Hypofrac for intermediate risk prostate - the new standard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know who Bentzen is yeesh. His conclusions are exactly what I'm concluding too. I'm trying to say that there's a rather inchoate alpha/beta value floating out there, but *specifically* appertaining to 78/39 vs 60/20... where

78*(1+2/x)=60*(1+3/x) ...

and solving for x (the alpha/beta) you get 1.33333.....

Dr Bentzen does not refute me anywhere (nor come to a different conclusion). You can plug in 4 for x, and then 60/20 is "weaker" than 78/39. You can plug in 1 for x, and then 60/20 is "stronger." Of course x=1.33, they're equal. And so on and so forth. I feel like I'm not being as clear as I should...

No, you're not being unclear -- I understood what you were saying. However, it is funny that you linked a paper that explicitly states that time considerations should be taken into effect, and when they are, even with an alpha/beta that is 3 times as high as 1.33, the CHHIP regimen remains isoeffective. And the SBRT regimens even moreso.

Members don't see this ad.

No, you're not being unclear -- I understood what you were saying. However, it is funny that you linked a paper that explicitly states that time considerations should be taken into effect, and when they are, even with an alpha/beta that is 3 times as high as 1.33, the CHHIP regimen remains isoeffective. And the SBRT regimens even moreso.

I'm not sure if you're actually understanding. But, I'm a master of radiobiology, and let me break it down to you ...

What they means by all of the alpha-beta/Tpot mumbo jumbo is that it will take most of these community practice physicians coercion, fear of penalty, and possibly shame before they choose a lower reimbursed treatment in the fee for service era. (ref: Withers, et al 1983, Red Journal)

So we have two treatments with equal efficacy, but one seems to carry with it a slightly increased risk of urinary toxicity (based on all the different schema/studies we have) and has less data overall to prove long-term safety. If I were diagnosed with prostate cancer I can say with 100% confidence I would not choose hypofractionation, and as a result I don't push it on my patients. I do hypofractionate nearly all of my breast cancer patients (the exception would be those for whom we couldn't get hot spots below 107%), as the data showed a benefit to hypofractionation.

We "community practice physicians" didn't come up with the reimbursement schema for radiation delivery, and it's not fair or accurate to suggest the only motivation for sticking with traditional fractionation for prostate cancer is reimbursement. You can try as hard as you want to "shame" us, but the data is the data, and I do not feel comfortable offering something to patients I would not want for myself.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Let me say first that CHHIP looked at 60/20 vs 74/37; the paper I linked to looked at 78/39 as the standard comparative regimen (just wanted to state that at the outset to remind myself as much as anything).

Ok well I somewhat regret linking to this paper now as it's become an idee fixe for us but now I see your concern. I was linking it just to show a wide range of alpha/betas for prostate CA, do a little back-of-the-envelope calc to show some caution in wholesale acceptance of 60/20 might be in order, and then move on from there. Per Bentzen, 60/20 would remain isoeffective (or be superior) to 78/39 but this is based on one key assumption at the outset (see Table 2): that the bNED for 78/39 (the comparative regimen) is 70% @5y. CHHIP is showing us that the bNED for 74/37 at 5y is 88.3%. So Bentzen needs to go back the drawing board and plug that new data back in to all the equations which come after Equation 1. Bentzen in his Equation 1 arrived at what I calculated where e.g.

78*(1+2/x)=60*(1+3/x)
Dc = 78
dc= 2
De = 60
de= 3
x = alpha/beta ratio

So substituting in the variables you get: Dc*(1+dc/x)=De(1+de/x)

Solving for x:
x=(De*de-Dc*dc)/(Dc-De)

Which is exactly Bentzen's equation 1 (I had never seen it before so I'm fortunate that I came up with it independently lol). His remaining equations after that attempt of course to "finesse" based on reasons I won't go into here, but this is a good starting point for gedankenexperiments regarding doses and fractionation in prostate cancer. Bentzen will need to go back and substitute the new data from CHHIP, most importantly with a starting point of 5y bNED of 88.3% with 74/37 vs Bentzen's theoretical 5y bNED of 70% with 78/39; this will skew the outcome, but I don't know how or which way honestly.

Regarding the effect of treatment time, this should not factor into our discussions too much. The difference in local control at these alpha/betas at these treatment times (53 days for 78/39 vs 26 days for 60/20, again see Table 2 in Bentzen) will be minimal. Especially as the alpha/betas get very low. Of course, Bentzen says while there is some doubt, he seems to support the hypothesis "...that overall treatment time affects the outcome of prostate cancer radiation therapy." It affects it of course favorably for local control with shorter schedules. But again, the affect will be minimal (the fraction size becomes much more predominant especially as it goes up and up)--you can see this because, again looking at Table 2, he *does not* calculate the treatment time factor (δprolif = 0) for a/b=0.47 as he knows (I assume) there would be no treatment time factor of import at an alpha/beta that low.

AND AGAIN... the point which is being glossed over even by Bentzen... is that we are focusing on 5y LC rates. This is a slow-growing tumor. We are using PSAs as the surrogate for LC. 5y LC rates tell us very little. 10y LC rates would tell us much more. Wanting this much followup for HNSCC or lung CA or even breast CA would be silly. Wanting it for prostate cancer seems reasonable in my opinion... based on the radiobiology!
What they means by all of the alpha-beta/Tpot mumbo jumbo
Just remember... well remember it or not but it's true... the alpha/beta and the Tpot are the complete basis of every normal tissue side effect and tumor effect you see in the clinic and in followup. It's not really mumbo jumbo in that regard. The whole reason we are involved in hypofractionating prostate CA now is based on radiolobiology and the alpha/beta!

ADDITIONAL EDIT: The CHHIP might be speaking to us, even at 5y followup. Keep in mind 57/19 in the CHHIP (1077 of the 3216 men got 57 Gy) was not proven to be isoeffective. This shows the sensitivity to dosing/fractionation for a very low alpha/beta tumor and at least hints at the possibility (in my opinion) that 60/20 might be shown to not be isoeffective over time as well.

Last edited:
Wow. That escalated quickly...

I can't even follow who is arguing for what, but I'd caution the use of radiobiologic models and theories to "prove" anything.

Perhaps some prostate cancers are even different from others and therefore have different "a/B"? Gasp! (quotes intended to emphasize the completely theoretical nature of this concept)

Perhaps some prostate cancers are even different from others and therefore have different "a/B"? Gasp!
They would! Clinical experience tells us this: Gleason eights grow faster than Gleason sixes for example. They'd have differing alpha/betas. Thus, you'd want an all-encompassing regimen designed to maximize LC, minimize side effects... to "hedge bets" against differing alpha/betas. I submit 81 Gy/45 fx is an attractive choice in this regard ;)

Reactions: 1 user
They would! Clinical experience tells us this: Gleason eights grow faster than Gleason sixes for example. They'd have differing alpha/betas. Thus, you'd want an all-encompassing regimen designed to maximize LC, minimize side effects... to "hedge bets" against differing alpha/betas. I submit 81 Gy/45 fx is an attractive choice in this regard ;)

I'll be your Vice President.

I apologize -- I had a rough week and was overly sarcastic here. I'm sure people have genuine reasons to not pursue hypofractionation, however, I do not think all of these reasons are necessarily accurate.

I will say that I hear people frequently talking about the "higher toxicity" in the RTOG 0415 trial. That's legitimate, but never do those people mention that the conventional dose on that trial was 73.8. Do you ever use that dose? We already know from RTOG 0126 that 79.2 has increased risk of toxicity over 70.2 (interestingly, not validated by patient report). When you talk with patients who have intermediate risk disease, do you present to them the option of dose-escalation, or do you clearly state -- being evidence driven -- that dose-escalation has never shown an overall survival benefit, only an increase in toxicity. And that the followup on the dose-escalation trials (published) leaves open the room for a hidden high rate of late toxicities, and we just don't have the answer?

Even in CHHIP, sure, there was a higher rate of acute toxicity -- there was also a higher rate of toxicity in the standard arm at 2 years. Yes, it was 4% vs 2% but I hear people getting excited about tiny changes in risk when it goes the other way. Everything washed out at 5 years.

In any case, do whatever you want for these patients.

You just care about keeping old men under beam for 2 months in a FFS environment :rolleyes:
You got me. Actually it's way more self-serving than that. I hate patient contact. And the best way to honor that compulsion is to induce as few side effects as possible in the patients I treat (that way they bother me as little as possible you see). I'd like the toxicity of XRT to be roughly equal that of the routine chest X-ray. I'm working on it.

You got me. Actually it's way more self-serving than that. I hate patient contact. And the best way to honor that compulsion is to induce as few side effects as possible in the patients I treat (that way they bother me as little as possible you see). I'd like the toxicity of XRT to be roughly equal that of the routine chest X-ray. I'm working on it.
Maybe HDR-monotherapy is the way to go. Delivered under general anaesthesia. You won't need to talk to the patient at all!