I am a URM better than acceptable Stats and still nothing ?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarylandDude

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

This is my first time posting on SDN, but I have been an avid lurker for a while.

My Reason for posting today: I don't understand what is going on with my applications. I am an African-American male, my advisor says I should be a sure bet for numerous acceptances. These are my stats:

School: Had to edit this out for privacy.
Double major: Gen bio and a liberal art.
G.P.A: 3.7
MCAT: 30 T PS 11 V 7 BS 12

I know these stats aren't great, but they are well above the MSAR averages for minorities.

Some Extracurricula activties:
I am certainly not lacking in this area.

*I have been president of 3 different organization/clubs with more than 70 members.
*Over 500hrs of volunteering and shadowing over a two year period.
* Studied abroad
* Two years of Cancer research with a publication.
* I have worked in a non-profit company which specialized in helping underserved communities.
* I am a surveying technician and working on my surveyor license.
* A lot of little awards
* A lot of little activities to give back to the community.
* A lot of other leadership roles and jobs.

and for those of you who are wondering, NO I don't have a criminal record or anything close. Not even a parking ticket.

I applied to about 15-17 schools and No acceptances yet. I was confident about my chances at the start but now I'm starting to think that something is wrong with my app. Please help. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how many interviews do you have?

I'm not saying that you are, but don't ever think that you can be a shoe in to medical school; the process is too variable for that. Your application does look quite good though.....

How did your interviews go? Did you you hit it off with the interviewer? What was your personal statement like? e-mail it to me (doctajay at studentdoctor dot net) so I can read it. The only things that could possibly be sinking you is:

1) A bad personal statement
2) A bad letter of recommendation (this is a biggie and unfortunately one that you may not be able to know right now)
3) Really bad interviewing skills

I'll check out the PS if you allow me, but besides that I'm not sure man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not saying that you are, but don't ever think that you can be a shoe in to medical school; the process is too variable for that. Your application does look quite good though.....

How did your interviews go? Did you you hit it off with the interviewer? What was your personal statement like? e-mail it to me (doctajay at studentdoctor dot net) so I can read it. The only things that could possibly be sinking you is:

2) A bad letter of recommendation (this is a biggie and unfortunately one that you may not be able to know right now)

Agreed. If you applied broadly and received multiple interview invites, then its the interview itself thats holding you back.

yea, where have you interviewed?

Thanks for the elaborate response. I was reluctant to list the schools at which I interviewed for I knew you guys would list my interviewing skills as the main problem. However, since all of you have asked here they are:

Sunny Upstate
Uconn
Georgetown
OSU

I have 2 coming up at Wake and Maryland.

I MAY JUST BE IN DENIAL and disinclined to face my weaknesses, but allow me to say that I definetly dont think that my interviewing skills are the problem. I have had many succesful job and scholarship interviews. I consider myself a pretty gregarious guy. I doubt that I would be getting the interviews if my essay was Bad and I'm pretty sure my advisor would have told me something if one of my Letters of rec was bad (or I hope she would have).

I have gotten the shank from three of my low tier safety schools (Sunny Buffulo , Eastern Virginia and West virginia ) and I haven't heard from any of the top schools (Upenn, Columbia.... etc).

Last edited:
Thanks for the elaborate response. I was reluctant to list the schools at which I interviewed for I knew you guys would list my interviewing skills as the main problem. However, since all of you have asked here they are:

Sunny Upstate
Uconn
Georgetown
OSU

I have 2 coming up at Wake and Maryland.

I MAY JUST BE IN DENIAL and disinclined to face my weaknesses. Nevertheless, allow me to say that I definetly dont think that my interviewing skills are the problem. I have had many succesful job and scholarship interviews. I consider myself a pretty gregarious guy. I doubt that I would be getting the interviews if my essay was Bad and I'm pretty sure my advisor would have told me something if one of my Letters of rec was bad (or I hope she would have).

I have gotten the shank from three of my low tier safety schools (Sunny Buffulo , Eastern Virginia and West virginia ) and I haven't heard from any of the top schools (Upenn, Columbia.... etc).

Well, the biggest thing that sticks out for me is that 7 in verbal. But it's still REALLY early. I mean, it's hard to expect acceptances this early. Also, I do not know if you are a resident for any of those state schools, but just try to be patient and maybe do a mock interview with a friend or counselor just to reassure yourself of your interviewing skills. Also, some undergrads have policies where they will not tell you if you have bad or mediocre letters, so you may want to consider that possibility.

Well, the biggest thing that sticks out for me is that 7 in verbal. But it's still REALLY early. I mean, it's hard to expect acceptances this early. Also, I do not know if you are a resident for any of those state schools, but just try to be patient and maybe do a mock interview with a friend or counselor just to reassure yourself of your interviewing skills. Also, some undergrads have policies where they will not tell you if you have bad or mediocre letters, so you may want to consider that possibility.

Yeah trust me, I literally almost cried over that verbal score. I'm a liberal arts major and I read for fun :confused:.

Hey Dr. Jay I would def be willing to send you my PS for good measure. Can you PM me your email? thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah trust me, I literally almost cried over that verbal score. I'm a liberal arts major and I read for fun:confused:.

It's definitely survivable, and there's nothing you can do about it now anyway. Also, schools are still offering interviews, and to have 6 interviews so early is A LOT. Even if it doesn't feel like it when you're on this forum.

6 interviews is good at this stage of the cycle. I don't recall you stating when you turned in your apps-- if your apps at certain schools were complete on the later side of things, that could also be why. You say that you haven't been accepted yet, but have you heard negative responses yet (waitlists/rejections) or is it that you haven't heard anything at all? Perhaps they just haven't made a decision yet or the committee hasn't met to decide yet?

As DoctaJay said, there are aspects of your application that you don't see, such as your letters of recommendation. Those letters can sometimes break an otherwise solid application depending on how lukewarm/ not-so-enthusiastic they are. Considering the fact that you have some interviews, this might not necessarily be the problem, but you never know.

Also, it is only December, so you have quite a while to go in this cycle. A lot can happen between now and the end of the cycle. Hang in there!

6 interviews is good at this stage of the cycle. I don't recall you stating when you turned in your apps-- if your apps at certain schools were complete on the later side of things, that could also be why. You say that you haven't been accepted yet, but have you heard negative responses yet (waitlists/rejections) or is it that you haven't heard anything at all? Perhaps they just haven't made a decision yet or the committee hasn't met to decide yet?

Yes. I got waitlisted at two schools. This is mainly why I'm worried.

Thank You guys for the words of encouragment :).

Last edited:
At the end of the day, its still early to be hearing about acceptances. If you've gotten 6 interviews so far, I think your app is fine. Its really hard to get accepted into every school you interview at, so waitlists are part of the game.

At the end of the day, its still early to be hearing about acceptances. If you've gotten 6 interviews so far, I think your app is fine. Its really hard to get accepted into every school you interview at, so waitlists are part of the game.
I second that. It doesn't feel like it (especially on SDN) but it is still very early. You haven't been rejected yet which is a good sign. Have faith & push this out of your mind so you can rock your upcoming interviews.

Like everyone else has said, this process is a crapshoot and all you can do is be patient and hope for the best. There is no such thing as safety schools. Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)

This is solid. If you are getting interviews, your app is most likely good enough. I know the 7 on verbal may be a concern, but because of the interviews, I wouldnt worry about it anymore...they may take another look at it but numbers are easy screens, so you already know its good enough.

Like the others said, just concentrate hard on what you are doing during your interviews and how you are coming across, because that is what's most important to you at this point. Best of luck!

Blackdr2b I love that avatar. Just looking at it puts a smile of joy on my face. As a young black man with aspirations of becoming a physician, I find it very powerful.

But this message is for everyone:

Please Don't pay gaunrillonit18 any mind. He is obviously trying to be the catalyst to some race dispute.

I appreciate all the advice, suggestions and encouragement. so please keep them coming. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just find it funny how brave people are behind a computer screen because all of us know that somebody who would say "fail by you" would NEVER say anything about this to any of our faces. :rolleyes:

I just find it funny how brave people are behind a computer screen because all of us know that somebody who would say "fail by you" would NEVER say anything about this to any of our faces. :rolleyes:
LoL welcome to SDN

To the OP: Hang in there, it's early and you have done well with racking up the interviews. Even if you are on a couple of waitlists, you have a solid shot of getting off. Just keep positive and get ready for the long "haul".

To everyone else: Hit that little triangle under poster's avatar and that will send posts to the moderation queue as opposed to engaging them. All of the regular posters know that this is not the forum for debates but a forum for celebrating and encouraging.

Sociopolitical is out there for the debates and you all know that your success breeds envy in others so why bother with them? Continue to support each other and when someone tries to disparage in this forum, let us know.

The OP is perfectly within his rights to ask the question that he did and you all have done a great job in addressing his concerns in a supportive and constructive manner.

Reactions: 1 user
To the OP: Hang in there, it's early and you have done well with racking up the interviews. Even if you are on a couple of waitlists, you have a solid shot of getting off. Just keep positive and get ready for the long "haul".

To everyone else: Hit that little triangle under poster's avatar and that will send posts to the moderation queue as opposed to engaging them. All of the regular posters know that this is not the forum for debates but a forum for celebrating and encouraging.

Sociopolitical is out there for the debates and you all know that your success breeds envy in others so why bother with them? Continue to support each other and when someone tries to disparage in this forum, let us know.

The OP is perfectly within his rights to ask the question that he did and you all have done a great job in addressing his concerns in a supportive and constructive manner.
thanks njbmd. I'm going to start using that little triangle more often

Hey guys I just got into SUNY Upstate medical school :D. Thanks for all your support I was going Crazy.:highfive::soexcited::clap::bow::biglove::biglove:

Thanks. I'm glad I made the cut. I have been waiting my whole life for this :D:D.

Congrats. I knew you would be fine; all it takes is a little patience. Afterall, this process is unpredictable. :)

Congrats. I knew you would be fine; all it takes is a little patience. Afterall, this process is unpredictable. :)

Hey thanks, but no this process is worst than unpredictable. It is straight up HAZING at the optimal level :mad: and I'm just glad I will never have to go through it again :D.

But hey what's the number #1 med school in the country ?
ANSWER: The first one you get into. = SUNY Upstate aaaaaa yes !!!! :soexcited::banana:

What a Christmas present!!! Congrats!

Got an INTERVIEW at STANFORD U today!!!!!!!!:banana::biglove::diebanana:
I guess the letters of recs weren't so bad after all :D.

Last edited:
Wow, thats impressive. This cycle is far from over :)

YESSSSS. It's so faaarrrr from over and I'm proof of it. In fact, I think the second half of the game has just started. I just didn't expect it to start off this strongly for me. Stanford!!!!!! :soexcited: My parents flipped when I told them.

Edit: It couldn't have come at a better time (winter break) . Now I have a reason to make my parents pay for a
small LA vacation ;).

Last edited:
Stanford? DAYAM! Good luck! Wait a minute.. Stanford is in Los Gatos. That's in Northern California.

Last edited:
Stanford? DAYAM! Good luck! Wait a minute.. Stanford is in Los Gatos. That's in Northern California.

haha yeah thanks. SheMarty told me about it being quite a long way from LA. But its ok, I'm def spending the money on the extra plane ticket since I've never been. I figured this may be my last chance to visit LA for a while. Unless I get in of course ;).

Hello guys,

This is my first time posting on SDN, but I have been an avid lurker for a while.

My Reason for posting today: I don't understand what is going on with my applications. I am an African-American male, my advisor says I should be a sure bet for numerous acceptances. These are my stats:

School: Had to edit this out for privacy.
Double major: Gen bio and a liberal art.
G.P.A: 3.7
MCAT: 30 T PS 11 V 7 BS 12

I know these stats aren't great, but they are well above the MSAR averages for minorities.

Some Extracurricula activties:
I am certainly not lacking in this area.

*I have been president of 3 different organization/clubs with more than 70 members.
*Over 500hrs of volunteering and shadowing over a two year period.
* Studied abroad
* Two years of Cancer research with a publication.
* I have worked in a non-profit company which specialized in helping underserved communities.
* I am a surveying technician and working on my surveyor license.
* A lot of little awards
* A lot of little activities to give back to the community.
* A lot of other leadership roles and jobs.

and for those of you who are wondering, NO I don't have a criminal record or anything close. Not even a parking ticket.

I applied to about 15-17 schools and No acceptances yet. I was confident about my chances at the start but now I'm starting to think that something is wrong with my app. Please help. :(

I think you should come to Texas... become a resident and live here for a year instead of applying to post-bacc programs, Sure it'll be a lag year. but you would pay at least 50 percent less for medical school than anywhere else and you get quality for the buck.

In texas, you are way above average: P

I think you should come to Texas... become a resident and live here for a year instead of applying to post-bacc programs, Sure it'll be a lag year. but you would pay at least 50 percent less for medical school than anywhere else and you get quality for the buck.

In texas, you are way above average: P

lol Thanks buddy :), but I have an acceptance already. Good Luck to you.

Hey guys I just got into SUNY Upstate medical school :D. Thanks for all your support I was going Crazy.:highfive::soexcited::clap::bow::biglove::biglove:

Are the SUNY undergraduate schools any good? I was thinking about transferring to one of them. :)

Are the SUNY undergraduate schools any good? I was thinking about transferring to one of them. :)
there's a lot of them. Some are better than others. i heard Binghamton is really good.

there's a lot of them. Some are better than others. i heard Binghamton is really good.

I've heard of Binghamton. Do you know whether or not it's in the middle of large city or is it suburban-like?

I've heard of Binghamton. Do you know whether or not it's in the middle of large city or is it suburban-like?

It is "suburban-like" and it was also rated #2 for best value public school after UVA. But why did you change your avatar pic? I loved the old one.

It is "suburban-like" and it was also rated #2 for best value public school after UVA. But why did you change your avatar pic? I loved the old one.

Wow.. #2 after UVA? UVA is my dream school, but unfortunately I can't apply there. I'm definitely going to look into Binghamton now. Thanks for the info.

... You like my old avatar? Thanks. Do you love kids or just African American art? I thought it was adorable as well, but I'm the type of person that changes her avatar pictures every week. It's the only thing in my life that has a little variety in it because of my hectic, routined schedule...lol.

Wow.. #2 after UVA? UVA is my dream school, but unfortunately I can't apply there. I'm definitely going to look into Binghamton now. Thanks for the info.

... You like my old avatar? Thanks. Do you love kids or just African American art? I thought it was adorable as well, but I'm the type of person that changes her avatar pictures every week. It's the only thing in my life that has a little variety in it because of my hectic, routined schedule...lol.

Binghamton is good. I have a lot of friends that go there and it is definitely one of the hardest SUNYs to get into. The only issue is that the city of Binghamton is more or less the only thing around the college for like an hour. I've been there to visit and I literally drove from Westchester County to Binghamton and just counted silos the entire way because there was nothing. My cousin who goes there has a good time, but I know he'll sometimes go and meet up with my other cousin who goes to Cortland and they'll go into Syracuse (about an hour away). As far as academics goes though...they definitely have what you're looking for. The only problem is the ridiculous amount of obnoxious kids from Long Island....:laugh:

Binghamton is good. I have a lot of friends that go there and it is definitely one of the hardest SUNYs to get into. The only issue is that the city of Binghamton is more or less the only thing around the college for like an hour. I've been there to visit and I literally drove from Westchester County to Binghamton and just counted silos the entire way because there was nothing. My cousin who goes there has a good time, but I know he'll sometimes go and meet up with my other cousin who goes to Cortland and they'll go into Syracuse (about an hour away). As far as academics goes though...they definitely have what you're looking for. The only problem is the ridiculous amount of obnoxious kids from Long Island....:laugh:

Oh wow...Long Islanders...:help:..LOL j/k. It's sounds like the school of my dreams. Believe me, I need to be in the middle of no where in order to focus on my studies. Being 10 minutes from all the action would be dreadful for me. New York seems like a cool place. I might consider settling down in one of the suburbs. I'm sure it'll be really expensive though :uhno:. Thanks for the info. :)

Oh wow...Long Islanders...:help:..LOL j/k. It's sounds like the school of my dreams. Believe me, I need to be in the middle of no where in order to focus on my studies. Being 10 minutes from all the action would be dreadful for me. New York seems like a cool place. I might consider settling down in one of the suburbs. I'm sure it'll be really expensive though :uhno:. Thanks for the info. :)

It seems as if you have also mastered the way of the smilies art my
child :D.

This calls for a celebration: :highfive::banana::biglove::soexcited:.

Your old avatar reminded of one of my cousins growing up, and yeah I'm still trying to find a suitable avatar so mine will also be changing until I do.

GOT MY SECOND ACCEPTANCE today !!!!!!!!!!!!!

GEORGETOWN CLASS OF 2013 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its about time those things start rolling in :D.

At this point, SUNY Upstate College of Medicine and GEORGETOWN SCHOOL OF MEDICINE class of 2013!!

I actually have a choice to make :laugh:, I'm blessed.

Last edited:
so reading this thread from top to bottom i must say was entertaining...first your worried with lots of :(:(:(:( and then :D:D:D:D:D with mad exclamation points...lol but i was definitely rooting for you hoping you got in...and then YOU DID!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on both acceptances and hopefully many more (but i think you want to go to Georgetown ;))

GOT MY SECOND ACCEPTANCE today !!!!!!!!!!!!!

GEORGETOWN CLASS OF 2013 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its about time those things start rolling in :D.

At this point, SUNY Upstate College of Medicine and GEORGETOWN SCHOOL OF MEDICINE class of 2013!!

I actually have a choice to make :laugh:, I'm blessed.

Georgetown??? No Way! :uhno: SHUT...UP!!!...WOW.. Congratulations! :bow::bow:

so reading this thread from top to bottom i must say was entertaining...first your worried with lots of :(:(:(:( and then :D with mad exclamation points...lol but i was definitely rooting for you hoping you got in...and then YOU DID!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on both acceptances and hopefully many more (but i think you want to go to Georgetown ;))

Really? even if you got a full scholarship at SUNY?

Georgetown??? No Way! :uhno: SHUT...UP!!!...WOW.. Congratulations! :bow::bow:

This must be the most smiley face infested thread on SDN :laugh:.

wow; nice work. congrats on your success, gl w/ stanford! on their point system they really, really, favor leadership experience and research so you've got a great shot.

full ride to SUNY?? niiiiice...mmm yeah it might change my mind, would have to buy a lot of sweaters :rolleyes:

Yes, the weather isn't that favorable but I loved Syracuse and the scholarship is the deal of a life time at any Medical school. I'm hoping to get money from Georgetown.

wow; nice work. congrats on your success, gl w/ stanford! on their point system they really, really, favor leadership experience and research so you've got a great shot.

Thanks :), oh yeah I saw that admissions point system program in the Stanford thread, I'm still trying to figure out how it got there :confused:.