I am so depressed after i have learned how i was getting paid as a dentist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love how every "why do you want to go into dentistry" thread in this forum bashes anyone who mentions doing dentistry for money. Everyone always mentions how they loooove to help people and teeth and to work with their hands, and money plays no factor whatsoever.

yet 4 years later, when a thread about money pops up, everyone cries about how theyre only making 100k+ and how horrible that is.

I completely agree.

Perhaps that is because when they did post a "How much money will I make..." 4 years ago, prior to entering dental school, this individual got scolded for even thinking about monetary reimbursement when everybody else is doing it for the "love" of the profession. Don't get me wrong, the "love" of the profession is definitely required, but to blindly go into a profession not knowing what to monetarily expect is asinine and ignorant of the times we live in.

Let's not kid ourselves, we live in difficult times, times that require more than just love for or of something, but moreso the drive to make money and make ends meet.

I am not trying to pinpoint anybody here, but it is aggravating to see people who start these threads get scolded by individuals living with their brains in their hearts. It is also probably noteworthy to suggest that these particular people end up like the OP four years down the road, because when you're out as an adult responsible for a family, wages really do matter and affect your daily life.

I am not sure why SDN is on such an ideological mission to rid potential professionals from entering a career solely for the money. Sure, repetitive threads get annoying, but, in my eyes, they have a very real merit that at least necessitates some discussion.

However, I digress.

It is interesting to read the stories of those whom are practicing dentists, as they offer invaluable advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I completely agree.

Perhaps that is because when they did post a "How much money will I make..." 4 years ago, prior to entering dental school, this individual got scolded for even thinking about monetary reimbursement when everybody else is doing it for the "love" of the profession. Don't get me wrong, the "love" of the profession is definitely required, but to blindly go into a profession not knowing what to monetarily expect is asinine and ignorant of the times we live in.

Let's not kid ourselves, we live in difficult times, times that require more than just love for or of something, but moreso the drive to make money and make ends meet.

I am not trying to pinpoint anybody here, but it is aggravating to see people who start these threads get scolded by individuals living with their brains in their hearts. It is also probably noteworthy to suggest that these particular people end up like the OP four years down the road, because when you're out as an adult responsible for a family, wages really do matter and affect your daily life.

I am not sure why SDN is on such an ideological mission to rid potential professionals from entering a career solely for the money. Sure, repetitive threads get annoying, but, in my eyes, they have a very real merit that at least necessitates some discussion.

However, I digress.

It is interesting to read the stories of those whom are practicing dentists, as they offer invaluable advice.

+1 :thumbup:

Could some more practicing dentists please chime in with your thoughts?

:laugh: yeah, hammer's story just isnt the norm anymore, getting your education paid for you is the norm right? hahaha good for dr. omar tho, i'm not hating on it! if happiness is owning your own practice, then being born well off must be euphoria! :rofl:

Hammers story CAN be the norm. Still to this day! As I have posted before I have a very similar story. All I want to do is return to school to specialize. I have been trying for a year to sell my practice and no one seems interested because it is a rural practice. I was 930,000 in debt 3.5 years ago, and am now debt free. I paid off my practice loan in 4 years. Take home 300 plus on 4 easy days a week. Yet everyone wants to live in the big city.

There are probably hundreds of practices like this across the country, many where doctors have stopped trying to sell them because no one is interested. Hammers story isnt the norm because so many are lazy and unwilling to relocate.

Its ludicrous that I will probably end up CLOSING my doors if I get accepted to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hammers story CAN be the norm. Still to this day! As I have posted before I have a very similar story. All I want to do is return to school to specialize. I have been trying for a year to sell my practice and no one seems interested because it is a rural practice. I was 930,000 in debt 3.5 years ago, and am now debt free. I paid off my practice loan in 4 years. Take home 300 plus on 4 easy days a week. Yet everyone wants to live in the big city.

There are probably hundreds of practices like this across the country, many where doctors have stopped trying to sell them because no one is interested. Hammers story isnt the norm because so many are lazy and unwilling to relocate.

Its ludicrous that I will probably end up CLOSING my doors if I get accepted to school.

So in 3.5 years, you were able to pay off 930,000 in debt, not to mention have enough money for liviing expenses, etc.... Basically I can conservatively estimate you are paying yourself like 500k/year before taxes now to handle the debt and other expenses. Why the hell would you go back to school? You could retire in 10 years based on YOUR numbers.

So in 3.5 years, you were able to pay off 930,000 in debt, not to mention have enough money for liviing expenses, etc.... Basically I can conservatively estimate you are paying yourself like 500k/year before taxes now to handle the debt and other expenses. Why the hell would you go back to school? You could retire in 10 years based on YOUR numbers.

when I moved here, clearly I was in a lot of debt. I had 2 houses, a practice loan, student loans, private student loans, CC loans, car loans. Money was a big motivator. As I have worked out of debt I have realized that Money isnt as important to me. My passion lies with children and that's how I want to spend my life. I no longer NEED my practice to survive, and can pursue what I WANT.

when I moved here, clearly I was in a lot of debt. I had 2 houses, a practice loan, student loans, private student loans, CC loans, car loans. Money was a big motivator. As I have worked out of debt I have realized that Money isnt as important to me. My passion lies with children and that's how I want to spend my life. I no longer NEED my practice to survive, and can pursue what I WANT.
:thumbup: that's so awesome

Going to school and getting the DDS does not give you a golden ticket.

You have to compete :eek: with others.

What I hear from many of you is, "IT'S NOT FAAIIRR!!!"

Become a strategist. Set goals for yourself business-wise. Tough it out and save your money so you can pay off your debt faster and buy a practice sooner.

What about rental property?

You could buy a place, say a duplex, that could pay your loan payments. You might have to fix a toilet now and again, but tough. That's life.

Think outside the box and stop complaining.

I worked my ass off. The practice I bought was grossing a little over 400K a year. The doctor I bought from would buy a years worth of supplies at the end of every year so my first year I really didn't buy any supplies so that reduced my overhead by about 8% right off the bat. I raised the fees which were ridiculously low and I hired an associate. The office also had no computers so I set up a network and was one of the first dentists in the country to use Dentrix which at that time had just been released (1995). I was able to raise collections to 98% and increase the gross to about 650k in 1996 and then somewhere in the 700 to 750 for 97-98. I basically used my take home to reinvest in the practice and to pay off my debt. We lived off my wife's salary during those 3 years which was about $65,000. Once I paid off the office debt I went out and bought a new Cobra :thumbup:

Oh and to be completely honest, I was able to pay off about $450-460K in those 3 years. In 1996 my dad died and left me about $160K. I had borrowed about $80k from my mom to get computers and make a down payment on the office so I paid her back. Then I took the other $80k and bought a piece of lake property with $60K of it and the other $20k I invested in my retirement

Well, your story sounds very motivating and inspirational . However, again, it really depends on where you practice. I figured you probably practice in one of those very good markets, Maine, LA, Tx, Pa, somewhere dentist vs Patient ratio is small. If you are talking about NYC, Southern California, or Boston where dentists are over saturated, it is a totally different ball game.

I don't think all these docs in the big cities are stupid like a pig, willing to take a huge pay cut and not relocate somewhere else. They have their reasoning so do I. I can easily relocate to Louisiana and make a killing. But then, what next? Wait for the next Karina? Oppertunities exist only if you are willing to compromise and being flexible.

Great story but not many of us will be able to practice in the state called cusp of carabelli - must be a gold mine..lol :laugh:

Totally agreed, I want to see this guy coming to NYC or Los Angeles so that he will see what kind of "hot shot" he will be. :laugh:

I have seen many stories like this on dentaltown - I will definitely be looking to go rural once I graduate. :thumbup:

Well, your story sounds very motivating and inspirational . However, again, it really depends on where you practice. I figured you probably practice in one of those very good markets, Maine, LA, Tx, Pa, somewhere dentist vs Patient ratio is small. If you are talking about NYC, Southern California, or Boston where dentists are over saturated, it is a totally different ball game.

I don't think all these docs in the big cities are stupid like a pig, willing to take a huge pay cut and not relocate somewhere else. They have their reasoning so do I. I can easily relocate to Louisiana and make a killing. But then, what next? Wait for the next Karina? Oppertunities exist only if you are willing to compromise and being flexible.

i think you're being misleading. it's one thing to say it's tougher for NEW dentists to move into "saturated" areas and make a killing, but there certainly are MANY dentists in socal, nyc, the bay, etc. that are killing it despite the amount of dentists in the area.

perhaps your people skills aren't good enough to compete in places like NYC, or maybe it's your marketing, or your buisness plan. location alone won't stop dentists from coming in, associating, buying, and doing very well.

Totally agreed, I want to see this guy coming to NYC or Los Angeles so that he will see what kind of "hot shot" he will be. :laugh:

are you mocking hammer saying he's a "hot shot" for retiring in his early 40's? i don't get it. are you saying that he wouldn't have done so well in the city??? (i presume you practice in a metro area) hmmm. buisness is buisness.
:bullcrap:

Anytime you want to compare techniques then step up bitch otherwise let me encourage you to drink a nice tall glass of shut the **** up. At least there are people on this board who have seen my work. You are just some anonymous troll who can't ****ing spell.

Great is great no matter where you are. If your hands are **** and you have the personality of a dead dog's ******* you will go NOWHERE. I have the skills to pay the bills no matter what market I am in and I worked goddamn hard to get them and now I am reaping the benefits. Had I gone to NY, LA, SF or BFE it would have gone down the same. The only difference how long it might have taken me. You want to whine because you suck don't hate on me because I don't. Either step up and do the work to get what you want or shut the **** up. As I have said before I will say again "Nut up (if you have them) or shut up.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
are you mocking hammer saying he's a "hot shot" for retiring in his early 40's? i don't get it. are you saying that he wouldn't have done so well in the city??? (i presume you practice in a metro area) hmmm. buisness is buisness.
:bullcrap:

Now you can see the real "espirit de corp" amongst dentists. Those that can will and make a lot of money in the process. Those that are afraid to do what it takes to make it will make excuses and talk a lot of **** about the ones making it. Get use to it big J, you'll be hearing it about yourself in about 3 more years :thumbup:

And just to put a fine point on it, why don't you call up my neighbors from the cusp of carabelli who teach in Seattle now and ask them what they think would happen if I showed up ANYWHERE to practice. How many of these guys know who the **** you are?

spear_faculty.jpg

Hammer, don't let some guy who is envious of your position get under your skin so easily.

Anytime you want to compare techniques then step up bitch otherwise let me encourage you to drink a nice tall glass of shut the **** up. At least there are people on this board who have seen my work. You are just some anonymous troll who can't ****ing spell.

Great is great no matter where you are. If your hands are **** and you have the personality of a dead dog's ******* you will go NOWHERE. I have the skills to pay the bills no matter what market I am in and I worked goddamn hard to get them and now I am reaping the benefits. Had I gone to NY, LA, SF or BFE it would have gone down the same. The only difference how long it might have taken me. You want to whine because you suck don't hate on me because I don't. Either step up and do the work to get what you want or shut the **** up. As I have said before I will say again "Nut up (if you have them) or shut up.:thumbup:

...BOOYAH! :thumbup:

Dude, if all you know about spelling is *******, then you ruined your sorry a s s reputation to begin with. I did not start off by any personal attack, but you did. Anyways, how the hell you know I suck? Do you know me at all? All the discussion raised here are generic and not based on any personal preferences.
Anyways, lets stop here and move on man.

i think you're being misleading. it's one thing to say it's tougher for NEW dentists to move into "saturated" areas and make a killing, but there certainly are MANY dentists in socal, nyc, the bay, etc. that are killing it despite the amount of dentists in the area.

perhaps your people skills aren't good enough to compete in places like NYC, or maybe it's your marketing, or your buisness plan. location alone won't stop dentists from coming in, associating, buying, and doing very well.

Yes, and no. My point is that, saturated market is tougher to be successful because everybody else can just be as good as you are.They are from the same school you went to and had the same training as you did. there are many factors, not just location alone. Of course, there always be someone at the top of the mountain anywhere. A lot times hard working ethics alone will not make you rich, it has other factors.

A lot of new grads in S CA can not find a job in the metro and ended up relocating to somewhere else. That is just a cold fact.

Another thing is, everything I mentioned is not based on any personal information or preferences. They are merely some observations, that is all.

Yes, and no. My point is that, saturated market is tougher to be successful because everybody else can just be as good as you are.They are from the same school you went to and had the same training as you did. there are many factors, not just location alone. Of course, there always be someone at the top of the mountain anywhere. A lot times hard working ethics alone will not make you rich, it has other factors.

A lot of new grads in S CA can not find a job in the metro and ended up relocating to somewhere else. That is just a cold fact.

Another thing is, everything I mentioned is not based on any personal information or preferences. They are merely some observations, that is all.

i agree that it would be tough for new grads to walk into the socal market and "hang a shingle", but its not hard to land an associate position and bounce around until you find a good match w/ a practicng dentist you can learn from and buy from.

in these situations it really isn't a matter of class rank or school prestige but more of a personality issue. (i think that was what hammer was trying to say in his own eloquent way :laugh: )

i agree that it would be tough for new grads to walk into the socal market and "hang a shingle", but its not hard to land an associate position and bounce around until you find a good match w/ a practicng dentist you can learn from and buy from.

in these situations it really isn't a matter of class rank or school prestige but more of a personality issue. (i think that was what hammer was trying to say in his own eloquent way :laugh: )

how do you know? from experience?

Had I gone to NY, LA, SF or BFE it would have gone down the same.

You might be able to fool some people, but you can't fool everybody. Don't make claims you can't back up.

You might be able to fool some people, but you can't fool everybody. Don't make claims you can't back up.

Well thats it for me. Good luck to everyone who actually are trying to learn

Dude, if all you know about spelling is *******, then you ruined your sorry a s s reputation to begin with. I did not start off by any personal attack, but you did. Anyways, how the hell you know I suck? Do you know me at all? All the discussion raised here are generic and not based on any personal preferences.
Anyways, lets stop here and move on man.

Yawn. I'll just let you drop your pearls of wisdom here then.