All Branch Topic (ABT) Husband and wife dental HPSP recipients stationing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ext123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiance and I both applied for the HPSP dental scholarship. We plan to be married before our military commitment if we are both accepted. We are waiting to hear back but a concern both of us have is about stationing. I know military husbands and wives are not guaranteed to be stationed together but the military tries to keep you within a certain number of miles of each other except for during deployments. Is that the same for dental officers? How exactly would be go about this other than filing the marriage forms? Would we just list the same priority of base locations upon dental school graduation? Has anyone gone through something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Just let the detailed or your equivalent know that you're married. I doubt it will be an issue. More of a problem if you are from different branches.

Thank you vellnueve. The hope is we both get accepted to the same branch

Members don't see this ad :)
My fiance and I both applied for the HPSP dental scholarship. We plan to be married before our military commitment if we are both accepted. We are waiting to hear back but a concern both of us have is about stationing. I know military husbands and wives are not guaranteed to be stationed together but the military tries to keep you within a certain number of miles of each other except for during deployments. Is that the same for dental officers? How exactly would be go about this other than filing the marriage forms? Would we just list the same priority of base locations upon dental school graduation? Has anyone gone through something similar?

We had a husband and wife during my HPSP. Both were in my AEGD at Great Lakes. They were stationed in San Diego after the AEGD. He was on the USS Constellation, she was at the 32nd St Clinic. I think they try to keep you in separate clinics/billets, but you can be in the same location. Definitely make this known with the detailer.

Husband and wife in our clinic. They share an office. Have always been stationed together. 10 years running.

Thank you for the responses. We were fortunate to find out yesterday we both received the scholarship

When would we need to be married by to be stationed together? End of D3 year?

End of D3 should give you plenty of time. You would have to be married before you submit your assignment or "preferences" which happens around December time frame I believe (maybe January, I can't quite remember). You would also need to fill out some paperwork for the Married Army Couples Program (MACP). Then, when your assignment officer works on your assignments, he or she will know that you're MACP and will try to station you together. I will say, the Army Dental Corps does a great job keeping married couples together. Of course it's not guaranteed, but outside of deployments, it's highly likely married couples stay together.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile