I cry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nutmegs

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... this sucks. UVA and Hopkins are 2 of my top 4 programs so far in life. I had the UVA interview scheduled for today, and Hopkins for next week. I called Monday to confirm and UVA said they had no record of me ever replying to their invited. I forwarded them the copy that was sitting in my outbox, they were very nice about it and said sorry but we're full that day, can you come the 19th? That's my day at Hopkins. Neither program has any other available days. UVA said they *might* get a cancellation but really don't have many interview days in January.

I talked to my mentor who knows my application and she suggested I tactfully try to contact the program director, as she thinks they would probably be pretty interested in helping me get an interview. It's going to have to be delicate though because it'll probably get screened through the person who oopsed with my reply. Any similar experiences or suggestions beyond "vodka and tonic"?

Members don't see this ad.

Suggestions? Sure, skip the tonic. If you have to have something in the vodka, toss in an olive.

Suggestions? Sure, skip the tonic. If you have to have something in the vodka, toss in an olive.

I usually just rinse the glass out with tonic, kind of like with vermouth in an ultra-dry martini :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would contact the program director personally by email and explain your situation. Include the reply that you sent and explain your dilemma. Most people are reasonable and they may be able to interview you on a day that is not one of their scheduled interview days. That would be the fair and reasonable thing to do. If you want, you can drop my name with him and tell him Gern said it was okay. Good luck. Sounds like a dilemma.

If it is that important of a program for you I wouldn't just let the opportunity slip by...I'd take whatever chance you had to take to get your interview...even if you had to go over someone's head and talk directly to the PD. What do you have to lose? Is the other option just not interviewing there? That's unacceptable ...so I wish you luck...go get 'em!

the other option was being waitlisted, for a grand total of 3 remaining interview dates, and she said that she has had less than the usual number of cancellations. I ended up being forced to decide before I could talk to the PD, so I decided to interview there and take my chances on the Hopkins waitlist. that's life.

she said that she has had less than the usual number of cancellations.

give it a couple of weeks; the burn-out is just beginning for most people, so i think your chances are great (for the hopkins list)! most people i've talked to on the trail are on the verge of round 2 cancellations (round 1 being schools you cancelled as soon as you scheduled). you've worked too hard to have to miss out on a great opportunity. good luck.

So... this sucks. UVA and Hopkins are 2 of my top 4 programs so far in life. I had the UVA interview scheduled for today, and Hopkins for next week. I called Monday to confirm and UVA said they had no record of me ever replying to their invited. I forwarded them the copy that was sitting in my outbox, they were very nice about it and said sorry but we're full that day, can you come the 19th? That's my day at Hopkins. Neither program has any other available days. UVA said they *might* get a cancellation but really don't have many interview days in January.

I talked to my mentor who knows my application and she suggested I tactfully try to contact the program director, as she thinks they would probably be pretty interested in helping me get an interview. It's going to have to be delicate though because it'll probably get screened through the person who oopsed with my reply. Any similar experiences or suggestions beyond "vodka and tonic"?

Did you contact the PD? I guess if I were in your situation, I would decide which interview was more important to me and go to that one. Then I'd cross my fingers on the others waitlist. I would expect that UVA would have more spots opening up than Hopkins, but that's purely speculation. Hope it all works out for you!

Did you contact the PD? I guess if I were in your situation, I would decide which interview was more important to me and go to that one. Then I'd cross my fingers on the others waitlist. I would expect that UVA would have more spots opening up than Hopkins, but that's purely speculation. Hope it all works out for you!

She was VERY firm about not being able to make an exception ("we all agreed" "we are already interviewing 4 more/day than usual") and after those comments a PD friend of mine said going to their PD would be suicide. I decided to take the UVA interview for several reasons:
a) it put the decision in my hands
b) I had a longer list of things I pre-interview liked about UVA, and one of the main things about hopkins was "well I can't cancel an interview at hopkins!!"
c) I had a feeling that if I ended up NOT getting a UVA interview, I would really regret the decision. I don't like regretting things
d) my ego heals reasonably fast
e) hopkins has more total interview dates in Jan, and I live 2 hours from there (ie, could come on next-day notice)

She was VERY firm about not being able to make an exception ("we all agreed" "we are already interviewing 4 more/day than usual") and after those comments a PD friend of mine said going to their PD would be suicide. I decided to take the UVA interview for several reasons:
a) it put the decision in my hands
b) I had a longer list of things I pre-interview liked about UVA, and one of the main things about hopkins was "well I can't cancel an interview at hopkins!!"
c) I had a feeling that if I ended up NOT getting a UVA interview, I would really regret the decision. I don't like regretting things
d) my ego heals reasonably fast
e) hopkins has more total interview dates in Jan, and I live 2 hours from there (ie, could come on next-day notice)

Good choice in my opinion. UVA is a great program and a lot of people absolutely love Charlottesville. I would think that many applicants will keep their Hopkins appointment due to reason B on your list. Hopefully something opens up for you. Unless you're looking for a NYC, Boston, LA type place, I'm sure you'll enjoy your UVA visit.

Why not ask your dean to call the program director and have him/her call Hopkin's program director. That's what the dean is supposed to do, go to bat for their students. You can tell your dean everything you've told us. I'm sure he'll/she'll understand. And the Hopkins program director will definitely take a call from the dean of a med school if not from you.

Why not ask your dean to call the program director and have him/her call Hopkin's program director. That's what the dean is supposed to do, go to bat for their students. You can tell your dean everything you've told us. I'm sure he'll/she'll understand. And the Hopkins program director will definitely take a call from the dean of a med school if not from you.

the PD i talked to said at this point circumventing the coordinator would be a bad plan. I'm not the kind of person to have a dean "go to bat" for me. you can take away my SDN membership now :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry but you sound like a fool. Or your mentor is one. Somehow the "coordinator" has gotten more important than the program director. More likely you are not interested in Hopkins.

If you end up interviewing at Hopkins, you might or might not get in. And if you don't interview at Hopkins, you'll never get in. At the end of the day, if you've got enough interviews, you can let this one go. But if you don't, then I'd suggest making an appointment with your dean first thing monday am. And if you're really not keen on Hopkins, than that makes the whole discussion moot.

I am sorry but the coordinator is an absolute idiot. If your proof (outgoing email) is reliable then the coordinator screwed up. However, if I were you, I would have secured some kind of confirmation, but what can you do now?

Any PD worth a nickel would jump through hoops to get you an interview on another day that was suitable to your schedule. I don't know why the person counseling you is hesitant to have you go around the *****ic coordinator. The coordinator doesn't want the PD to know what happened because it was her mistake. I would try and obtain the PD's email from the website or through the administrative anesthesia office (not residency office). Just say this is Dr so and so and I need to send correspondence.

It all sounds moot at this point because you made your decision. I just don't know why folks are so worried about possibly offending a coordinator who probably sucks at their job.
:mad:

Is "coordinator" code for "secretary"?

Part of their job consists of secretarial duties, but they are much more than that. They are people you really want to be nice to because they can really help you out a lot. They are the ones who help make the residency run smoothly.

Is "coordinator" code for "secretary"?

Actually, "secretary" fell out of style a decade ago. "Assistant" is now preferred.

The coordinator often has some role in screening the apps that reach the PD. Clearly they have a role in scheduling the invites. You would be ill-advised to refer to them as secretaries on your interview day. They will be the one responsible for inputting the ROL for the program. Seriously, this is the wrong person to mess with, unfortunately. And although it sounds like a good idea to send the email directly to the PD, their email is also often filtered by the coordinator.

...I can vouch for the fact that she seems quite inflexible and perhaps a little disorganized. Also, I would not be surprised if the screw-up was at her end. Unfortunately, as many have said, it pays to be nice to this person and may hurt you if you are not nice to this person. Still, it seems that if this person is the "face" or "voice" of your program that you would want someone who really shines on the phone and tries to take care of your applicants - something this person really does NOT do.

P

There is even a chance that she is reading this thread as it develops. Seriously though, nutmegs, if you are worried about ticking her off, I wouldn't. If you do nothing, you probably wallow on the waitlist and never get an interview. If you try, the worst that can happen is that you piss her off and you don't get an interview. My guess is that the program director is reasonable and that they would be accommodating to your desire to interview at their program. Since they thought you were worthy of an initial invite, I would bet that they would have at least some interest in interviewing you. If not, then that is their loss. But at least you will have addressed the issue and you will know an answer. If this is something that is occurring frequently, perhaps the PD would want to know that the person who is the "first contact" and is representing their department is treating candidates in this fashion. It may not help you, but could help those who come after.
My guess is that this was an honest mistake that could be dealt with in a very reasonable way. You have to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. Give the PD an email and just be honest but not mean spirited towards anyone. What have you got to lose?
As it sounds, however, you have taken the UVA interview on a different date. If that is the case and you have already turned down JHU, this may be a moot issue since they have probably already filled your spot with someone else. Best of luck in the process and keep your chin up.

Had I had more time to do all this, I probably would have gone to the PD. As it was, I sought- on several hours notice- the input of several people I have a lot of faith in (sorry, internet, that you think I'm a "fool"- it truly breaks my heart). Part of it definitely was my fault for overlooking the fact that I'd received a confirmation from every program but this one. Part of it was hers for not getting my reply, but I trust my instincts when it comes to knowing how far to push various issues. It's gotten me reasonably far in life, and I don't think it will be destroying my career at this point. It came down to picking between UVA and Hopkins before interviewing at either. It is unlikely I will get a Hopkins reschedule, but I can live with that. I did think about the "this might be happening to other people" and if there is a tactful way to go about it, I will let someone know tomorrow. I did have the PD's direct email in my possession, but made the decision to request communcation with him through her. Being on the admissions committee at my med school, I know what (for better or worse) her role is. Thanks for everyone's input.

I, for one, do not think you are a fool. I only point out that there were other options. I am sure you made the right choice for yourself. Good luck to you.