Human biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brynhilde

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hullo,

I am a reformed lawyer seeking to make a career change. My goal is (was?) toward the MSW as the fastest way to get licensed for psychotherapy practice. Obviously I have had to do prerequisite coursework before I meet the standards for consideration.

The psychology courses were no problem. Even statistics, fear of which pushed me from psychology to law in the first place.

Now I am absolutely Freaking Out over anatomy and physiology, the last course I need to take before applying to the social work program. I have never taken a biology course before, not even in high school. I am very squeamish and we have to dissect things. I do words and music - this is as far as one can get from either. :scared:

Any advice or words of wisdom? I am very, very close to throwing in the towel, even though the first incremental goal is in sight.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Although I've certainly seen/heard of biology requirements as a pre-req before.. but one that requires dissection? Really? I'd check into that and see if a course for non-majors (aka, no dissection required) will suffice.

Well, yes, Pingouin, there is a human biology course for non-majors. Unfortunately, someone I know under other circumstances is the only professor who ever teaches it. I thought about it and thought about it but just could not get over my issues with a dual relationship. It would just be too weird and uncomfortable for me, if not both of us.

Way, way off topic, but love your screen name. It brings to mind a Warner Bros cartoon in which we learned that "Pingouins are practically chicken!" I hope that is what you were aiming for.

Members don't see this ad :)
have you started the class yet? i'm really good at psyching (haha, oh man, see what i did there with the wordplay??) myself out before things even get started. the reality is (in my opinion)...if you could make it through law school, i bet you can make it through an undergrad biology class. if it is really as terrible as you think it might be, you can then talk with the professor about it...surely there have been students before with your concerns. it just seems silly to even consider not taking it. if this is all that's holding you back, pull yourself together, suck it up, and kick this class's ass!

Yeah, right, ohyeahright, I am really good at psyching myself out, too. I registered in April and have been making myself and my friends crazy over this ever since. I am quite the extrovert so when in doubt take a survey. Those surveyed fall into two camps - the 'yeah, that's too bad, do it anyway' and the 'omg, how awful for you'. Meanwhile, I have this big ass pile of expensive, heavy, incomprehensible books and I start crying every time I look at it. I am an absolute wreck!

The first class was Friday. I probably looked like a deer in the headlights, I surely felt like one. I talked with the professor during the break. Just as you say, there are others with my concerns. He was lovely and even told me I could attend additional class and lab sessions to the extent I needed. That was a big, fat favor offered unbidden yet I freaked about that, too. On the more positive side, I found out I do not have to remove the skin from the subject of the dissection (that was a Really Huge fear). The professor stopped me in the parking lot after class to ask about my anxiety level. All that and It. Did. Not. Help. much at all. I am hoping, against hope, that attending the first lab will turn things around in me.

I corralled (I hope "bullied" isn't the right word) three other people to join me in a study group. At least one is pre-med so that will help. I know I just need to quit freaking out and just do it. I know I should follow the advice in my sig quote. I can usually push my own buttons to make things go right. I passed the bar exam first try. Still, it just isn't happening this time (yet???). Oy vey!

Last edited:
So when he said dissection.. of what? Fetal pig? Cat? Human cadaver?

That would be Cat, just like my housepets. Did I mention I have never dissected anything before in my life? Yes, I thought so, let me also add, I will not touch raw meat in the course of food preparation. To date it has been an amusing little quirk, now it is much more serious. Ick!

I know I am not unique with regard to freaking out and that I just need to get it together. Unfortunately, that is easier said than done and is just not happening yet.

Double glove to not smell like formalin, and be aware that if your hands then smell like latex gloves, toothpaste gets the smell out.

It doesn't take very long before you get used to the idea of what you're doing and just get in there and do it. Trust me.

Double glove to not smell like formalin, and be aware that if your hands then smell like latex gloves, toothpaste gets the smell out.

It doesn't take very long before you get used to the idea of what you're doing and just get in there and do it. Trust me.

Thank you, Pingouin, for the practical advice. IRL people surveyed also noted that I just need to detach. The difference is that You know about gloves and toothpaste!

I am going get a dictionary then endeavor to give Pathophysiology, the large and incomprehensible, another try. :eek: I will attend the first lab Wednesday. If I get through that, I will meet with my study group Thursday. If I don't drop the course and run away screaming, I will report back on my progress.

Thanks to everyone for the tough, yet kind, words.

I heard that rubbing Vick's under your nostrils helps reduce the fetid (if that's an accurate adjective) smell of formalin...um, if you don't mind me asking...what made you decide to go from law to psychotherapy?

After spilling my guts (ick!), a bit more self disclosure is surely no big deal. I wanted to be a psychologist from the time I discovered there was such a thing. Once I finished my undergrad in another field, I saw the stats requirements for grad school in psychology and was horrified and did the law thing instead. Kind of like where I am now as to A&P, come to think of it.

Fast forward - I got the second-highest grade in a huge lecture class when I took the stats course that stood in my way all those years ago, even though I know I am lousy at numbers. I am more interested in my coursework and other psychgeek reading than I have ever been in law or anything else I have pursued.

If I look at what I enjoy about my current work, it is the people part - guiding, persuading, coaching to their own answers. It pleases me and I am good at it. This is just the Right Thing To do.

Thanks for asking, pharmstudent993. I needed the reminder.

You're completely welcome:). I'm glad i helped; congrats on the stats course:D! um, i know i shouldn't be prying, but what area of law do (um, did?) you practice? i apologize if i'm being too invasive.

I don't have a problem with your questions, pharmstudent993. I am also curious about people and know first hand most will answer any sort of question, no matter how outrageously nosy it is. Preceding it with a sheepish apology works even better. ;) Now I am working toward getting paid to do it - how cool is that!?

Anyway, I had (yep, past tense) a general practice - wills, domestic relations, real estate transactions mostly - and did work for ACLU state legislative affairs. I found an early mentor's warning was true - there are circumstances when you must be attorney at law, not counselor at law. I do not regret the journey but realized I do not want to be where that path leads.

So, after cells and systems and chemistry and body cavities and and and tonight, there will be cat skeletons tomorrow. Thrilling stuff. I don't think we will have to do anything icky, but I have a box of gloves and a cheap tube of hand washing toothpaste just in case.

Thank you for answering my questions:D. It seems like your previous work is interesting. I wish you the best of luck in your biology course and all your other endeavors:D.

Just to close the loop, I have overcome the obstacle I created for myself. I am reading the A&P book. My Dorland's arrived today so I can tackle the pathophysiology, histology, and body atlas books.

I didn't need gloves for the lab, but I have them and the toothpaste now. Lava soap is good stuff but not so good for the skin. We explored people skull models and it was kind of cool. Fortunately, my innate curiosity has overcome squeamishness and fear.

Thanks again to all of you for helping me get my act together.

Help, again, please. PLEASE?? Dissection, I come to realize after the second lecture, is the least of my problems. There were no prerequisites for the a&p course, so I presumed there would be enough introductory info to get up to speed. I have no prior biology education, not even in high school.

Okay, it was a struggle, but I read everything assigned. So, I go to lecture and the material covered, socratically I might add, was not what was assigned. The professor spent the last ten minutes of class quickly lecturing on three chapters from two textbooks. My sole desire in life, which I met, was to not cry until I got home. The professor and some of my classmates might as well have been speaking a foreign language - others felt as I did, we compared notes. It was as if I had practiced a piece for flute, had it down pretty well then someone handed me a violin, which I do not know how to play, and an unknown score and told me to sight read.:mad:

So, I am looking for more of you all's practical nuts and bolts advice. :D I need to teach myself a&p to the extent I can understand and participate in class. It is too late to drop and get any sort of refund at all. what books or other study aids might help me?

I have some advice, as I'm currently in human anatomy. Its a very difficult class! There is a software called "Anatomy Revealed" that you can get off of Amazon (Its about $40). Its pretty cool because you can quiz yourself, you can look at cadavers or illustrations, set it up to "peel" layers away and see inside. Super useful.
I would strongly encourage you to visit your professors office hours, show him your notes, and explain that you were not prepared (for a test? for an assignment? I wasn't clear from your post) and that you would like to know what you can do to learn better. Never turn it around on the prof, even if you want to- ie., "you're not preparing us..."- it probably won't get you anywhere.
Finally, its important to study all the things you learn in lecture over and over again. I have to repeat the objectives for the course over and over and over again!

I hope this helps at least a little; the software is really good, though.

Help, again, please. PLEASE?? Dissection, I come to realize after the second lecture, is the least of my problems. There were no prerequisites for the a&p course, so I presumed there would be enough introductory info to get up to speed. I have no prior biology education, not even in high school.

Okay, it was a struggle, but I read everything assigned. So, I go to lecture and the material covered, socratically I might add, was not what was assigned. The professor spent the last ten minutes of class quickly lecturing on three chapters from two textbooks. My sole desire in life, which I met, was to not cry until I got home. The professor and some of my classmates might as well have been speaking a foreign language - others felt as I did, we compared notes. It was as if I had practiced a piece for flute, had it down pretty well then someone handed me a violin, which I do not know how to play, and an unknown score and told me to sight read.:mad:

So, I am looking for more of you all's practical nuts and bolts advice. :D I need to teach myself a&p to the extent I can understand and participate in class. It is too late to drop and get any sort of refund at all. what books or other study aids might help me?

Thanks, Brightness. That just might help on the anatomy front. Unfortunately, I am having totally asea on the the chemistry and physiology as well. I did talk to the professor about my prior experience level (none) and lack of familiarity with the materials (it is nearly all new).

Yes, it is a hard class, even under the best of circumstances. My circumstances are not good.

We have not had a test yet. I study the material assigned for lecture then go to class and the lecture is on other material that we will get to later for the majority of the class time with maybe fifteen minutes touching on some of the lecture slides posted on Blackboard very quickly. There are online weekly quizzes. The first one was not so bad. The second one, he said up front in the link to the quiz, was on material not assigned yet and we should look it up after taking the quiz. How the **** do you look something up from a question (the answers do not appear on the printable form) you do not even understand??

The professor is very much into getting people (pre-med, science majors) out of their comfort zone. He teaches to that level. While he claims to care one-on-one about those with less background, lecture and other materials do not reflect awareness there are people who did not start out in a 'comfort zone'. Additional meetings with the professor are not going to help. I am going to check into tutoring tomorrow.

So back to my original question. What are good, understandable at a lay level resources for teaching myself the basics of biology, chemistry for A&P so I understand what is going on in class and on quizzes about material not yet assigned?

In a lot of ways, we are the wrong people to ask. Yes, many of us have probably taken some anatomy/phys/chem ect., but the clinicians forum and pre med people might be a better resource. You can guarantee that almost all of the nurses and PAs have taken anatomy and physiology, and many pre-meds do as well.

Thanks, Brightness. That just might help on the anatomy front. Unfortunately, I am having totally asea on the the chemistry and physiology as well. I did talk to the professor about my prior experience level (none) and lack of familiarity with the materials (it is nearly all new).

Yes, it is a hard class, even under the best of circumstances. My circumstances are not good.

We have not had a test yet. I study the material assigned for lecture then go to class and the lecture is on other material that we will get to later for the majority of the class time with maybe fifteen minutes touching on some of the lecture slides posted on Blackboard very quickly. There are online weekly quizzes. The first one was not so bad. The second one, he said up front in the link to the quiz, was on material not assigned yet and we should look it up after taking the quiz. How the **** do you look something up from a question (the answers do not appear on the printable form) you do not even understand??

The professor is very much into getting people (pre-med, science majors) out of their comfort zone. He teaches to that level. While he claims to care one-on-one about those with less background, lecture and other materials do not reflect awareness there are people who did not start out in a 'comfort zone'. Additional meetings with the professor are not going to help. I am going to check into tutoring tomorrow.

So back to my original question. What are good, understandable at a lay level resources for teaching myself the basics of biology, chemistry for A&P so I understand what is going on in class and on quizzes about material not yet assigned?