Human Anatomy or Microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a premed student, anthropology major, just need to take organic chemistry to finish the basic premed requirements. I was going to take a biology class this summer even though I have completed the 2 req bio classes.

Which would be best in regards to MCAT/med school:
Human Anatomy and Physiology
or
Microbiology

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

faith100 said:
or
Microbiology

In regards to the MCAT, I think the Human A&P course would be most useful, but only as far as the physiology goes. Otherwise I wager to guess that microbiology will be more useful, as the course will teach you useful concepts that you will likely retain far longer than the minutia you will have to learn in an anatomy course.

My vote is for Micro. They are starting to put of tons of cell bio, molecular genetics, etc on the MCAT. Anatomy wouldn't help so much, but Phys would be very helpful.

Still, having a good understanding of cellular biology (which you should get some of this in micro) is very important for MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't bother with either one. College micro is very different from medical micro, and little if any will be on the mcat. a&p is probably a better choice for mcat prep, but will provide too superficial coverage if you're looking for any advantage in med school.

doc05 said:
I wouldn't bother with either one. College micro is very different from medical micro, and little if any will be on the mcat. a&p is probably a better choice for mcat prep, but will provide too superficial coverage if you're looking for any advantage in med school.

EXACTLY

The physiology course will definitely help you for the MCAT :thumbup:

Take physio. It has may components (at least where I took it): neuro, biochem, endo, etc. It will give you a solid foundation for med school plus is a great general review of important concepts that are covered in the MCAT.

Good undergrad physio class = best MCAT review out there. For BS anyway.

faith100 said:
Im a premed student, anthropology major, just need to take organic chemistry to finish the basic premed requirements. I was going to take a biology class this summer even though I have completed the 2 req bio classes.

or
Microbiology

Thanks!

Physio and biochem raised my mcat score 5 points!
Don't worry about med school. just get in now!

faith100 said:

or
Microbiology

Thanks!

Best for MCAT:
neither really, but Physio if I had to choose

Best for Medical School.
neither. Take Biochem instead; it will help you the most.

As a person with a microbiology major, I'd have to say it depends on what the micro course actually is.

If it's a lower division survey course, it could actually be very beneficial as far as understanding basic cellular metabolism as well as blending in laboratory techniques that will be covered on the MCAT.

It's a toss-up, though.

Good luck!

physio alone would be the best. anatomy is pretty worthless for the mcat.

medical microbiology would also be good as on my mcat we had some microbio questions, some immunology questions, and a passage about a test that i was familiar with from the class.