I am a dental re-applicant and I am worried...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted714664

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am a reapplicant for dental school and my stats are 22 AA 22 PAT 23 TS with a 3.17 overall gpa and 3.0 sci gpa.

I have 100+ shadowing hours with a general dentist
- 100+ hrs working for a general dentist, which includes assisting and front office work
- 400+ hrs of orthodontist shadowing
- started my own volunteer work cutting hair for the homeless and providing them with showers and food
- 400+ hrs of research
- 200+ hrs of community service.
- worked as a tutor, basketball referee, barber.

I applied too 15+ schools and only got waitlisted at one for an interview. I haven't heard back from the rest.
I am stuck in a tough situation because I cannot afford post-bacc or a masters program because of my family's financial situation... Does anyone think I have a shot still or any advice on what I should do at this point? I am in need of desperate help and advice because I want to help my mom who got laid off from work and she is getting old. I am very passionate about dentistry and I want to help improve her oral health as well as others.

Thank you for any advice given!

What schools did you apply to? Your background sounds great and your high DAT might make up for your low GPA altho a 3.0 sgpa is pushing it.

What schools did you apply to? Your background sounds great and your high DAT might make up for your low GPA altho a 3.0 sgpa is pushing it.

Hi Yasc, I applied to ASDOH, MOSDOH, USC, UCSF, UOP, LECOM-FL, MWU-IL, MWU-AZ, ROSEMAN, TEMP, TCDM, TUF, BU, MQT, WESTU, UNLV, UNE, and NYU. What do you think I should do or my chances are?

Members don't see this ad :)

I am taking biochem right now so hopefully it pushes my sci gpa slightly up with an A.

Hi Yasc, I applied to ASDOH, MOSDOH, USC, UCSF, UOP, LECOM-FL, MWU-IL, MWU-AZ, ROSEMAN, TEMP, TCDM, TUF, BU, MQT, WESTU, UNLV, UNE, and NYU. What do you think I should do or my chances are?

I think you made the right decision applying to mostly private schools you'd have the most chances of getting in there. I think you should just worry about getting a A in biochem rn and updating your app later and hope for postdecember interviews i think you'll get some.

Reactions: 2 users
You and I have very similar stats (in my signature), except I have a touch more volunteering, while you have significantly more shadowing. I think you have a decent shot; your story is compelling, and a personal statement and experiences reflecting that will serve you well. The solid DAT is also of benefit. Of the 6 schools that overlap between us, I have heard from 2.

I think there is quite a lot of potential for post-December interviews for you, so don't lose hope just yet! Like @yasc said, focus on scoring well in biochem, continue doing what you're doing, and I believe you'll be good to go.

Reactions: 1 users
I am confident you will get interviews after December the 3rd. At this point, there is nothing you can do. If you can do anything, register for more science classes for the spring semester so you can increase your GPA just in case the worse happened.
I hope you get an A on Biochem.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I think you made the right decision applying to mostly private schools you'd have the most chances of getting in there. I think you should just worry about getting a A in biochem rn and updating your app later and hope for postdecember interviews i think you'll get some.

Thank you for the motivation and uplifting encouragement! I wish you the best!

You and I have very similar stats (in my signature), except I have a touch more volunteering, while you have significantly more shadowing. I think you have a decent shot; your story is compelling, and a personal statement and experiences reflecting that will serve you well. The solid DAT is also of benefit. Of the 6 schools that overlap between us, I have heard from 2.

I think there is quite a lot of potential for post-December interviews for you, so don't lose hope just yet! Like @yasc said, focus on scoring well in biochem, continue doing what you're doing, and I believe you'll be good to go.

Did you send a letter of interest or called them that maybe benefitted you? I sure hope post-December is kind to me. I wish you the best also! Hopefully, we all get in!

I am confident you will get interviews after December the 3rd. At this point, there is nothing you can do. If you can do anything, register for more science classes for the spring semester so you can increase your GPA just in case the worse happened.
I hope you get an A on Biochem.

Best of luck!
Hello there! I was thinking about that but I graduated already so I am just taking additional science classes at community college. Biochem is probably my last one for now. Do you know of someone in my similar circumstance that did?

I noticed you did post-bacc. Is that your overall gpa posted on your profile w the post-bacc or without the post-bacc if you don't mind asking?

Did you send a letter of interest or called them that maybe benefitted you? I sure hope post-December is kind to me. I wish you the best also! Hopefully, we all get in!
I did not send any letter of interest or call at all. I tried to keep myself busy because I felt schools are already dealing with a huge ton of mail and phone calls anyway. I would suggest trying to be patient.

I will say that I think what helped me the most is sending in my application the day it opened in June. I kept hearing that applying early was key, and I really believe that is true after getting all these interviews with my stats.

I noticed you did post-bacc. Is that your overall gpa posted on your profile w the post-bacc or without the post-bacc if you don't mind asking?
My overall does include my informal post-bacc. I started out with a 3.02 after graduation in 2014 and raised it to 3.18 after retaking some classes and taking brand-new-to-me classes. I’ve been taking classes and working full-time since summer 2016, so it has been a long road for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
My overall does include my informal post-bacc. I started out with a 3.02 after graduation in 2014 and raised it to 3.18 after retaking some classes and taking brand-new-to-me classes. I’ve been taking classes and working full-time since summer 2016, so it has been a long road for sure.

Congrats on all the hard work and constant grind. I wish you the best! Hope your interviews turned out well and you hear good news in decemeber :soexcited::clap:

When did you submit your application? And what's your state of residency? I think these two heavily influence the schools on your list.
While your GPAs are low, your DAT is pretty high so that's really good! Plus you have a wide range of ECs-- I think your GPAs (and maybe date of submission) have held you back from getting pre-Dec interviews, but don't lose hope for post-Dec ones! Good luck :)

When did you submit your application? And what's your state of residency? I think these two heavily influence the schools on your list.
While your GPAs are low, your DAT is pretty high so that's really good! Plus you have a wide range of ECs-- I think your GPAs (and maybe date of submission) have held you back from getting pre-Dec interviews, but don't lose hope for post-Dec ones! Good luck :)

Hello! Thank you for you reply! I submitted all my apps in July I believe. I am a CA resident. Do you think I should just sit tight and wait or should I call up some schools? I really hope I have a good chance. The only thing holding me back is my financial situation but I hope taking those extra classes to boost my gpa shows maturity, even though it's not a formal post bacc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello! Thank you for you reply! I submitted all my apps in July I believe. I am a CA resident. Do you think I should just sit tight and wait or should I call up some schools? I really hope I have a good chance. The only thing holding me back is my financial situation but I hope taking those extra classes to boost my gpa shows maturity, even though it's not a formal post bacc.

I know Roseman rejects applicants if they don't have at least a 3.0 science (?) GPA for their last 60 units sooo....as for the others, did you get application complete emails? Are they under review? Also, do you have any red flags on your app (besides the GPAs)?

I would probably just email them with an update of your shadowing/volunteering, something like "Hello Admissions, Here are the things I have done since submitting my application in July. I have gained more experience shadowing/volunteering ...etc. I am also enrolled in a Biochemistry class, and will receive a grade soon, which I will upload to AADSAS. I hope this information can be added to my application file. Please let me know if any other information is required." Send something like this. I know it's not a status update, but it'll just remind them that you're an applicant lol

I know Roseman rejects applicants if they don't have at least a 3.0 science (?) GPA for their last 60 units sooo....as for the others, did you get application complete emails? Are they under review? Also, do you have any red flags on your app (besides the GPAs)?

I would probably just email them with an update of your shadowing/volunteering, something like "Hello Admissions, Here are the things I have done since submitting my application in July. I have gained more experience shadowing/volunteering ...etc. I am also enrolled in a Biochemistry class, and will receive a grade soon, which I will upload to AADSAS. I hope this information can be added to my application file. Please let me know if any other information is required." Send something like this. I know it's not a status update, but it'll just remind them that you're an applicant lol

What would be considered red flags necessarily? And I think I fulfilled roseman's 60 units requirement because they haven't said anything else otherwise.

And okay! I'll probably do that

What would be considered red flags necessarily? And I think I fulfilled roseman's 60 units requirement because they haven't said anything else otherwise.

And okay! I'll probably do that

Could be like a really low DAT score and another that's inflating your AA to 22 - this would make your AA high yes, but the low score wouldn't meet the cut offs for schools and could lead to auto-reject. Or what has the trend been in your grades? I just realized you said you were a reapplicant, did you rewrite a new PS, and did you add more things from your previous application or did you not change it much? Are all your LORs strong, or is one of them weak? This could really hold you back. These are what I thought off of the top of my head but it could very well be none of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.