I didn't get into my top choice dental school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finneganmurphy

Reaction score
Hi guys, as you can see by the title, I did not get into my top choice dental school.

The school I will be attending is a nice school with nice people and I like my classmates so far , but I can't deny that I'm a little bitter.

I feel like sometimes SDN is full of people with top scores, successful stories who get into their top choice & I'm not one of them .

So I want to know from people who didn't get into their top choice as well. How are you handling it? Overall, I'm ecstatic that I will be a dentist someday and that I've achieved my short- term dream, just a little sad gorl hour

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys, as you can see by the title, I did not get into my top choice dental school.

The school I will be attending is a nice school with nice people and I like my classmates so far , but I can't deny that I'm a little bitter.

I feel like sometimes SDN is full of people with top scores, successful stories who get into their top choice & I'm not one of them .

So I want to know from people who didn't get into their top choice as well. How are you handling it? Overall, I'm ecstatic that I will be a dentist someday and that I've achieved my short- term dream, just a little sad gorl hour

I was in a similar situation. I had very high stats and was waitlisted at my top school, who was handing out acceptances to a lot of people with much lower stats than mine.
Honestly, I was pretty bitter about it for a few months. But looking back, my top school was only really my top because of location. Otherwise I didn’t even really enjoy my interview and have heard bad things about the school. The school I will be going to has a better “rep” and the staff is so much friendlier. I think it’s easy to see your top school with rose covered lenses but there are probably some bad things that you could think of to help you get over it. I’d pretty much trash talk (to myself) my top school and only speak good about the school i’m going to just for my mind to get used to it. Sounds silly but it worked. Also, just being grateful to go to school considering the majority of people don’t end up getting in!

If nothing else works, time will help you get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
There are thousands of people that didn't get a single offer and would kill to be in the position you're in. I don't think you'll be getting any pity points for this one

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are getting some pity points from me. I was in your shoes before. I had 3 top schools and on Dec 1st I didn’t get into any of them. I did get offers from 2 of my “bottom” choice schools and I was very unhappy about where I had to spend my next four years. One of the programs was too expensive and too far from home. The other program was one of the most expensive dental schools in the country. The reality of having to attend one of these programs didn’t settle in until Dec. 1st. While I was happy to be given the opportunity to become a dentist, I was stressed and sad with the prospects of having to attend one of those programs. I know how you feel and there is nothing wrong with feeling bitter about not getting into your top choice. While I did eventually get into 2 of my top programs off of the waitlist, the advice I can give to you is that you should make the best out of your situation. It’s hard have to go through not receiving an offer to your top choice school. Stay positive, destress, and find your niche within your program through organizations and everything will be okay. From going through the admissions process, I think it’s important that predental students are taught to only apply to schools that they truly see themselves happy at, because if not it could cause a lot of mixed emotions. Applying to a lot of dental schools just to receive an offer somewhere isn’t a good idea imo when applying to dental school.

What is the cost difference between the two schools?

I believe that your feelings are valid and you have the right to be sad if that’s where you are emotionally.

But at the end of the day, you have to look on the bright side of things. You’re going to be a dentist one day. There are a lot of people who didn’t get the chance to say that. And I believe that we end up where we’re meant to be and that there’s a greater plan we might not see initially.

Take the time you need to feel how you want to feel but don’t dwell on it. It worked out the way it was meant to.

Reactions: 4 users
I did not get into my 'top choice' in-state school either even though my stats were above their average. It's normal to feel a little bitter for a while..I remember thinking a lot about why that school rejected me even though I spent time networking with their admin and went to their events.I chose to attend a program thats far from home and more expensive..but it doesn't matter :) I have a grounded perspective and know I am in a position that thousands vie to be in. I urge you to recognize your position quickly so you are in the right mental state to conquer school and succeed.

Reactions: 1 user
No pity here either. The statistics of those who get in somewhere compared to those that don’t are significant. Many had the dream of becoming dentists. The majority of those who apply don’t make it. And it sucks bad. I’m sure the majority are going to see your post as somewhat selfish. You make due with where you go because you sold yourself enough at that interview where the adcom believed you would be a good fit. Do you think they just say, “We’re an average school and are looking for average people who don’t really care about going here but wanna get in somewhere.”? No. Every school has its strengths and was hoping those that applied were doing so for the benefit of taking advantage of those opportunities. If you don’t feel like you’re a good fit or wanted to go somewhere else, please do many of those who didn’t get in a favor and withdraw your seat. I got in to several places but feel bad about those that were rejected didn’t even get a second look. You need to think about what you want. If you’re not happy and don’t think you can make it work, give someone else a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it’s not really about pity. i find your comment a little a patronizing. it’s more about the reality of dental school applications. i’m not denying that i am in a better place than most. but there’s also the reality within applications, that people don’t get into their top choice. yeah it may be selfish, but it’s my reality & what i hoped to gain from this post is identifying with others who also are going through similar points. i’m not asking for anyone to make it okay.

lol just because other people have it worse doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to be disappointed. Don’t listen to these kids

Reactions: 11 users
I sympathize. I didn’t get into the undergrad school I wanted to and just spent four years at a backup. Farther from home, city sucked, program wasn’t as good, and nothing outdoorsy to do. It’s rough brother, but at the end of the day you can still make it work while having a good time.

lol just because other people have it worse doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to be disappointed. Don’t listen to these kids

bUt ThE cHiLdReN iN aFrIcA!

Reactions: 2 users
@finneganmurphy I can relate to the feeling. At the end of the day, you're going to be where you're meant to be and you have to make do with the resources and people you find yourself with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sympathize. I didn’t get into the undergrad school I wanted to and just spent four years at a backup.
I definitely feel you! I didn’t get in to my top choice for undergrad either, so I know the feeling. You’re feelings are 100% validated, I just wouldn’t put too much energy into them for too long. Let the emotions flow and then redirect to the positive when you can, if that makes sense.

Reactions: 2 users
I would trust that everything happens for a reason. Don’t let the idea of what that top choice would’ve been like haunt you, because honestly it would have disappointed you as some point too. It’s easy to expect great things from ourselves and from others, but the reality of it is we (and all others) fall short. In general, moving forward not only in dental school but in life, you just gotta make the most of what you’ve got. Good luck!

I'm still waiting on a school, but it's most likely I won't get into dental school this cycle and that's the end of the road for me. Just wanted to say that I relate to your disappointment and spent most of quarantine in bed, but the sadness will pass and we come out of it stronger. We just got to keep moving forward and even though I don't know you, I believe that you'll be overjoyed in 4 years to see that you turned out to be a pretty dope dentist regardless of the dental school you go to

Reactions: 6 users
I understand how you feel. I didn’t get into my first choice either. I’ll be starting my 3rd year of DS in June so here’s my 2 cents worth. In the long run in won’t matter if you’re in you top choice or not. Dental school as a whole sucks no matter if you got into you top choice or you last choice. It’s hard and very draining physically, emotionally, financially, spiritually, etc. There will be times you wish you weren’t there and you’ll question why you ever thought being a dentist was a good idea. However, those times will pass and you’ll pull through. Congratulations on getting in somewhere, and try not to feel too bad about your options.

There are thousands of people that didn't get a single offer and would kill to be in the position you're in. I don't think you'll be getting any pity points for this one

Psh. Lets hear the total debt amount. Then people might not wish this.

Psh. Lets hear the total debt amount. Then people might not wish this.
this is exactly why. like the thought of half a mill when i can barely manage a 1000 is too much for my heart

As long as you don’t try to live the super high lifestyle right out of school, you can structure your debt service and pay it off. This goes faster than you think.

You will do well at your school and will develop friendships that you will cherish.

Best of luck!

• Dislike
An applicant's top choice school is not necessarily the school's top choice applicant.