Husel suing Trinity Health / Mt Carmel Health System for $20M+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeebythelake

I'm not a word-mincer
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Well the next step is for him to sue his former employer for millions in defamation. They basically threw him under thr bus and made many comments basically accusing him of murdering his patients. This is the reason why smart employers keep their mouth shut and say "can't comment on pending litigation".

Make them bleed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember reading a couple of the “sample case” in which Husel was accused of giving a large dose of narcotic to kill the patient. Some of the doses were fairly benign if I remember correctly….like 250-500mcgs of fentanyl for intubation and to sedate a vented patient. How did this hysteria even make it to trial?

Reactions: 3 users
I remember reading a couple of the “sample case” in which Husel was accused of giving a large dose of narcotic to kill the patient. Some of the doses were fairly benign if I remember correctly….like 250-500mcgs of fentanyl for intubation and to sedate a vented patient. How did this hysteria even make it to trial?

Overzealous district attorney backed by a spineless hospital leadership that threw Husel under the bus, and respected physicians like Dr Ely that sold his reputation for a paycheck. Enough fentamyl to knock out an elephant? Rubbish.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I doubt there is any precedent for something like this, but I agree with others. Seems like a fairly low number considering everything they put him through - complete loss of wages, his license, and future earnings along with the emotional damage.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a feeling that Trinity will settle this. I think a lot of internal documents and emails revealed during discovery will be very damaging to the hospital. By my observer's eyes it does appear to be an attempt to cover up the deaths before the leadership made an about-face and threw Husel under the bus.

only 20m? thats not even that much. i wouldve asked for 100m for all the BS to go thru and lost income, and emotional/health damage. 20m after fees, taxes etc is like 10M. not even much more than his wages invested

Reactions: 1 users
Having to explain it on all future licensure and credentialing paperwork is worth an easy 20m on its own.

Hopefully he can just retire and not worry about any of that.
Yeah, if I just had my name dragged through the mud all over the lay press, had who knows what slander spread behind semi- closed doors, and have been out of clinical practice for the past few years, I think I might just quit medicine entirely. Maybe after the settlement, he can teach at a med school, if he still wants to do something in the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
The truth about
Yeah, if I just had my name dragged through the mud all over the lay press, had who knows what slander spread behind semi- closed doors, and have been out of clinical practice for the past few years, I think I might just quit medicine entirely. Maybe after the settlement, he can teach at a med school, if he still wants to do something in the field.
Even assuming that he wanted to practice Medicine again, Who would hire him?

I love Trinity’s response.

“We know the courts just decided we were totally lying about everything, and we ruined this guys life - but we find his counter suite unfounded….total rubbish!”

Good try Trinity. Let’s see how it goes for you. You’ve already lost and are too dumb to notice that fact.

His team should call 1 witness, that Dr. Ely schmuck and ask them if his group or Vandy etc would hire Dr. Husel. And when he says no rest their case.

Husel never works again, he probably shouldn’t tbh, but still it’s clear the Hospital system tried to scapegoat him and get him tried for actual murder. He should win 20m and go retire with his family somewhere he can relax.

only 20m? thats not even that much. i wouldve asked for 100m for all the BS to go thru and lost income, and emotional/health damage. 20m after fees, taxes etc is like 10M. not even much more than his wages invested
Today I learned that money from a lawsuit settlement is taxable. For some reason I thought that the IRS didn't get a piece.

I actually know Husel and have spoken with him since his trial completed. This man has perspective on life and whats most important. His calm and poise is something to be admired. I have told him many times motivational speaking is in his future. He has lost everything and steadfastly defended himself while those he trusted in the workplace created a seek and destroy mission. Definitely deserves a movie and book deal. This is a faith driven man who will get his worth. Never has their been a murder case were 14 counts of murder and not one of them stick.

Reactions: 16 users
His team should call 1 witness, that Dr. Ely schmuck and ask them if his group or Vandy etc would hire Dr. Husel. And when he says no rest their case.

Husel never works again, he probably shouldn’t tbh, but still it’s clear the Hospital system tried to scapegoat him and get him tried for actual murder. He should win 20m and go retire with his family somewhere he can relax.

Strategy 💯

Reactions: 1 user
Today I learned that money from a lawsuit settlement is taxable. For some reason I thought that the IRS didn't get a piece.
Sometimes they don't. Lost wages- yes. Personal injury or loss of capital or pain and suffering-no.

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder if any of the families will sue… the threshold for evidence is lower in a civil trial. If there are outstanding lawsuits 20m might not be enough. If it’s a jury civil trial all bets could be off… I’ve heard of juries doing some crazy stupid stuff

I wonder if any of the families will sue… the threshold for evidence is lower in a civil trial. If there are outstanding lawsuits 20m might not be enough. If it’s a jury civil trial all bets could be off… I’ve heard of juries doing some crazy stupid stuff
From my understanding of the initial trial, none of the families had any issues with how care was administered.

Also if anybody is interested in Ely's point of view, here's an interesting exchange between him and the defense expert witness. 'Euthanasia Pivots on Intent:' Physician Witnesses in Husel Trial Speak Out

Reactions: 1 user
It's interesting that he believes in chest wall rigidity.
He's a pulmonologist. I don't think he has any qualifications that allow him to speak to what an anesthesiologist should or shouldn't be doing, even in the ICU. He's never pushed fentanyl in his life and clearly has an agenda.

From my understanding of the initial trial, none of the families had any issues with how care was administered.

Also if anybody is interested in Ely's point of view, here's an interesting exchange between him and the defense expert witness. 'Euthanasia Pivots on Intent:' Physician Witnesses in Husel Trial Speak Out

This was one of my fears; That someone who doesn’t actually understand the interpersonal variation in opioid pharmacodynamics and tolerance to decree that you must start at 50mcg’s q15min for end of life/withdrawal of care and slowly work your way up so there’s no way you could do “more harm than good” all the while doing just that by prolonging suffering.

What a joke; here Mr. On 250mcg’s/hr, your 50mcgs of relief.

It is interesting to me reading that exchange with Dr. Ely. As an anesthesiologist knowing what I know and see in the OR with opioids and variable response, when Dr. Ely says he’s ‘protecting the vulnerable’ and starting with 50-100mcg all of the time without taking anything else into account, I feel he is at times ensuring suffering.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I actually know Husel and have spoken with him since his trial completed. This man has perspective on life and whats most important. His calm and poise is something to be admired. I have told him many times motivational speaking is in his future. He has lost everything and steadfastly defended himself while those he trusted in the workplace created a seek and destroy mission. Definitely deserves a movie and book deal. This is a faith driven man who will get his worth. Never has their been a murder case were 14 counts of murder and not one of them stick.

Hook him up with Netflix

It is interesting to me reading that exchange with Dr. Ely. As an anesthesiologist knowing what I know and see in the OR with opioids and variable response, when Dr. Ely says he’s ‘protecting the vulnerable’ and starting with 50-100mcg all of the time without taking anything else into account, I feel he is at times ensuring suffering.
100%. I have had to console nurses who were so distraught by their patients suffering from inadequate opioids at end of life.

I typically place orders along the lines of 100mcg fentanyl q5 mins PRN. For 10+ doses. Keep giving the meds until the pain or dyspnea stops. I genuinely wonder if this guys knows how much actual pain he would cause in this world if we had to comply by his bs. Chest wall rigidity?? Get F*cked

Reactions: 5 users
100%. I have had to console nurses who were so distraught by their patients suffering from inadequate opioids at end of life.

I typically place orders along the lines of 100mcg fentanyl q5 mins PRN. For 10+ doses. Keep giving the meds until the pain or dyspnea stops. I genuinely wonder if this guys knows how much actual pain he would cause in this world if we had to comply by his bs. Chest wall rigidity?? Get F*cked
Yep my usual is msir 4-12 mg q5min prn unlimited doses. I tell the newer rns who balk at the upper range of dosing that the only harm that can be done is under treatment of symptoms.

Reactions: 2 users