I applied 3 years in a row...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XCanadianRagwee

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
and am accepted.

Just be persistant, improve your ap in some way, shape or form and hopefully you can share in my joy.

Members don't see this ad.

Congradulations:clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on my second application though with my THIRD mcat...so wish me luck.

Originally posted by BushBaby
I am on my second application though with my THIRD mcat...so wish me luck.

3 aps 3 MCATs for me...it can be done.

I applied twice, in '96 and '97, with a 31 MCAT (12 V, 10 P, 9 B) and 2.7 gpa. Did not get in, but was told after '97 in a post-rejection interview that I was a viable candidate, needed more high-level science courses (with good grades, of course) and some patient contact. This feedback was from LSU-NO.

Now, 6 years later, I have re-taken the MCAT, got a 35S, (14V, 11 P, 10 B) and no more coursework, just life experience. My MCAT score is high, but the sciences are only respectable, frankly. "35" is such a nice, high number, but 14 verbal, I'm guessing, doesn't impress any committee as much as 14 bio or phys sci. So I'm still hoping for the best, but not at all confident about being admitted.

The big difference is, I am now in Canada, applying to Memorial and Dalhousie, which have a totally different system of admissions than LSU, or other American schools. And I think, in all honesty, I'm a 75% shot to get in.

Moral of the story: live your life. If med school is your goal, make sure you continue to add experiences which make you a better candidate, and keep applying. But still, live your life. You have to pay bills, eat, have a social/love life, etc. If you want to go to med school, just do whatever you do WELL. And keep applying.

Of course, I might NOT get accepted this year, and I'll have to keep living my life. But that's part of the point. Some of us are not 100% locks to be accepted, and we can't waste any year of our lives waiting for the next admissions cycle. We have to keep living, but also keep being successful at whatever we do so we can bolster our chances for the next admissions cycle.

I really wish there were enough spots for all of us. Doctors are needed all over the world, and most of us would practice anywhere, high money or low money. Including me. Everyone on SDN should have a chance to be a doctor.

Good luck to everyone. Everyone on SDN seems dedicated enough to the goal that we all should be good doctors, in my opinion.

Jess

Originally posted by jesswise
I applied twice, in '96 and '97, with a 31 MCAT (12 V, 10 P, 9 B) and 2.7 gpa. Did not get in, but was told after '97 in a post-rejection interview that I was a viable candidate, needed more high-level science courses (with good grades, of course) and some patient contact. This feedback was from LSU-NO.

Now, 6 years later, I have re-taken the MCAT, got a 35S, (14V, 11 P, 10 B) and no more coursework, just life experience. My MCAT score is high, but the sciences are only respectable, frankly. "35" is such a nice, high number, but 14 verbal, I'm guessing, doesn't impress any committee as much as 14 bio or phys sci. So I'm still hoping for the best, but not at all confident about being admitted.

The big difference is, I am now in Canada, applying to Memorial and Dalhousie, which have a totally different system of admissions than LSU, or other American schools. And I think, in all honesty, I'm a 75% shot to get in.

Moral of the story: live your life. If med school is your goal, make sure you continue to add experiences which make you a better candidate, and keep applying. But still, live your life. You have to pay bills, eat, have a social/love life, etc. If you want to go to med school, just do whatever you do WELL. And keep applying.

Of course, I might NOT get accepted this year, and I'll have to keep living my life. But that's part of the point. Some of us are not 100% locks to be accepted, and we can't waste any year of our lives waiting for the next admissions cycle. We have to keep living, but also keep being successful at whatever we do so we can bolster our chances for the next admissions cycle.

I really wish there were enough spots for all of us. Doctors are needed all over the world, and most of us would practice anywhere, high money or low money. Including me. Everyone on SDN should have a chance to be a doctor.

Good luck to everyone. Everyone on SDN seems dedicated enough to the goal that we all should be good doctors, in my opinion.

Jess

I don't understand, y would anyone keep reapplying for 6 years? Your scores are probably good enough for you to get into a carribean school or a DO school. 6 years is just crazy.

In 6 years you could have done more than 1 residency.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I applied twice, '96 and '97.

I am NOW applying for the THIRD time, for the class of 2008.

In the meantime, I basically worked in sales, and moved from US to Canada.

Jess

Originally posted by jesswise
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I applied twice, '96 and '97.

I am NOW applying for the THIRD time, for the class of 2008.

In the meantime, I basically worked in sales, and moved from US to Canada.

Jess

O I see, makes sense now.

Well, I don't know this area quite well. But I would still suggest that you work in health-related career instead of sales, like nursing, physician assistant, etc, this kind of career will improve your future chances

Originally posted by rhp123
Well, I don't know this area quite well. But I would still suggest that you work in health-related career instead of sales, like nursing, physician assistant, etc, this kind of career will improve your future chances

I'm sure you are trying to be helpful, but nursing and PA each require certification and 2-4 years of school (depending on one's background) before one can even consider working in the field. I wouldn't invest the money and time just because I thought it would make me a better candidate for med school.

Yes, one can work as a CNA (certified nurse aide) or similar job for about $8/hour, but if you're supporting yourself for a few years, this is a very unattractive option. I would get a better-paying job (probably as Jess did) and volunteer an afternoon a week in health care instead. And being able to apply to the universities in the Maritimes, especially as a Maritime candidate, is a huge plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you love your current job and maybe it really pays good, this will be a different story, then you are right.

But think another way, it only takes about $5000 for an Associate degree in nursing from a community college if you are a resident there, and one can take classes at evening. It takes about two years part-time. And after passing the exam, one can be a RN and work part-time, the pay is higher than most other professions, and the experience is definitely helpful. And you can work in your old-career at the same time.

Well, the shortcoming is that it really takes a long-time, but for people who really like to be doctors, if they cannot be a doctor in the short-term, working as a RN or PA is similar since they are in the same field.

Another disadvantage is that one need to maintain really good GPA for the program. It is difficult since one need to work full-time, but if one achieve this, it will turns to be another plus in the future applications to Medical school.

I applied 3 times.. '97-'99 with GPA 3.65/3.7 MCAT 30 (from California) and told that my graduation in 3 yrs from undergrad hurt me. But anyhow, don't give up.. I'm in residency at a top program now, persistance pays off.

S

Originally posted by Surfer75
I applied 3 times.. '97-'99 with GPA 3.65/3.7 MCAT 30 (from California) and told that my graduation in 3 yrs from undergrad hurt me. But anyhow, don't give up.. I'm in residency at a top program now, persistance pays off.

S

With your gpa and mcat score you should have gotten accepted into a few medical schools in the U.S. If your application is missing something like clinical experience/volunteer, lor's, etc. you have to apply to atleast 20 schools.
But maybe you didn't get accepted because at the interview they thought that you weren't ready yet for medical school.

I too applied 3 times and have finally been accepted on my third shot. Yes I've spent a lot of $$$. Yes I've been accepted to DO school. Yes I'm darn proud :D
Persistence absolutely pays off. Although it may seem there are not enough spots for motivated and qualified appilicants with less-than-stellar grades, don't overlook the spaces reserved for non-traditional students among osteopathic medical schools.

Originally posted by upitt
With your gpa and mcat score you should have gotten accepted into a few medical schools in the U.S. If your application is missing something like clinical experience/volunteer, lor's, etc. you have to apply to atleast 20 schools.
But maybe you didn't get accepted because at the interview they thought that you weren't ready yet for medical school.

They also pointed out the inevitable 8 in VR as a big problem in addition to the 3 yrs accelerated undergrad program... anyhow, that's all old hat since I'm in a top IM program now as a R1 :)

They also pointed out the inevitable 8 in VR as a big problem in addition to the 3 yrs accelerated undergrad program... anyhow, that's all old hat since I'm in a top IM program now as a R1 :)

Where u in some special accelerated programm or did u just finish a normal undergrad programm in 3 years?

upitt I pm'd you, check your pm box.

Cheers!
rmp

Originally posted by NRAI2001
Where u in some special accelerated programm or did u just finish a normal undergrad programm in 3 years?

I just finished early because I didn't like where I was at :)

I just finished early because I didn't like where I was at :)

O, where were u?

Hey Jess,

I am a non-trad applicant waiting for news from Dal too. 2nd time applying. You said you are a resident of NB - are you Canadian? What's your story about being in the US?

Anyway, nice to meet you.

I'm from California. Got permanent resident status during med school in NF.

S

Originally posted by XCanadianRagwee
improve your ap in some way, shape or form

Congratulations.

Also, good advice. If you reapply, its generally better to come back a stronger candidate than a weaker one.

Coops

To Jesswise: I don't think your sales experience will overlook your low GPA. Frankly, your first rejection was attributed to low GPA, not your MCAT. Of course you have every right to be proud of increasing MCAT by four points but improving your grades would have helped significantly more.

Grades indicate hardwork. MCAT indicates potential. You need both to do well in the medical school.

MS II

After doing a search on XCanadian, I found out he got into a DO school. Yea that's right, he applied 2 years to only allopathic and finally got in his 3rd time to a DO school. I hope others who are reapplying follow in his stead and realize that if you want to become a physician but keep getting rejected to MD schools, maybe you should look into DO schools.

Originally posted by Insert
After doing a search on XCanadian, I found out he got into a DO school. Yea that's right, he applied 2 years to only allopathic and finally got in his 3rd time to a DO school. I hope others who are reapplying follow in his stead and realize that if you want to become a physician but keep getting rejected to MD schools, maybe you should look into DO schools.
What happened to that guy??? All of sudden he was poof!

A lot of people also got into MD schools their third try. And if someone's dream is to be an MD, they shouldn't apply to other programs, including DO, RN, PA, ND, etc. and vice versa.

If someone has worked so hard all these years in undergrad to be an MD, I think following a dream is most important to life to achieve happiness.

Ugh, I keep hearing this over and over and over....

I would think if someone is spending THOUSANDS upon thousands of dollars applying to an MD school, why would they "settle" for a DO. If they do, I feel they really don't know what they want. Because if you TRULY wanted to be an MD, you'd keep applying to an MD school and not even consider a DO school.

With that said, what are the significant differences between the two? I'm sure there must be a "disadvantage" to DO schools compared to MD schools since they seem to be easier to get into.

:confused:

Originally posted by clumpymold
Ugh, I keep hearing this over and over and over....

I would think if someone is spending THOUSANDS upon thousands of dollars applying to an MD school, why would they "settle" for a DO. If they do, I feel they really don't know what they want. Because if you TRULY wanted to be an MD, you'd keep applying to an MD school and not even consider a DO school.

With that said, what are the significant differences between the two? I'm sure there must be a "disadvantage" to DO schools compared to MD schools since they seem to be easier to get into.

:confused:

OK arsewipe (sorry but that's what I call people like you who have no farking clue what you are talking about-sorry mods I'll clean up my language if you need me to).:smuggrin:

I'm not "settling" for a DO. I'm darn happy to be accepted into an Osteo school, and never settled for it. Sure my first application cycle I applied only to MD schools. Why? Cuz I honestly had no clue about the Osteo world. I'm dead serious, no clue whatsoever. My whole life was spent in a world of MDs. After further work in clinical settings, I can honestly tell you there are no differences whatsoever when you are practicing. Some of the DOs I shadowed never use OMM, and some do. Honestly the only differens is the M is substitued with a D, and the D is substitued with an O MD-->DO.

Honestly, I truly don't care what I am-MD/DO doens't make a difference to me-as long as I'm a doctor doing what I love.

So am I really "settling"?

Originally posted by STAC
What happened to that guy??? All of sudden he was poof!

I'm back from a long strange trip...

OK arsewipe (sorry but that's what I call people like you who have no farking clue what you are talking about-sorry mods I'll clean up my language if you need me to).:smuggrin:

I'm not "settling" for a DO. I'm darn happy to be accepted into an Osteo school, and never settled for it. Sure my first application cycle I applied only to MD schools. Why? Cuz I honestly had no clue about the Osteo world. I'm dead serious, no clue whatsoever. My whole life was spent in a world of MDs. After further work in clinical settings, I can honestly tell you there are no differences whatsoever when you are practicing. Some of the DOs I shadowed never use OMM, and some do. Honestly the only differens is the M is substitued with a D, and the D is substitued with an O MD-->DO.

Honestly, I truly don't care what I am-MD/DO doens't make a difference to me-as long as I'm a doctor doing what I love.

So am I really "settling"?

No, arsewipe, YOU have no farking clue what you're talking about. You really should read my post before you post and embarass yourself further.

YOU are not settling because you have researched it and have concluded that EITHER field will make you happy. But for others who have already decided that they ONLY will be happy pursuing an MD, THEY are settling if they were to be given advice to pursue a DO. Now, they'd only be settling if they had done research, of course. If they haven't, then they should because maybe they may realize that they DO in fact like it and would prefer EITHER field.

If someone has researched BOTH fields and has concluded that an MD is their dream and nothing else, why advise them to go pursue a DO? THAT doesn't make sense and that was my point because I see so many people doing that. +pissed+

No, arsewipe, YOU have no farking clue what you're talking about. You really should read my post before you post and embarass yourself further.

YOU are not settling because you have researched it and have concluded that EITHER field will make you happy. But for others who have already decided that they ONLY will be happy pursuing an MD, THEY are settling if they were to be given advice to pursue a DO. Now, they'd only be settling if they had done research, of course. If they haven't, then they should because maybe they may realize that they DO in fact like it and would prefer EITHER field.

If someone has researched BOTH fields and has concluded that an MD is their dream and nothing else, why advise them to go pursue a DO? THAT doesn't make sense and that was my point because I see so many people doing that. +pissed+

Embarass myself further, I do that lots on my own thankyouverymuch. I don't need your help.

One simple question...who are you to judge what should and should not make people happy?

O NO YOU DIDN"T..... are u gonna take that XCanadianRagwee. So em how they do in canada

One simple question...who are you to judge what should and should not make people happy?

I'm not. But the people who suggest them to pursue DO are the ones that believe it will make them happy. So THEY are judging, no? I was only asking why they even suggest it when they have already made up their mind to pursue MD.

You talk as if there is a significant difference between the two. The reality is, there is not. If you only truly want only the MD then you just want the prestige and instant respect that comes with the degree. If you want to be a physician, you will apply to both types of schools to increase your chances of becoming a physician.

Originally posted by Slickness
You talk as if there is a significant difference between the two. The reality is, there is not. If you only truly want only the MD then you just want the prestige and instant respect that comes with the degree. If you want to be a physician, you will apply to both types of schools to increase your chances of becoming a physician.

EXACTLY! I never stated otherwise. But if you plan on doing research, an MD is the only way to go, is that correct?

If that's what you plan on doing, then there is no other choice. I actually feel bad for those doing it only for the prestige or the money. That is VERY sad. But I'm sure they'll realize it sooner or later.

I'm not. But the people who suggest them to pursue DO are the ones that believe it will make them happy. So THEY are judging, no? I was only asking why they even suggest it when they have already made up their mind to pursue MD.

It was suggested to me...

and look at me now. Ohmygah I'm so horrible cuz I'm going to a DO school. I might as well kill myself now before embarking on the cross country journey to get there.

EXACTLY! I never stated otherwise. But if you plan on doing research, an MD is the only way to go, is that correct?

BWA HA HA HA HA HA. Unfortunately I now have to clean up the moitor since it took the full brunt of the coke spewing out my my mouth from laughing so hard.

Several friends who are gonna be DO's have done tons of research at their school.

Why do I respond to your posts? Why SDN, why?

Several friends who are gonna be DO's have done tons of research at their school.

That doesn't make sense. Friends who are GOING to be DO's have done tons of research? I'm talking about AFTER you earn your MD. Not before. :laugh:

and look at me now. Ohmygah I'm so horrible cuz I'm going to a DO school. I might as well kill myself now before embarking on the cross country journey to get there. [/B]

Then you obviously didn't do enough research in the first place and didn't realize you'd be happy doing either. But for those that HAVE realized and HAVE done research, it's useless to recommend a DO to an MD-driven applicant (or even to recommend an MD to a DO-driven applicant).

And when did I ever say going to a DO school is horrible? You really should read the posts before replying. You're making yourself look worse and worse. Do yourself and us a favor and stop replying (like you just asked yourself why) and leaving pointless comments that make no sense.

Nah, I need some good honest advice.

Today I received an acceptance letter to an MD school. I have already been accepted to a DO school. Knowing some of my past..which route should I go? I'd list all the ads and disads but that'd take too long.

(I already know the answer to this).

Nah, I need some good honest advice.

Today I received an acceptance letter to an MD school. I have already been accepted to a DO school. Knowing some of my past..which route should I go? I'd list all the ads and disads but that'd take too long.

(I already know the answer to this).

Wow, that's awesome. But it seems as if you were pretty set on going to a DO school. Would you be just as happy (or better yet, happier) going to an MD school? What is your ultimate purpose for pursuing this field in the first place? Will it matter to you what other MDs "supposedly" will think of you being a DO? If you truly feel that there is no difference, then go DO. But if you DO feel that there IS a difference, then go MD. Either way, choose what you feel will make you ultimately the happiest.

wow something we agree on...

Haha, well, we never really disagreed on anything. It was more of a misunderstanding.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll make the right choice. Congratulations, by the way. :clap: