I AM A REtail Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and every Rx is a problem.

Effing customers come at 4:55 with 2 scripts, I close at 5, don't get paid after 5, they expect their stuff. eff em, it sucks.:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you need a day off... to watch a High School performance of West Side Story or go shoot 9-ball with an 90yr old lady...and lose. I need to do some cowboying, myself...

Best of luck,
Fly

Effing customers come at 4:55 with 2 scripts, I close at 5, don't get paid after 5, they expect their stuff. eff em, it sucks.:mad:

Welcome to the wonderful world of retail pharmacy!!! Where have you been for the last ten years. I bet hiding out in some cushy hospital sitting on your butt!

Trust me it is no different or better anywhere else. As they say "thats the job".

Members don't see this ad :)
it's better than someone coming in literally 2 minutes before closing and being a new patient meaning that we have to input all their information as well as their insurance information and THEN process it

...oh and there was an insurance rejection so we had to call their insurance company to sort it out, only then could we process it, fill the script, and ring him out

I know the feeling of staying later than wanting. While back while i was still in college as a pharmacy cashier the Pharmacist i worked with got in a car crash earlier that week. Wrecked his Mercedes, made a beautiful "U" out of it. His back was killing him, but had to stay over one particular day during flu season because the overnight pharmacist was late by several hours. So for him it was a 10hr+ day when it should of only been an 8hr day.

Our job is to help people. There are times when i'm absolutely frustrated at patients for there mishaps or demands, but then there are times when they reward us with compliments, pizza, lol, whatever. Anyways.

Try playing Halo 3 for venting purposes. I find it VERY useful during school now.

Always a plus. Although I did have a customer show me a nice stab wound right below the apex of his heart. Lucky man.....well as lucky as you can be while being stabbed.

I had one show me his stab wound, and ask me if neosporin and a band aid would work on it.

Every Rx is a problem? Doubt it, maybe your doing something wrong. All jobs have problems and things that get annoying. Ive definetly gotten annoyed in retail too, but so has everyone else I know whos ever worked a day in their life at anything.

Its a job, your not paying to be there- theyre paying you.

Your lucky you even have a job. I hung out with a couple young grads last night that were complaining about being laid off. One an ibanker and the other a freshly minted law student from a presitigious university that is struggling to find work.

Ill guess your making over 100 grand and are somewhere in your 20s. You have no idea how lucky you really are.

some hardcore ***, ahem you know,
would relieve a lot of stress

Members don't see this ad :)

Can't you simply explain to them that in less than five minutes, you're closing and that they can come back tomorrow to have their script filled? I know that's what the pharmacists I work with do...pharmacy closes at 9 pm and a patient or two comes in at 8:55...we tell them we're in the process of closing, but that if they want, they can just leave the script with us and have it be among the first to be filled the following day. I understand the importance of sacrifice every once in a while for patients, especially if they are in dire need of medication for chronic pain or a disease state such as diabetes/hypertension...for these, you should try and go the extra mile not with the mentality of "i'm not getting paid for this extra time" but for purely altruistic reasons. These patients, at times, will be grateful and remember you. Now, if they're coming in with a script for a condition that's not life-threatening or of much importance, such as erectile dysfunction, then just tell them to leave it or come back tomorrow to have it filled. Don't even bother with those...while your responsibility as a pharmacist is great one, you shouldn't and don't have to sacrifice your personal "off duty/me time" all the time.

What do you do if you have a life? I don't live pharmacy.

I have a family to go home to and a time to be there, why should I fill scripts for people who wait till the last minute? Is that my fault, should that cut into my time?

These problems are all due to passive aggressive people wanting me to fix their "no refill problem", or I have to go to work can you do it now problems, procrastination problems. BS!:scared:

Some girl calls up, wants to refill BC, has no more, calls at what she thinks is 2 minutes till 5, pharmacy is closed, cashier cashed out, comp printing sun reports, wants me to leave her script with customer service at the front of store, which is illegal, then she proceeds to school me on how she works in the store, knows when the pharmacy closes and it's 2 till 5, I say it's 5 sorry, I'm going home and can't leave your script.

so I can home and drank.

That sounds like everyday retail for ya. Theres a reason why they typically pay better than most other jobs. How long have you been working retail?

If it's that big of a deal, just say you are out of stock. Then if they ask if it's because you are about to close, tell them, "No, I work on commission, why would I take money out of my own pocket?"

I bet that'd work....

or even better, a store that never closes like mine! Then the store gets really busy and you begin to feel bad about leaving a comrade with a **** ton to do

can't you just tell them to come back tomorrow?

I'm so good with customers :laugh:

I don't get what the big deal is. I get to work 1/2 to 1 hour early and sometimes leave a little later to make sure everything runs smoothly. The patient will usually be grateful if you stay a little later anyway. We're highly paid health professionals -- why not act like it?

Just because you don't get paid that extra few minutes? Have you seen how many extra hours doctors and lawyers put in without pay?

May 1st was controlled substances inventory day -- all of the Rx managers had to attend a managers' meeting from 9 to 2 and then we either came into the pharmacy and stayed extra late to do the inventory or come in extra early before opening to complete it -- all without being paid! It's just part of the job. We can't bill for everything.

One of the things I do have to give my company credit for is that for those people who HAVE to have their RX tonight, I would just offer to scan it and send it over to another store (there are at least a few 24 hr stores nearby to every other store here)....or if you don't have that capability, give them directions to the nearest 24 hr store and let them drop the script off themself.

I probably would stay an extra few minutes for someone if it's an ER script and they honestly do need the pain meds and/or abx that evening, but for maintenance meds that were dated 3 weeks ago, ....I'm not as inclined to go out of my way.

No worries!! Don't let the negative attitudes get under your skin.

One of the things I do have to give my company credit for is that for those people who HAVE to have their RX tonight, I would just offer to scan it and send it over to another store (there are at least a few 24 hr stores nearby to every other store here)....or if you don't have that capability, give them directions to the nearest 24 hr store and let them drop the script off themself.

I probably would stay an extra few minutes for someone if it's an ER script and they honestly do need the pain meds and/or abx that evening, but for maintenance meds that were dated 3 weeks ago, ....I'm not as inclined to go out of my way.

No worries!! Don't let the negative attitudes get under your skin.

Good advice.;)

oh I thought you all would catch the sarcasm. my bad :D
Seriously... some pharmacies don't have advanced technology like that.

Use the "rolleyes" smilie. That usually works for sarcasm :rolleyes:. Note the sarcasm, :p.

I don't get what the big deal is. I get to work 1/2 to 1 hour early and sometimes leave a little later to make sure everything runs smoothly. The patient will usually be grateful if you stay a little later anyway. We're highly paid health professionals -- why not act like it?

Just because you don't get paid that extra few minutes? Have you seen how many extra hours doctors and lawyers put in without pay?

May 1st was controlled substances inventory day -- all of the Rx managers had to attend a managers' meeting from 9 to 2 and then we either came into the pharmacy and stayed extra late to do the inventory or come in extra early before opening to complete it -- all without being paid! It's just part of the job. We can't bill for everything.

Ok fine, but that is your choice. I choose not to come early and stay late for no pay.

And that's not part of the job. What about the job of husband, wife, mother, father?

Pharmacist need to band together for our benefit. We need pension plans, lunch hours, more supportive help, breaks in private without public intervention, reasonable expectations of how fast we can get the scripts out safely, computer systems that work...

Anyway, I have a life, see ya's.:smuggrin:

Pharmacist need to band together for our benefit. We need pension plans, lunch hours, more supportive help, breaks in private without public intervention, reasonable expectations of how fast we can get the scripts out safely, computer systems that work...

I really agree with alot of that.

Ahhh. The "unionization" of pharmacy.

I think pharmacists are not the most organized group, especially in the retail arena. Companies know this and seek to provide disincentives to unionization, aka more money (the golden handcuffs).

It's ok to vent with fellow pharmacy workers. Some customers are not very understanding (i have a rule about not going to any business if they are closing in less than an hour). They don't care if you work 12 hour shifts with a 30 minute lunch (which they normally don't even get) and are dying to get home. It's funny how people drop off prescriptions 2 minutes before closing when they've had the rx for a week and SUDDENLY it's urgent. But, if they went to a bank 2 minutes before closing and were turned away, they would understand. People will wait an hour to be sat at a restaurant on a saturday night, but if you tell the it will be 20 minutes for their rx at 5pm on a weekday, it's outrageous. It's usually the same group of people that drop off 5 minutes before closing. I know exactly why they do it to. They know that you will get their rx quick cause you're going home. That's why you should tell them they will have to come back tomorrow and you need at least 15 minutes to fill a rx. Be careful though, I know a tech that had a coffee mug thrown at him and had to go out on workers comp for telling a guest they had to come back the next day!:scared:

I know a tech that had a coffee mug thrown at him and had to go out on workers comp for telling a guest they had to come back the next day!:scared:

What is wrong with people? There are just so many rude people out there. I don't know why people think they can do things like that and get away with them.

What is wrong with people? There are just so many rude people out there. I don't know why people think they can do things like that and get away with them.

What irritates me is that most people would never act like that in a doctor's office, but at a pharmacy....well we are just clerks that run the register, right....

Would you tell that to a mom carying a sick infant with an rx for amoxicillin? "I am sorry maam I just worked 14 hours and we are closing in one minute please take your sick infant and go to a 24 hour pharmacy."

I worked a with a pharmacist who did just that and then the lady started crying and the pharmicist said fine I will fill it and she said nevermind and stormed off. I felt so bad and I would never do that to someone.

I can understand if the rx was written 5 days ago or an non urgent medication but can you really turn away a the young mom with a sick infant who just got out of emergency room after waiting 8 hours there?

Would you tell that to a mom carying a sick infant with an rx for amoxicillin? "I am sorry maam I just worked 14 hours and we are closing in one minute please take your sick infant and go to a 24 hour pharmacy."

I worked a with a pharmacist who did just that and then the lady started crying and the pharmicist said fine I will fill it and she said nevermind and stormed off. I felt so bad and I would never do that to someone.

I can understand if the rx was written 5 days ago or an non urgent medication but can you really turn away a the young mom with a sick infant who just got out of emergency room after waiting 8 hours there?

Good point. I've known pharmacists who, when approached by a customer in the parking-lot, after closing, would go back and fill an albuterol inhaler for a child. It was a holiday we closed early on, and this mother had to work earlier in the day, and her kid lost his albuterol inhaler. Sometimes you do it so you could rest a little easier knowing you did something good for someone...

It's ok to vent with fellow pharmacy workers. Some customers are not very understanding (i have a rule about not going to any business if they are closing in less than an hour). They don't care if you work 12 hour shifts with a 30 minute lunch (which they normally don't even get) and are dying to get home. It's funny how people drop off prescriptions 2 minutes before closing when they've had the rx for a week and SUDDENLY it's urgent. But, if they went to a bank 2 minutes before closing and were turned away, they would understand. People will wait an hour to be sat at a restaurant on a saturday night, but if you tell the it will be 20 minutes for their rx at 5pm on a weekday, it's outrageous. It's usually the same group of people that drop off 5 minutes before closing. I know exactly why they do it to. They know that you will get their rx quick cause you're going home. That's why you should tell them they will have to come back tomorrow and you need at least 15 minutes to fill a rx. Be careful though, I know a tech that had a coffee mug thrown at him and had to go out on workers comp for telling a guest they had to come back the next day!:scared:

good post...very true.

I would never turn anyone away at closing if it is an urgent script say from the ER or urgent care center. Everything else can wait untill tomorrow.

I just feel like a victim of passive aggressive people who don't keep track of their own lives then make it my problem.

It's unfair of people to expect last minute accurate service. Don't people know we have lives outside of pharmacy, people expecting us to come home on time.

What do you do if you have obligations and a time to be home? How do you tell a person, sorry, can't fill your script, I'm going home on time?

I don't like the conflict of having to be home on time yet feeling obligated to fill a last minute scragler's Rx. It's amazing how these people make it to he pharmacy at closing time.