of SDN and study your butt off for that. Try to improve as much as you possibly can!

I just calculated everything out in Excel and I need about 3 CC courses to raise my science GPA to above a 3.0

I'm at around a 2.96 right now in terms of science GPA. By taking 3 science CC classes like Astronomy, or Nutrition, or Physics or Geology or Oceanography< I can raise the science GPA to 3.0

Of course, my BCP will still be around a 2.85 ish. But everything will go up.

I can take these classes from January to May and then re-apply in June if things don't work out this cycle.

I just calculated everything out in Excel and I need about 3 CC courses to raise my science GPA to above a 3.0

I'm at around a 2.96 right now in terms of science GPA. By taking 3 science CC classes like Astronomy, or Nutrition, or Physics or Geology or Oceanography< I can raise the science GPA to 3.0

Of course, my BCP will still be around a 2.85 ish. But everything will go up.

I can take these classes from January to May and then re-apply in June if things don't work out this cycle.

Again, I suggest you look into what schools you're applying to think of CC classes. I know it's not acceptable at some schools.

Additionally, how much would it take for you to raise that BCP to a 3.0? You might as well take bcp classes, which will raise your science and your bcp GPA's.

What kind of master's are you doing? How many semesters have you completed? How many do you have left?

Again, I suggest you look into what schools you're applying to think of CC classes. I know it's not acceptable at some schools.

Additionally, how much would it take for you to raise that BCP to a 3.0? You might as well take bcp classes, which will raise your science and your bcp GPA's.

What kind of master's are you doing? How many semesters have you completed? How many do you have left?

I know only Tufts doesn't accept CC. None of these CC's were for pre-reqs anyway.

As for taking BCP to 3.0, I'd have to re-calculate.

As for the Master's, like I mentioned, I probably will not get the degree, but instead will have 1 year of post-bacc "grad school" work, with a GPA of 3.3

So right now I'm all "done" with everything, I'm just waiting for possible interviews this cycle.

@isittoolate:

I think that the DAT does act as an equalizer of sorts, but I am not convinced that it accomplishes this so well. Like other standardized tests, with the right information (study materials), one can score very well. One can excel on the DAT without having a great foundation in the sciences IMO. For the most part questions are comprehension based with few analysis and application questions, which I believe are much more indicative in determining knowledge. Therefore with resources becoming more tailored to the DAT specifically, I believe scores are less representative of overall knowledge, but rather only the small amount of material that the DAT can test on.

The DAT is an attempt to establish some standard with which applicants can be compared. Personally, I know someone who scored a 24AA that is struggling in many of the upper BIO classes at my school. I don't think that success on the DAT necessarily translates to success in the classroom

So he should give up altogether, right? Why don't you just cut to the chase? :idea:
If you've nothing positive to contribute to someone who is completely defeated about this application cycle, then don't bother.

Actually, isittoolate has it right. Of course, the DAT is important, but to be honest, in dental school, almost everyone is an accomplished test taker. The few outliers aside, those who do well are the ones who sacrifice more, prepare longer, spend the time to sit there and do something over and over again until they get it, not right, but perfect.

The hours are insane, and the workload crushing. I think we had something ridiculous like 13 finals and practicals in 10 days, last year. Someone who can handle THAT is who the adcoms are looking for. So it makes me laugh when 2pac tries to fix his "situation" by taking 3 lousy CC classes, because he's supposedly burnt out. Right... because things will get sooo much better once he gets in. Honestly, I don't have the time to read SDN, but watching him consistently ask for advice, ignore the good ones, and make the same mistakes over and over is so infuriatingly entertaining, I can't help myself. Maybe that makes me a jerk, but we all have our guilty pleasures.

Which brings me to my last point. Right now, you're all part of a cohort of people applying for admission. You pull for each other unconditionally, which is understandable and admirable. But pause and reflect on the fact that pretty soon, you'll be in dental school. Then you'll get patients, with all the responsibilities it entails. You'll meet perfectly nice people, who are walking around with work, and sometimes pathologies in their mouths that'll make you go: "what the hell was that previous dentist thinking?" You'll realize that part of the reason why dentistry is such an exclusive club is that not everyone who wants to be a doctor can handle it. Getting a shot at it should be hard.

Last edited:
Actually, isittoolate has it right. Of course, the DAT is important, but to be honest, in dental school, almost everyone is an accomplished test taker. The few outliers aside, those who do well are the ones who sacrifice more, prepare longer, spend the time to sit there and do something over and over again until they get it, not right, but perfect.

The hours are insane, and the workload crushing. I think we had something ridiculous like 13 finals and practicals in 10 days, last year. Someone who can handle THAT is who the adcoms are looking for. So it makes me laugh when 2pac tries to fix his "situation" by taking 3 lousy CC classes, because he's supposedly burnt out. Right... because things will get sooo much better once he gets in. Honestly, I don't have the time to read SDN, but watching him consistently ask for advice, ignore the good ones, and make the same mistakes over and over is so infuriatingly entertaining, I can't help myself. Maybe that makes me a jerk, but we all have our guilty pleasures.

Which brings me to my last point. Right now, you're all part of a cohort of people applying for admission. You pull for each other unconditionally, which is understandable and admirable. But pause and reflect on the fact that pretty soon, you'll be in dental school. Then you'll get patients, with all the responsibilities it entails. You'll meet perfectly nice people, who are walking around with work, and sometimes pathologies in their mouths that'll make you go: "what the hell was that previous dentist thinking?" Your cohort will have changed. You'll realize that part of the reason why dentistry is such an exclusive club is that not everyone who wants to be a doctor can handle it. Getting a shot at it should be hard.

When have I ever taken the easy road or ignored people's advice?

Dude don't listen to what he has to say. Obviously he has not followed your story, he just thinks he knows whats going on with you and wants to chime in negativity. Not even worth a response. Keep your moral up man, good luck I am continually rooting for you

Oh... I don't know. Like the time you were trying to decide on a post bac program? Everyone who knew what they were doing told you to find the most impressive one possible, apply yourself, take as many classes as possible. Instead, you chose Channel Island because "it's a guaranteed 4.0" or some other nonsense?

Or the time you almost flunk out of that masters, and people told you that it wasn't too late if you started working now. Instead, you decided that a 23 guaranteed you admission, so you went ahead worked so hard you failed or almost failed the exam.

Or the time you asked for feedback on the list of schools you applied to, and argued with everyone who told you who had no shot at Harvard or UCSF, or UW?

Or every other time you posted on here with your hair on fire because you had some sort of emergency, and people told you to get off SDN and go fix it. Instead, you just posted more.

Please, you're an easy guy to root for, but are you really asking that question?

ETA: btw, please, tell which part of your story it is that I missed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh... I don't know. Like the time you were trying to decide on a post bac program? Everyone who knew what they were doing told you to find the most impressive one possible, apply yourself, take as many classes as possible. Instead, you chose Channel Island because "it's a guaranteed 4.0" or some other nonsense?

Or the time you almost flunk out of that masters, and people told you that it wasn't too late if you started working now. Instead, you decided that a 23 guaranteed you admission, so you went ahead worked so hard you failed or almost failed the exam.

Or the time you asked for feedback on the list of schools you applied to, and argued with everyone who told you who had no shot at Harvard or UCSF, or UW?

Or every other time you posted on here with your hair on fire because you had some sort of emergency, and people told you to get off SDN and go fix it. Instead, you just posted more.

Please, you're an easy guy to root for, but are you really asking that question?

We got a fan here :D:D:D jk. OP. Definitely you had your chance in masters to redeem yourself, but you didn't prove you can handle rigor of heavy science (and some of them were seminars? really?). The worst part is that the master programs from what you chose (from your posts) are not SMPS. I'm attending a CSU myself and classes here ,upper level courses (400, 500 level courses which grad students take along) are joke. IMO I see 2 options: career change or do another 1 year masters. :(

We got a fan here :D:D:D jk. OP. Definitely you had your chance in masters to redeem yourself, but you didn't prove you can handle rigor of heavy science (and some of them were seminars? really?). The worst part is that the master programs from what you chose (from your posts) are not SMPS. I'm attending a CSU myself and classes here ,upper level courses (400, 500 level courses which grad students take along) are joke. IMO I see 2 options: career change or do another 1 year masters. :(

well, if you go to CSULA then I can understand that the classes are joke because it is pretty much the abandoned child of the CSU system. However, I think it varies from school to school ( or prof to prof). I knew some one who got straight A's in Biochem classes and labs at cal poly, he later got a C in molecular at another CSU campus. but yeah, to the OP, do a 1 year MA ( midwestern will guarantee an interview for dental school if you are in their MA biomed program). Don't give up without a fight.

I didn't go to a CSU and no, the classes weren't easy.

And no I'm not doing another Master's, I spent $30,000 in loans on this one and I'm not going to do that again.

Best option is to take classes to up my BCP GPA to above a 3.0

best option is to become religious for LLU or go work in a third world country for asdoh

2Pac, good luck this cycle. Keep your head up and try to retake the classes that you can retake. Stay positive. You can do it!! :)

2PacClone23, you must figure out how to motivate yourself to avoid this sort of situation. Your grades right now and from this point on are really important (they will make or further break your future), and it is difficult to get good grades if you don't study on time. My mentality early in undergrad was "if I mess up on this exam, I'll get up to speed on the next one," but that's impossible.

You need to understand each cluster of new content, especially if the professor is unclear or otherwise unhelpful, as they tend to be more than you'd like. That means going to every class, taking meticulous notes and following up with however much work you need to do to understand a concept. That can be every night, or just in the week or two leading up to the exam, it doesn't matter as long as you get results. What you can't do, however, is let your guard down and get into an unwinnable situation by the time the final rolls around. It's one of the easiest positions to find yourself in and the hardest to get out of, because learning takes time and time is short. Once you can teach the material to another person, that's when you really started to learn it. That's my benchmark, anyway.

It may all sound very generic, but it's the best way I can explain it in the moment. Also, I know it's all too late, because you've already taken the exam. But if you're planning to move on to take other science classes and go to dental school, then you absolutely must come at it from a new perspective because it is a different type of learning.

There's always more to say, but for now take a calm, clear look at where you stand, both in the immediate as well as overall. As always, there are a lot of options in terms of how to move forward but you need to reevaluate the situation.

2PacClone23, you must figure out how to motivate yourself to avoid this sort of situation. Your grades right now and from this point on are really important (they will make or further break your future), and it is difficult to get good grades if you don't study on time. My mentality early in undergrad was "if I mess up on this exam, I'll get up to speed on the next one," but that's impossible.

You need to understand each cluster of new content, especially if the professor is unclear or otherwise unhelpful, as they tend to be more than you'd like. That means going to every class, taking meticulous notes and following up with however much work you need to do to understand a concept. That can be every night, or just in the week or two leading up to the exam, it doesn't matter as long as you get results. What you can't do, however, is let your guard down and get into an unwinnable situation by the time the final rolls around. It's one of the easiest positions to find yourself in and the hardest to get out of, because learning takes time and time is short. Once you can teach the material to another person, that's when you really started to learn it. That's my benchmark, anyway.

It may all sound very generic, but it's the best way I can explain it in the moment. Also, I know it's all too late, because you've already taken the exam. But if you're planning to move on to take other science classes and go to dental school, then you absolutely must come at it from a new perspective because it is a different type of learning.

There's always more to say, but for now take a calm, clear look at where you stand, both in the immediate as well as overall. As always, there are a lot of options in terms of how to move forward but you need to reevaluate the situation.

What do you mean by "grades here on out"? I've already finished school.

What do you mean by "grades here on out"? I've already finished school.

Clearly you don't have the most satisfactory grades in your BCP classes or your Master's program, and I presume that you'll be taking more classes to raise your GPA and actually prove that you'll be able to handle the dental school workload if you don't get in this cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's time you listened to B.I.G. for motivation instead of 2pac's lyrics.

Its best you get an MBA at this point it will not only allow you to enhance your gpa, but will also leave you with back up options, Biology and MBA combo is great!

Its best you get an MBA at this point it will not only allow you to enhance your gpa, but will also leave you with back up options, Biology and MBA combo is great!

I am out of long term ideas. Raising my GPA seems to be the best path forward.

I'm telling take my advice get the MBA, 4.0 it! It will help in multiple ways...also before that demand the MS program you were in to give you a retest and study like your life depends on it! Do not give up that MS! GL

why not do USC's RDH/DDS dual program. Or proceed thru RDH first then DDS, just to show you can make it into one before the other since DDS is hard right now. If you really want it, might as well work in the field with another degree in it. for the experience. You already have the classes to apply for RDH program.

Look I will just give you an example of what happened with me.

I have to agree with Inngu, in the beginning of my college education I used to make all the excuses in the world why I wasn't succeeding and wouldn't accept responsibility for me not performing well. Coddling someone and telling them it will be fine does not work since you will fall back into your bad habits.

You need to realize you are on your last leg, while I was not on my last leg per say, I wanted to prove in undergrad I could handle the course work, so I was on my last leg if I didn't want to do a MS or Post-Bac to raise my GPA.

At the end of my 3rd year, it took me 5 years to graduate from a CSU, I had roughly a 3.08 or 3.09. It took me to motivate myself, plus knowing I had to get my stuff together on my own and realize how badly I had messed up. It will take awhile to correct bad habits, it will not happen in a day you need to actively work on it and not let yourself revert back.

Since I got refocused it did take awhile to break away from those bad habits, almost a year fully before I finally got away from the. While i was breaking away my GPA raised by the semester from, 3.45-->3.5-->3.82-->3.73.-->3.92.
5 semester of improving my GPA and self-motivation when knowing you have to do it.

In order I took 18 units, then 16 units, then 12 units, 16 and finally 15 units. So in 5 semester I took 77 units with 53 of those units being BCP classes. In my last 2 semesters alone I took 22 BCP classes, upper division classes like a hormones and behavior, animal behavior, o-chem 2 lab, biochem and anatomy plus some more. 8 BCP classes and received 7 A's plus 1 A- in anatomy.

The moral of the story is you have to realize on your own that you need to get your habits in order and all this, oh you will be fine is not going to help. I personally went through the same stuff and coddling someone telling them it is going to be okay will just make someone continue to slack off. I know no one wants to be mean, sometimes a swift kick in the pants is what someone really needs for reality to kick in.

You should have picked a MS like midwestern, which would have helped more. I went to SFSU and they have a really good post-bac program especially for pre-dents that would have helped you greatly. A friend of mine came and did a post-bac of here, several at that, and ended up going to dental school.
Not all CSU's are bad, I can't compare how they are compared to UC's since I never sat in any UC class.

While the UC's are more than likely harder CSU's for a variety of reasons, each school has there easy teachers and hard teachers. My O-chem class was not curved at all like some of my friends who went to a UC where their class was curved, the average being a C+, I received mid 80s with the average being like 58 and I still only received a B. Then there are your teachers at CSU's that curve, which helps you get an A, but most of my classes were just what you get is what you get no curve at all. Not all the teachers are bad like people think, my Biochem teacher works with a UCSF lab I believe and was published within the last 2 years with that lab as the lead author.

I would look into doing the SFSU post-bac program if I was you since it is a good program from what many of the people in the program have told me. Nothing you will do will guarantee you an admissions acceptance, all you can do is try to put yourself in the best possible position to have a good chance. Just realize if you do the post-bac you have to put all your effort into and break bad habits.

I also agree it is easy to do well on the DAT if you study hard with the material. I made mistakes for the DAT time wise, psyching myself out and the worst possible thing is trying to work at the same time. I gave myself 3 months of not working retook my DAT and received a 20AA 20 TS and 20 PAT.

It's probably not smartest idea to go from postbac-> masters and to CC......

I think you need to speak with admissions counselors at multiple dental schools. Meet in person if possible and ask them what you would need to do to get in. You'll most likely receive some hard answers and you can either work to get there or choose a different path. Admissions officers can give you a clear picture of what needs to happen. It will surely be a hard road but if it's what you truly want you'll do anything to get in.

I applied two years ago and received one interview but wasn't accepted. I had my own obstacles to overcome. I met with two assistant deans of admissions and asked them to give me clear answers to what I would need to do to get accepted to their programs. I was able to fully meet the requirements they set and improved my application in a variety of ways. I received 12 interview invitations and several acceptances so far (to my top choices). You can do it if you have the drive and desire.

Seeing how you have already exhausted a lot of options, I would start to consider moving to get residency in a state where they accept a large # of instate applicants with the lowest admissions standards possible. I don't know what state that would be, but it would be the last and final step I would take to try and gain admission. This is of course assuming you will have to apply again, which you may not need to as I think you should still have some hope for this cycle.

Seeing how you have already exhausted a lot of options, I would start to consider moving to get residency in a state where they accept a large # of instate applicants with the lowest admissions standards possible. I don't know what state that would be, but it would be the last and final step I would take to try and gain admission. This is of course assuming you will have to apply again, which you may not need to as I think you should still have some hope for this cycle.

Hope exists but only realistically. I know where my deficiencies are for my application and hope to improve them.

I think this is a 2+ year plan. 1 to establish residency so that you can apply as an in-state student and another applying. I dont think you can just move there and the next day be able to apply as an instate student. Not sure this is a realistic strategy, but it is an interesting one that could work.

I would agree with finchy. Best advice is straight from the AdComs themselves. They know what they are looking for, more so than a bunch of interwebz folk.

Someone should sticky this thread. I don't know if OP is trolling us or not but he is the perfect example of what a predent should not do:

-Go through undergrad with a below 3.0 sgpa
-To recover, attend the easiest masters program one can find instead of attending a reputable and rigorous didactic-based special masters program.
-Not get one's arse in gear and perform well enough redeem oneself in said masters program.
-Assume that a high DAT score (achieved through 1-3 months of grinding) can compensate for years of poor academic performance.
-Overreach in choosing schools to apply to.

When there are students out there with better credentials who miss the cut in getting into dental school... when there are students who can't afford a second chance in doing a post-bacc or SMP... it's difficult to root for someone who stubbornly ignores advice and burns the bridges to dental school available to him.

OP-short of a proper SMP, a post-bacc at a four year institution would be your best bet towards improving your candidacy. IMHO, taking CC courses to bring your sgpa over 3.0 is just another nail on the coffin.

IMHO, taking CC courses to bring your sgpa over 3.0 is just another nail on the coffin.

:thumbup: Yep, any adcom will see right through this feeble attempt.

Someone should sticky this thread. I don't know if OP is trolling us or not but he is the perfect example of what a predent should not do:

-Go through undergrad with a below 3.0 sgpa
-To recover, attend the easiest masters program one can find instead of attending a reputable and rigorous didactic-based special masters program.
-Not get one's arse in gear and perform well enough redeem oneself in said masters program.
-Assume that a high DAT score (achieved through 1-3 months of grinding) can compensate for years of poor academic performance.
-Overreach in choosing schools to apply to.

When there are students out there with better credentials who miss the cut in getting into dental school... when there are students who can't afford a second chance in doing a post-bacc or SMP... it's difficult to root for someone who stubbornly ignores advice and burns the bridges to dental school available to him.

OP-short of a proper SMP, a post-bacc at a four year institution would be your best bet towards improving your candidacy. IMHO, taking CC courses to bring your sgpa over 3.0 is just another nail on the coffin.

I live 2 hours away from my undergraduate institution. Be realistic here please.

I doubt taking CC classes will be a "nail" in the coffin. Tons of people have them.

Not to mention, when did I overreach with my schools list? I asked you guys and I had a pretty good list. And how do you know my Master's program was the "easiest"? It wasn't. It's a post-bacc graduate program. And yeah, I had under 3.0 sgpa but so do lots of people on SDN. I had hoped to make up for this by getting a high DAT which I did.

What more do you want me to do? I'm already 45k in debt.

What more do you want me to do? I'm already 45k in debt.

2Pac, we have known each other a long time here on SDN. I honestly think you need to cut your losses and move on to something else.There is no sense in wasting more earning years and digging a deeper debt hole. Next September your DAT will be 2 years old and ready to expire, and can you take it a 4th time? Just cut your losses and move on to something that is just as noble and impactful as dentistry. I think you should seriously consider podiatry, pharmacy, or optometry.

I am not trying to say this to be a jerk, i honestly want you to make money, help people, and be happy. I just think you are grinding your gears at this point. Move on to greater things and be productive in the health field, just not dentistry. Best of luck brother!!!

Plenty of people have CC credits because they started there or maybe 1 or 2 science classes were impossible to get into at their University. I had to take a microbio class again with a lab since at my school unless you were a microbio major it virtually was impossible to get into the lab. Using CC to raise your GPA after graduating, post-bac and a Masters looks pretty bad

2Pac, we have known each other a long time here on SDN. I honestly think you need to cut your losses and move on to something else.There is no sense in wasting more earning years and digging a deeper debt hole. Next September your DAT will be 2 years old and ready to expire, and can you take it a 4th time? Just cut your losses and move on to something that is just as noble and impactful as dentistry. I think you should seriously consider podiatry, pharmacy, or optometry.

I am not trying to say this to be a jerk, i honestly want you to make money, help people, and be happy. I just think you are grinding your gears at this point. Move on to greater things and be productive in the health field, just not dentistry. Best of luck brother!!!

Gee, I haven't even been rejected at the 15 schools remaining and you're already telling me to move on?

Plenty of people have CC credits because they started there or maybe 1 or 2 science classes were impossible to get into at their University. I had to take a microbio class again with a lab since at my school unless you were a microbio major it virtually was impossible to get into the lab. Using CC to raise your GPA after graduating, post-bac and a Masters looks pretty bad

Listen man, I need to raise my science GPA. That is my #1 problem. If I could do it at my university where I received my bachelor's, I would, but I can't. I live away. The closest 4-year institution is about 1 hour away.

Financially and convenience-wise, I prefer to take CC classes.

It's funny, even before this entire cycle started, I had asked all you guys about my chances and y'all seemed so hopeful about my prospects, now you guys are all telling me to move on, get a new Master's, waste more money, and give up.

Whatever. :(

Gee, I haven't even been rejected at the 15 schools remaining and you're already telling me to move on?

Listen man, I need to raise my science GPA. That is my #1 problem. If I could do it at my university where I received my bachelor's, I would, but I can't. I live away. The closest 4-year institution is about 1 hour away.

It's funny, even before this entire cycle started, I had asked all you guys about my chances and y'all seemed so hopeful about my prospects, now you guys are all telling me to move on, get a new Master's, waste more money, and give up.

instead of asking us predents, who dont know anything (seriously-who the f are we?) GO to a dental school admissions counselor, and ASK THEM. they will tell u the truth as to what u should do to GET ACCEPTED. whether u want to hear what they have to say or not, is a different story. enough of these threads......

Yeah, I would call and make appointments with the dean of admissions. Some are really helpful, personally I talked to the UDM dean of admissions and he was one of the most helpful people. He told me what I needed to do to have a good chance of acceptance. Brian Hahn at Temple is also really helpful and will tell you honestly. A lot of places will make phone appointments for you too. I know Indiana and Michigan have in the past, not sure if they still do though.

Yeah, I would call and make appointments with the dean of admissions. Some are really helpful, personally I talked to the UDM dean of admissions and he was one of the most helpful people. He told me what I needed to do to have a good chance of acceptance. Brian Hahn at Temple is also really helpful and will tell you honestly. A lot of places will make phone appointments for you too. I know Indiana and Michigan have in the past, not sure if they still do though.

Okay thanks, I'll call them tomorrow.

don't take these threads too seriously..after all none of us are on the ad com nor are we in school yet :idea:

don't take these threads too seriously..after all none of us are on the ad com nor are we in school yet :idea:

2pac has received plenty of advice from people who are in dental school. He just has the uncanny ability to disregard every piece of good advice that was thrown his way.

I screwed up terribly when I was younger, and had a 2.4 gpa when I realized that I needed to turn my life around. I received good advice, took the lessons to heart, worked my ass off, and by the time I was done, had multiple acceptances, and am now a D2 at a great school. Thus, I get horribly frustrated when I see that 2pac simply doesn't get it.

Acceptance to dental school is not based on a series of booleans. 3.0 is not a limit number beyond which one finds the land of rainbows and unicorns.
If he calls an adcom, this is the question that will need to be answered: "what about this application leads you to believe that you deserve a spot over someone with better stats?" His DAT score? Sure that means he did well on one exam. What happened to the rest of them? And about the rest of the application, which is one long list of red flags? If he applies next year, and the answer to "what have you done since last cycle to better your application" is "I took 3 classes at a CC to make my GPA a 3.0", he will (deservedly) get laughed out of the building.
If you are a not traditional student, with history to overcome, you better damn well have momentum behind you. If you don't have 4 good years of undergrad under your belt, you better be riding a wave of 1-2 great years to make up for it and have the matching DAT to boot.

2pac, you're a good guy with a great ability to stay positive in the teeth of adversity, but you're denser than a rock. Thinking about you possibly being loose on a population of patients, one day, terrifies me. It's a good thing you applied to Western. When they send you the letter about their podiatry school, look at it long and hard. They love high DATs there.

Last edited:
2pac, you're a good guy with a great ability to stay positive in the teeth of adversity, but you're denser than a rock. Thinking about you possibly being loose on a population of patients, one day, terrifies me. It's a good thing you applied to Western. When they send you the letter about their podiatry school, look at it long and hard. They love high DATs there.

Podiatrists can do surgeries now. You're OK with him being unleashed on those poor diabetics' feet? :(