This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strivingpanda

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im am currently am a junior in college and I have had MANY bad grades in my science classes. I recently transferred to a different school and thought I would be better since I have learned from my mistakes of studying in the past. However, I just looked at my microbiology grade and got another C. I studied very hard and felt I knew the material better because I helped other class mates who received higher grades. The choices on the exam were so confusing, the choices would be A, B, AB, all of the above, then none of the above. Besides the point, I haven't done so well compared to what I should. and am considering a postbac or a masters and applying as a non traditional student. I don't know what to do.
A little background: I am the first in my family to go to college and have no help from others, advisors often say you can find everything on the internet but the thing is where am I supposed to start. Due to financial issues, I used to work 2 jobs freshmen and sophomore year. But this year, I cut down to 1 job but so 20-25 hours between the weekends because working 2 jobs is stressful. An random bits and bops: I am President of AMSA in college, have been a member of Student government for 2 years, I used to work for a nonprofit by mentoring high school/ middle school students to get into college (help with everything i learned over the years), Volunteered in soup kitchens and blood drives. This winter break will be volunteering in a free clinic and also in the process of working with Americorp. Now to my grades(science,math, physics):
CHEM 1: C+
CHEM 2: B
Orgo 1: A-
Biology 1: B+
Biology 2: B+
Genetics: C
Microbiology: C
Physics 1: A
Physics 2: B+
Calculus 1: A-
Calculus 2: B-​
So now with these grade. What should I look into. Anyone have recommendations, for extracurricular in NYC, postbac, masters? I don't plan on taking mcats until after I graduate (May 2018). I have gradually started studying but not intensively until I graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you please post your cGPA and sGPA? Have you taken the MCAT? State of residence? URM?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

You should visit your school's learning or education center to get help with learning styles, test taking strategies, etc.

Im am currently am a junior in college and I have had MANY bad grades in my science classes. I recently transferred to a different school and thought I would be better since I have learned from my mistakes of studying in the past. However, I just looked at my microbiology grade and got another C. I studied very hard and felt I knew the material better because I helped other class mates who received higher grades. The choices on the exam were so confusing, the choices would be A, B, AB, all of the above, then none of the above. Besides the point, I haven't done so well compared to what I should. and am considering a postbac or a masters and applying as a non traditional student. I don't know what to do.
A little background: I am the first in my family to go to college and have no help from others, advisors often say you can find everything on the internet but the thing is where am I supposed to start. Due to financial issues, I used to work 2 jobs freshmen and sophomore year. But this year, I cut down to 1 job but so 20-25 hours between the weekends because working 2 jobs is stressful. An random bits and bops: I am President of AMSA in college, have been a member of Student government for 2 years, I used to work for a nonprofit by mentoring high school/ middle school students to get into college (help with everything i learned over the years), Volunteered in soup kitchens and blood drives. This winter break will be volunteering in a free clinic and also in the process of working with Americorp. Now to my grades(science,math, physics):
CHEM 1: C+
CHEM 2: B
Orgo 1: A-
Biology 1: B+
Biology 2: B+
Genetics: C
Microbiology: C
Physics 1: A
Physics 2: B+
Calculus 1: A-
Calculus 2: B-​
So now with these grade. What should I look into. Anyone have recommendations, for extracurricular in NYC, postbac, masters? I don't plan on taking mcats until after I graduate (May 2018). I have gradually started studying but not intensively until I graduate.

Could you please post your cGPA and sGPA? Have you taken the MCAT? State of residence? URM?
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

As of now my sGPa is a 3.0 while my cGPA is a 3.2. I haven't taken the mcats yet. I plan to start studying for mcats after taking biochemistry next semester and finishing Orgo so maybe this summer or even after I graduate. I am currently from NY and I don't think I qualify for URM but I do qualify under SES. I am Pakistani.