Husband is Irish, I'm American - Residency in Ireland/England?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if someone could tell me if US Med school graduates are able to apply for residency in other countries. My husband is Irish and I'm American and because of 9/11 there is a serious chance he may not get residency here. I wouldn't mind moving as we are expecting our first child this July and I'm currently disgruntled with medicine in the US, as well as with the current situation Bush has gotten us into.

Has anyone from the US ever gone to Europe to fulfill their residency requirements? We would like to move to England and since I graduate this May, I would be applying with the class behind me since I'll be taking time off to be with our baby.

I realize most people are applying to COME to the US, where as I would want to apply out of the US, but I can't seem to find any information on this.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be great.

Thank you so much!

:confused: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

There are plenty of non-Irish doctors in the Irish healthcare system...although most come from countries where postgraduate training is lacking.

Doing an actual internship (PGY1) in Ireland or the UK will be very difficult as most intern positions are given to the graduates of the medical school the hospital is attached to. Most foreign doctors enter the system a bit further on in their training.

As for licensing, you should contact the Medical Council of Ireland (www.medicalcouncil.ie). You'll have to sit the TRAS exam to get temporary registration here. For the UK, contact the General Medical Council (www.gmc-uk.org) and as far as I know you'll have to sit the PLAB exam there in order to register.

Are you entitled to EU citizenship through your marriage to your husband? That would help too... :)

Hope this helps :)

Poety said:
Hi Everyone,
I wouldn't mind moving as we are expecting our first child this July and I'm currently disgruntled....with the current situation Bush has gotten us into.

Are blaming Bush for your pregnancy? Forget residency...call the tabloids!!

:laugh:
Yes, Bush to blame for your situation Im sure. You should write him a letter telling him so. :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Poety said:
I was just wondering if someone could tell me if US Med school graduates are able to apply for residency in other countries. :confused: :luck:

There's no such thing as residency in the UK and Ireland. You could take the PLAB and apply for Irish citizenship then work in England, but any training you did would have to be repeated if you return to the US.

That stuff about your husband not getting residency is BS. (+ You should complain about the French and Russians undermining the UN sanctions and funneling money to a dictator rather than about us.)

Believe me I know middle easterners who got residency after 9/11. In fact the person shared a name with one of the attackers. So your husband shouldn't have any problems.

I'm no expert on the matter, but I don't think your husband should have any complications getting residency in the USA. Actually, the 9/11 attacks have little to no effect on whether he'd get it or not. The physician I am in rotation's with is from Pakistan, actually he and his partner. Their both cardiologist, and were in NY on the day of the attack's, their amount of patients increased after-ward (and their names are like the obvious paki/desi names). A friend of mine from Holland is in her first year of residency here in Houston.

I don't see what one has to do with the other, IMO. Good Luck! Congratulations on your pregnancy.