I can't get a job!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tons of jobs at this site

http://www.doctorschoiceplacement.com/Listings.asp?Specialty=All&State=All&Region=All&Submit=Search

Talk about a long list of open positions. Is there a pathology position on there? Nope!! No jobs in pathology.

I looked at this site - there are several jobs for CRNAs. Maybe there is a need for a school that can fast track unemployed pathologists to be CRNAs. I think they make a good living AND they are apparently in demand. Maybe a one year path-to-CRNA training course for already licensed pathologists would be enough. Think of the convenience for the surgeons - the path/CRNA could put the patient under, sit there monitoring the gas and vitals; then, when needed, the path/CRNA could look at the frozen! One-stop shopping for the surgeon, and an increased skill set for pathologists into an area that is in need. Personally, I can only see myself doing path, otherwise I might seriously look into this.

Members don't see this ad.

The VA can be picky about what pathologist they hire.....the VA can't be picky about any other type of doctor they hire.

Too many pathologists.....they are a dime a dozen. Clinicians will continue to use us because they can.

I don't know if the VA is that picky (at least not the one in Martinsburg, WV). Here's a list of duties that I was sent by a recruiter recently:

DUTIES:
-anatomic pathology (autopsy, surgical & cytology
-clinical pathology (microbiology, serology,
chemistry, hematology & blood banking)
-read images on diagnostic workstations, verify
and correct reports via computer
-knowledge of windows based programs
-possess basic proficiency in spoken and written
English
-participate in quality mgmt and utilization
review activities, attend clinical conferences for
staff, med staff and service-level mtgs as
specified by service chief

As long as you can do the pathology-related work, they don't care if you barely speak English. I'm not sure if WV is one of those areas where you'd be able to get away w/ not speaking English.

----- Antony

You may be interested to know that Sante Consulting emailed me about a job opening in the northeast that requires blood banking. If you are interested you should call them and get in touch with Clark Meyers.

Edit: In addition, there is a partnership job listed with Merritt Hawkins in the southeast with cytology preference.

Thanks for the heads up. If one of those works out, I should definitely pay you a commission. For what it's worth, I'm looking into a couple of unlisted positions via faculty connections right now. Hopefully, one of these will work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is amazing to me how many pathology positions are unlisted - good luck. Academic jobs often have to be listed as it is an institutional requirement. But private jobs do not have to be.

It is amazing to me how many pathology positions are unlisted - good luck. Academic jobs often have to be listed as it is an institutional requirement. But private jobs do not have to be.

Is the best way to find unlisted positions to cold call?

Thanks, lipomas. We'll see how it goes. I'll definitely post my experiences with job interviews and specs once I actually have some.

I definitely tried this after exhausting the posted ads and the first round of attendings. I especially tried calling and emailing multiple groups in the same area when I was still hoping for a certain geography. It seems as though nobody really pays attention to you unless they know somebody that knows you or you know somebody that knows them. One of the opportunities I'm looking into now is someone an attending recommended I cold call. I got a very favorable response once the group figured out I was being referred. Even though they don't have an opening right now, the head guy there said they might find something for me to do this summer until a "real" position opens up.

I looked at this site - there are several jobs for CRNAs. Maybe there is a need for a school that can fast track unemployed pathologists to be CRNAs. I think they make a good living AND they are apparently in demand. Maybe a one year path-to-CRNA training course for already licensed pathologists would be enough. Think of the convenience for the surgeons - the path/CRNA could put the patient under, sit there monitoring the gas and vitals; then, when needed, the path/CRNA could look at the frozen! One-stop shopping for the surgeon, and an increased skill set for pathologists into an area that is in need. Personally, I can only see myself doing path, otherwise I might seriously look into this.

:uhno:

The job market will probably continue to sink as long as prices continue to drop and productivity increases.

The best way is to know someone in the group, or someone who knows someone in the group. I remember hearing about quite a few jobs through the grapevine when I was in residency that I couldn't find listed anywhere online or in journals. Groups know that publicizing a listing can sometimes lead to dozens of CVs that may be misleading, not worth considering, or even full of lies. I am not so hot on cold calling but others like it. I'm more of a fan of targeted or informed cold calling - like when an attending who respects you tells them to expect your call or something, or you call an associate and they refer you to the chairman. If there is a place that you want to work it doesn't hurt to ask an attending to ask their friend if there might be an opening for you. There are limits to how successful this can be, obviously, but it can work.

The best way is to know someone in the group, or someone who knows someone in the group. I remember hearing about quite a few jobs through the grapevine when I was in residency that I couldn't find listed anywhere online or in journals. Groups know that publicizing a listing can sometimes lead to dozens of CVs that may be misleading, not worth considering, or even full of lies. I am not so hot on cold calling but others like it. I'm more of a fan of targeted or informed cold calling - like when an attending who respects you tells them to expect your call or something, or you call an associate and they refer you to the chairman. If there is a place that you want to work it doesn't hurt to ask an attending to ask their friend if there might be an opening for you. There are limits to how successful this can be, obviously, but it can work.

Seconded - although this won't work for everyone. It's better if you are at a well known program where the attendings have contacts in both academia and private practice. Some academics don't know many private practice paths at all, whereas others have extensive contacts. This is also why you should always be "on your game" during residency training because you never quite know who you are going to impress.

Seems like I am not the only one who can't get a job despite having fellowships. Where do all these mean-spirited critics come from?

Thanks for the nice reply the few of you who left me helpful messages. I guess I was looking for some help and direction. This is ridiculous that you can't find a good job in a field of medicine these days. Sure I feel entitled to one. I have excelled through 10 years of training AFTER college and passed all qualifications to get a job. I came from the ground up from humble beginnings. I have no connections and certainly had no silver spoon in my mouth like some of you people seem to think.

None of my friends in other medical fields can believe this! They are all working hard, living the dream, serving the people!

Not sure why this needs to be a separate thread.

Mods, can this be merged into the previous thread started by the OP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like I am not the only one who can't get a job despite having fellowships. Where do all these mean-spirited critics come from?

Thanks for the nice reply the few of you who left me helpful messages. I guess I was looking for some help and direction. This is ridiculous that you can't find a good job in a field of medicine these days. Sure I feel entitled to one. I have excelled through 10 years of training AFTER college and passed all qualifications to get a job. I came from the ground up from humble beginnings. I have no connections and certainly had no silver spoon in my mouth like some of you people seem to think.

None of my friends in other medical fields can believe this! They are all working hard, living the dream, serving the people!

Believe me, you are not the only one w/out a job. There are many fellows out there still without an offer, some even without single interview, hoping for miracle, denying the obvious (what a powerful self-defense mechanism denial is), blaming Obama, blaming CAP, who ever; but interestingly never blaming themselves for making a wrong decision when choosing residency; all this job market crisis in pathology is nothing new; just go and google it (pathologist oversupply, pathology job market, etc) and you’ll see that problem goes on and on for literally decades; finding a job in this sad busyness of ours is circumstantial; this forum is not going to change much; I wish I was warned 5 years back; but I wasn’t; at that time people were painting this unrealistic picture about, can you believe it, shortage of pathologists; and it is so sad to see this year residency candidates coming for interviews without having a clue about tragic job market in pathology; I can only say I wish I had a chance to read postings like yours five years ago, but I didn’t and now is time to pay a price for uninformed and wrong choices I made.

Ultimately we are to blame for going into this field. Would have been nice if program directors, residents, attendings would have been or would be currently more honest about the job market. What program director is going to say you can be unemployed after training here? None. The job market in pathology is horrible. Med students, be smart and stay away.

I still now a lot of unemployed fellows (and of course every resident also).

Great idea!!!! Another fellowship! That is right up pathology's current thinking! Pathologists already practice as pas we might as well break into the nursing market also. You got pathology leadership written all over you with ideas like this. Increase residency spots, we are going to be nurses!!

I can only say I wish I had a chance to read postings like yours five years ago, but I didn’t and now is time to pay a price for uninformed and wrong choices I made.

I have been on this site under one screen name or another for 5 years. If the board looked like this 4 or 5 years ago I would likely have chosen a different residency. I don't know if the job market now is worse than 5 years ago, but the posts have never been this bad. Back then it was not like this. Great Pumpkin had many job search posts (use the search to find them, interesting to compare with current posts) and he was able to get a partnership track position without a fellowship. Maybe fewer people knew about the site back then so there were just fewer posts altogether, I don't know.

I have been following job postings on the major websites, listservs and postings that come through our program for the past year or so to get an idea of what is out there. There is no way that these resources can account for a job for every graduating pathology resident, maybe less than half in reality. If these are the only resources that a person is using I can see how things might be real tough. What other resources are there though? I'm not sure what else you can do. Cold call maybe.

I have been on this site under one screen name or another for 5 years. If the board looked like this 4 or 5 years ago I would likely have chosen a different residency. I don't know if the job market now is worse than 5 years ago, but the posts have never been this bad. Back then it was not like this. Great Pumpkin had many job search posts (use the search to find them, interesting to compare with current posts) and he was able to get a partnership track position without a fellowship. Maybe fewer people knew about the site back then so there were just fewer posts altogether, I don't know.

The PD I had emailed a few weeks ago had told me that the market is tighter now than it was 5 years ago. Of course, 5 years ago was before the economy took a nosedive and before Obama's health care reform was looming potential reality, both of which likely contribute to the current job situation.

We currently have a pathology job market holocaust. Unfortunately we still have a number of holocaust deniers in pathology.

Last edited:
Ultimately we are to blame for going into this field.

Yes! The job market hasn't significantly changed in years. A little self-education about the pathology job market may have dissuaded many of us from entering this field.

Regardless of the info we did or did not receive, I think we all have a responsibility to be honest with medical students about how difficult the job market is and that there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh give me a break! EIther you are employed or you are not.

I knew when I picked pathology that I could make 2-3X as much in radiology or derm or optho or ortho but I went into pathology because I loved it, and those of that love it will always have great jobs, but that being said, I agree that things have changed since I started training. When I started I sort of assumed that the govt or somebody would eliminate insourcing of pathology, but instead it has gotten more prevalent.

I do agree that pathology slots should not be increased and should be decreased but understand that the latter will not happen as no program would be willing to give up resident spots.

Telling a medical student that the pathology job market isn't great is rather useless. Many choose to deny it, or reason that it wont apply to them. For IMGs its still a job, with benefits for at least 4 years. PDs still have pressure to fill, and keep funding. There's no consequence for graduating fellows and residents who do not gain employment as a pathologist. I cant see too much changing.
But aside from switching specialties, what are the options? Publish papers, go to meetings, network and hope for the best?? Maybe think about a post-residency non-medical career? Im really not sure.

I think several factors are currently affecting the job market. There is the obvious overall decrease in the economy which will prevent senior pathologists from retiring. I think the fact that so much is still unknown about the future of Obamacare is also a factor, albeit smaller. And lastly, and IMO most importantly, we are only now beginning to feel the effects of the 5 to 4 year switch since the larger classes that started entering residency programs when the switch was made are only now hitting the job market. And this is what will truly cause the most long term problems since this 25% increase in the number of graduates is a continuous thing and will occur year after year after year.

We currently have a pathology job market holocaust. Unfortunately we still have a number of holocaust deniers like ...

This is a totally reprehensible comment and I recommend you delete it. Equating the situation to Nazi horrors is not only internet forum FAILURE (Godwin's law) but weakens your argument. You are going to get nowhere (which I regret, since you have made some good points) by making these outrageous claims and by slandering individuals who are trying to do the best for their field. Have you ever talked to any of them about this issue? Or does your main contact with them consist of slandering them on forums and possibly sending them anonymous hate letters?

If you have such convincing evidence that should sway them, then publish it. Write a professional letter. Get a petition together. But you really, really need to cease and desist with the inflammatory language and anonymous attacks. If you have any respect for the field of pathology AT ALL you will take my advice. As far as people on this forum, I don't get it. If people post their own experiences about how they personally did not have significant trouble finding a job, it does not make them deniers. We all can see from our own experience that the path job market is weak, and not like many other fields. But when you claim that those who have had good experiences are being naive and their opinions are not valid it ruins any chance you have of getting help from those whose help you need! Do you not see this?

Unfortunately, it seems your only real argument consists of anonymous, hateful language and criticizing anyone and everyone who does not completely fall into line with your position. This is a shame. The job market needs help. It needs leadership. What it does not need is pathetic individuals hiding behind internet anonymity, and continuing to complain loudly and obnoxiously enough in the hopes that someone else might do their work for them. Can you really, truly not see how counterproductive this is? Or perhaps your goal is to perpetuate the situtation - given your post about your group hiring low-paid associates to do your grunt work for you perhaps that is your goal.

Telling a medical student that the pathology job market isn't great is rather useless. Many choose to deny it, or reason that it wont apply to them. For IMGs its still a job, with benefits for at least 4 years. PDs still have pressure to fill, and keep funding. There's no consequence for graduating fellows and residents who do not gain employment as a pathologist. I cant see too much changing.
But aside from switching specialties, what are the options? Publish papers, go to meetings, network and hope for the best?? Maybe think about a post-residency non-medical career? Im really not sure.

I think medical students can protect themselves by asking PDs for a list of recent alumni and their current positions. It does not take long before this information is required to recruit good applicants and that will change a strong academic program's perspective. If their alumni's failure to secure employment leads to a decline in their match of desirable applicants, then I am fairly certain they will focus on this issue.

Don't over-inflate the value of residents, sure there is a subsidy (which most departments do not directly benefit from), but for much of their training residents are slow, inefficient and make mistakes, many good academic centers could trim their number of trainees without impacting quality or their bottom line.

Also, many of the IMG spots will go away as this wave of new medical students (something like a 20% increase) enters the match with no increase in GME funded spots across the board.

Some poster asked about writing letters:
Here are letters from 5 years ago.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9209735&postcount=23
Here are some data from 10 years ago.
http://philgmh.tripod.com/CIPJM.html
The major physician recruiting websites all currently show a paucity of advertised positions in pathology in comparison to other medical specialties.

The problematic job market is plain to see for anyone with half a brain IMO and it has been for a long time.
Every single pathologist in my group will state that the path job market sucks.
I believe it is despicable that some pathology leaders will not publicly acknowledge the problem.
We have people who have done 2+ fellowships who do not have jobs - is this not a tragedy?
Even Dr. Crawford's (IMO flawed) presentation showed 500 yearly graduates competing for 400 yearly total jobs (see page 16 http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/pathology_residents/Crawford_2007_Pathology_Job_Recruitment.pdf )
I think that perhaps every unemployed pathologist should be contacting those trying to put a positive spin on the job market and ask them to personally help them get jobs.

I am not personally responsible for the pathologist glut which allows groups to hire new patholgists for peanuts. If the glut was fixed the salaries of starting pathologists would certainly improve.

Last edited:
Some poster asked about writing letters:
Here are letters from 5 years ago.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9209735&postcount=23
Here are some data from 10 years ago.
http://philgmh.tripod.com/CIPJM.html
The major physician recruiting websites all currently show a paucity of advertised positions in pathology in comparison to other medical specialties.

The problematic job market is plain to see for anyone with half a brain IMO and it has been for a long time.
Every single pathologist in my group will state that the path job market sucks.
I believe it is despicable that some pathology leaders will not publicly acknowledge the problem.
We have people who have done 2+ fellowships who do not have jobs - is this not a tragedy?
Even Dr. Crawford's (IMO flawed) presentation showed 500 yearly graduates competing for 400 yearly total jobs (see page 16 http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/pathology_residents/Crawford_2007_Pathology_Job_Recruitment.pdf )
I think that perhaps every unemployed pathologist should be contacting those trying to put a positive spin on the job market and ask them to personally help them get jobs.

I'm not sure if you read Yaah's post completely - he's agreeing with you:

We all can see from our own experience that the path job market is weak, and not like many other fields.

The point of his post (and many, many repeated posts) is that such inflammatory and counterproductive internet postings are pointless at best, and possibly even detrimental to the field.

It even serves to weaken your own points, by confirming that personal/professional characteristics rather than market forces are to blame for unemployment or underemployment.

You guys are truly, beating a dead horse by continually arguing the suboptimal (or whatever graded adjective you want to use) job market.
The opposing point of view and arguments are only to temper such nonsensical descriptors like "terrible", or posts like "I can't get ANY jobs".

It seems that unless pathologists work 9-5, M-F, make $300K/yr without any fellowships, and can work in any city of their choice while wearing their pajamas to work, you guys will continue to argue a "terrible" market.

Fair enough. The letters that have been linked to are fine examples of professional criticisms of the matter. I generally support a lot of what is said in them. To make any progress, more of those letters (with their eloquence and professionalism) is needed. But so is more data. The strategy on this forum hurts the impact of those letters because it associates them with the shenanigans that we see here. And the strategy of completely minimizing any positive factors or positive stories also hurts the impact, because it basically excludes anyone who isn't quite as extreme from supporting your opinion. To make change and spread information, you need moderate opinions and mixed opinions, not just the militant ones. You also need data as well as the acknowledgement that other opinions have validity (when applicable - and if not, why they don't have validity). Using holocaust metaphors, slandering prominent pathologists, and telling someone they are wrong without refuting their points with real data or logic is not going to make any progress and will bring things backward.

Take someone like me, for example. I had a pretty good experience with the job market. I got a few offers as well as other chances to interview. I trained at a good program and worked hard. But I know of others who worked hard who did not have as much success as I did in the job search. Some ended up ok in the end, some got a job but not one they really wanted. I do not think the status of the job market in pathology is appropriate. Now, repeatedly on this forum you have dismissed my opinions as irrelevant, out of touch, etc, completely ignoring the fact that not only are my opinions based solely on real experience but that I agree the job market is not good and action of some sort is likely needed. If you come at this problem with a tone that includes compromise and acknowledgement of other opinion and experience, you would have me and others like me on board. But instead you marginalize my opinion, if not outright attack me for not falling lockstep in with your opinion. And you jump to make everything that remotely fits your narrative fit it, while ignoring things that don't as irrelevant. So you lose my support for anything you want to suggest. I know strident speech and such appeals to some, but it doesn't appeal to most people. It turns them off.

I think medical students can protect themselves by asking PDs for a list of recent alumni and their current positions. It does not take long before this information is required to recruit good applicants and that will change a strong academic program's perspective. If their alumni's failure to secure employment leads to a decline in their match of desirable applicants, then I am fairly certain they will focus on this issue.

Don't over-inflate the value of residents, sure there is a subsidy (which most departments do not directly benefit from), but for much of their training residents are slow, inefficient and make mistakes, many good academic centers could trim their number of trainees without impacting quality or their bottom line.

Also, many of the IMG spots will go away as this wave of new medical students (something like a 20% increase) enters the match with no increase in GME funded spots across the board.

I think things would need to get really bad before programs would really try to change the job market to get better applicants. Im not sure the few academic institutions that would care, even could do anything about it.

I agree that path residents arent really that valuable to a department, save for the subsidy, which often the department doesnt really benefit from. That may be part of the problem; if a program director decided to take less residents, they would likely be accountable to the hospital admin and need to explain the decreased subsidy.

Theres a few programs out there, that I couldn't imagine selecting american grads. It will be interesting to see if more US grads = more US grads in path residents. I wonder if more defaults on student loans would bring the overtraining of pathologists to anyone's attention.

I wonder if more defaults on student loans would bring the overtraining of pathologists to anyone's attention.

I suspect student loans are going to be a massive problem in the future - not just for pathology. Physician salaries are continuing to stagnate or decline and loans are continuing to go up. There are some interesting threads in the general residency forum about this topic. Ultimately something is going to have to be done, and I suspect what will be done will NOT be raising physician salaries or reducing med school tuition! The government will probably start programs akin to what some states do, offering tuition/loan forgiveness in return for working in underserved areas or in primary care. This may make becoming a specialist only for those who can afford to get there or for those who can get enough scholarship money.

I suspect defaulting on loans is not going to add much to bringing the pathology job market specifically into the spotlight. Graduates who can't find work are much more understandable and immediate, but it's hard to say what the true numbers have to be to reach critical mass.

Fair enough. The letters that have been linked to are fine examples of professional criticisms of the matter. I generally support a lot of what is said in them. To make any progress, more of those letters (with their eloquence and professionalism) is needed. But so is more data. The strategy on this forum hurts the impact of those letters because it associates them with the shenanigans that we see here. And the strategy of completely minimizing any positive factors or positive stories also hurts the impact, because it basically excludes anyone who isn't quite as extreme from supporting your opinion. To make change and spread information, you need moderate opinions and mixed opinions, not just the militant ones. You also need data as well as the acknowledgement that other opinions have validity (when applicable - and if not, why they don't have validity). Using holocaust metaphors, slandering prominent pathologists, and telling someone they are wrong without refuting their points with real data or logic is not going to make any progress and will bring things backward.

Take someone like me, for example. I had a pretty good experience with the job market. I got a few offers as well as other chances to interview. I trained at a good program and worked hard. But I know of others who worked hard who did not have as much success as I did in the job search. Some ended up ok in the end, some got a job but not one they really wanted. I do not think the status of the job market in pathology is appropriate. Now, repeatedly on this forum you have dismissed my opinions as irrelevant, out of touch, etc, completely ignoring the fact that not only are my opinions based solely on real experience but that I agree the job market is not good and action of some sort is likely needed. If you come at this problem with a tone that includes compromise and acknowledgement of other opinion and experience, you would have me and others like me on board. But instead you marginalize my opinion, if not outright attack me for not falling lockstep in with your opinion. And you jump to make everything that remotely fits your narrative fit it, while ignoring things that don't as irrelevant. So you lose my support for anything you want to suggest. I know strident speech and such appeals to some, but it doesn't appeal to most people. It turns them off.

:clap: Well said.

I think some people who post regularly on this forum need to get past their puzzling desire to initimidate as well as silence those who agree with them, but just don't agree with them 100%. I'm not sure whether it's immaturity, ego, or just lack of common sense. It's like a tea party convention sometimes. The job market affects us all, and affects those who are still in training even more. Unfortunately this continues to get lost in the rhetoric of whether this is A) The worst thing to ever happen, similar to the Holocaust and 9/11 combined; B) A bad situation which deserves more thought and action but is not as dire for everyone as it is for some; or C) Job market is weak, mostly in private practice, but still ok for most people - not an acceptable situation but hard to act on.

It's like if you don't agree that the job market description is best described as (A) you are a traitor and a naive opportunist. That's pathetic. If these posters have nothing better to add than that they should take their unhelpful attitude and go bother someone else. I'm tired of arguing with people who I should be agreeing with.

I made it a point to ask every PD I met with on the interveiw trail where their graduates ended up for fellowships and later for job positions. A few programs were very honest, and even provided candidates with a complete list of both from the past few years. Unfortunately, many programs only offered information about where grads went for fellowship. Some PDs were even less specific and would say something like "our recent grads have gone to well respected places like X, Y, and Z for fellowships."

When I got these unhelpful, generic answers, it was very difficult to tell if PDs were deliberately being evasive because they had something to hide, or if they didn't keep track/didn't know off the top of their heads where everyone went, or if they just didn't think it was something of sufficient importance to list off. I should also note that I got these generic types of answers from both smaller safety programs and from larger, well-respected academic programs.

I would also try to ask residents about where their previous classmates ended up, or current fellows if they had gotten any job offers yet. Unfortunately, if grads went elsewhere for fellowship, it didn't seem like many current residents knew the status of their job searches/successes.

The fellows that I met and discussed jobs with from doing med student electives and interviewing:
Cyto - was getting job interview offers way back in August
Cyto - went to work as attending at program where fellowship was done
Informatics - couldn't find a desirable job, so had gotten a sort of fellowship extension (?), then was going to take a rather crappy sort of filling-in position at the most undesirable hospital in the system
Surg Path - going to do GI fellowship next year
Heme - going to do molecular fellowship next year

When I got these unhelpful, generic answers, it was very difficult to tell if PDs were deliberately being evasive because they had something to hide, or if they didn't keep track/didn't know off the top of their heads where everyone went, or if they just didn't think it was something of sufficient importance to list off. I should also note that I got these generic types of answers from both smaller safety programs and from larger, well-respected academic programs.

Yeah, this is always an issue. Programs usually stay in touch with their fellows but not constant contact. So often they just don't know about the fellow job status. I always thought PDs should make it a point to keep track of their former residents and what they are doing, but that can be a difficult job since some people change locations and addresses so frequently immediately after training.

So I am a 2nd year fellow who can't get a job. Should I do a 3rd fellowship in Cytology (try to jump in at a spot somewhere) or try to work in another field (retail/grocery store) while I try to get a job with my first two fellowships (Surg Path and Blood Bank)?

Keep in mind, I have huge loans to pay off that I could potentially defer longer if I get another fellowship.

But if I get another fellowship, I have to move my family again and take out even more loans to move and pay living expenses (my kids need new clothes/toys/etc.).

Any advice out there?

Wow. I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Surely there has to be some pathology group, somewhere in America that needs a fellowship trained surgical pathologist with BB skills. Somewhere out there.

I have heard that BB is in high demand and blood centers are desperate for medical directors. I guess that info was wrong.

This board is depressing.

I am really sorry to hear this, unfortunately I know of others in your exact situation. Sadly, I would say that you should do yet another fellowship. If you love path stick with it. If you are losing heart, consider another residency, your GME office at your place of path residency should understand they cannot turn out residents that have no prospects for employment. Good luck.

Not sure cyto would help. I know of a couple unemployed cytofellows. I doubt a year from now the job market will be any better....my guess...it will be worse actually. Pathology has a backlog that is just growing.

Maybe go primary care....at least you can be sure that you will be able to feed your family. Join a big multigroup and take the specimens if there is no pathologist....do it part-time for the group.

He had posted in another thread earlier that he did not want an academic position ...

He had posted in another thread earlier that he did not want an academic position ...

Riiiiiiiight.

So - working at a grocery store while looking for a private practice job is an option whereas taking an academic pathologist gig while looking for a private practice job is not?

Something doesn't add up.

Why not add up?

If I take a local job here I will work retail/grocery/mow lawns whatever until something comes up (in a few months?) But what if something doesn't come up? (Like now when I can't even get an interview)

If I take another fellowship, I can't take a job for a year, I have to move which is expensive and hard on my family (Believe me moving for these fellowships causes stress in the house and is hard on the kids all the time). But a fellowship in Cyto might help my chances? But its a whole additional year (I will have trained as long as a neurosurgeon).

If I had this magic academic job that I could take and that I didn't have to do research at I would sign up! But where exactly is this job??? Where do I send my CV?

exPCM? Is that you? You have been noticeably absent recently, methinks.

:ninja:

exPCM? Is that you? You have been noticeably absent recently, methinks.

:ninja:

It's Raider. It's his/her 7th post. It's always interesting these ppl come out of the woodworks...set up an account and say they cant find a job.

Anyways, email Fred Silva and tell him about the poor job market and get back to us asap. [email protected]

So I am a 2nd year fellow who can't get a job. Should I do a 3rd fellowship in Cytology (try to jump in at a spot somewhere) or try to work in another field (retail/grocery store) while I try to get a job with my first two fellowships (Surg Path and Blood Bank)?

Keep in mind, I have huge loans to pay off that I could potentially defer longer if I get another fellowship.

But if I get another fellowship, I have to move my family again and take out even more loans to move and pay living expenses (my kids need new clothes/toys/etc.).

Any advice out there?

A word of encouragement. In 2008 a similar thread was started about not being able to find a job. You can go to the end of the rather long thread and see that the poster did find a position that he was very happy with.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=579266

You may be able to PM that poster to ask how he was able to successfully find a job, because he was in almost exactly the same position as you.

Any advice out there?

Send me a PM. I have the same training background as you & finished last year.

----- Antony

Here's an example of an excellent job market.

Radiology!

Company Name: Healthcare Staffing Solutions, Inc.
Title: No Buy In Partnership, PA - L008
Brief Description: Private practice of 8 full time and 2 part time rads seek another well rounded Radiologist (must do mammo) and a Mammographer.
Full Description: Private practice of 10 seeks another well rounded Raidologist. Must do all modalities excluding IR and nucs.. (mammo a must) Based in a 220 bed hospital with a hospital owned imaging center. 150,000 studies/yr. Nighthawk at 7pm. 425k, 8 weeks off. Partnership in 1 year earning in the 600’s. Will also look at a mammographer (can do other modalities but as much mammo as they want) for a NO CALL, non-partnership position. 425-450k, 10+ weeks off. (increase in salary and time off for employed position) Both get full family heath, max. contributions into pension, 5k cme stipend, disability. Contact Mark Baker; 800-621-0560; fax 954-752-9906.

hello!
I am a third year medical student interested in pathology. I am aware from the forum discussions that the job market isnt quite ideal these days...however, I want to find out more before I decide to choose something else. One important question: what is the difference between private practice and academic positions? Besides the obvious, what is the day-to-day life of each like? I would like to practice pathology performing various duties, that is: read specimens, consult with other physicians, do research, teach residents/students, etc. I do not want to sit in a corner and read one slide after another. That sounds more like an academic position to me, but could someone clarify? Also, what are the necessary qualifications for private vs. academic? and the compensation? And lastly, I know these questions are difficult to answer, but what are the chances that I can match (or even better, prematch) at a reputable university program? My stats are: 4.0 GPA, Step I: 256. But..I am from a caribbean med school. I have received all A's in my clinical so far also.
I would really appreciate it if someone could answer these questions for me. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.