Huh?? Can anyone with Examkrackers 101 verbal help me with a question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZFutureDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really getting tired of the EK verbal book being challenging not because there are actually good passages and difficult questions, but because of all these questions that are just stupid tricks. They don't test VR skills, they ask questions that you WILL miss just so you can turn to the back of the book and see WRONG: the passage suggests that you are an idiot, not that you consistently do well on AAMC tests but fail ours!

Anyways, blew off my steam. I DO NOT GET question 44 on page 135. This is in test 7, passage VII. Are they right in their explanation? I put the answer from the passage, B, around fifty times. Man this is frustrating me. I can't even ace a simple, plain English passage in this book!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, B makes no sense "Maintaining our functionality into old age"

When they say, "However, would this merely extend our longevity or have a direct bearing on aging", they mean nothing about mainting functionality in our old age. It basically is stating that will it merely extend our living... now functionality into old age. So then we limit it down to A or D. if you look at it, they are saying NOTHING about w/o aging so it has to be A

Thats just what i got out of it

I do understand that question, but maybe I made a typo. The question that made me mad was the question about how many times the graduate students observed their cells divide. I don't have my book handy but maybe we have different editions or you thought I asked about another question in that passage. I would appreciate it.

EK is out to get you. you're not paranoid. it's a fact. Anyone who scores 15 on one of those is godlike in their guessing ability.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really getting tired of the EK verbal book being challenging not because there are actually good passages and difficult questions, but because of all these questions that are just stupid tricks. They don't test VR skills, they ask questions that you WILL miss just so you can turn to the back of the book and see WRONG: the passage suggests that you are an idiot, not that you consistently do well on AAMC tests but fail ours!

Anyways, blew off my steam. I DO NOT GET question 44 on page 135. This is in test 7, passage VII. Are they right in their explanation? I put the answer from the passage, B, around fifty times. Man this is frustrating me. I can't even ace a simple, plain English passage in this book!

Well question 43 is: "According to the passage, the skin cells of the graduate students probably divided:"
and A. Endlessly
B. Around fifty times
C. A finite number of times
D. Less than fifty,

All you have to know is look at lines: "24-27".
It says, and you SHOULD know this for the biological sciences part anyways, that skin cells endlessly divide. Its the other cells that divide about 50 times..

If that is not the queestion, we must have diff editions because this is confusing

Well question 43 is: "According to the passage, the skin cells of the graduate students probably divided:"
and A. Endlessly
B. Around fifty times
C. A finite number of times
D. Less than fifty,

All you have to know is look at lines: "24-27".
It says, and you SHOULD know this for the biological sciences part anyways, that skin cells endlessly divide. Its the other cells that divide about 50 times..

If that is not the queestion, we must have diff editions because this is confusing

That IS the question. I bought mine a few months ago and I have been reading on here that a new one was released. I think, at least.

You cannot reason from the passage that A is the answer. It is not logically correct. Clearly from the passage, the students observed 50 divisions. The passage does not specify which kind of cell they used. Therefore, the only information we have about the number of times their cells divide is that it is around 50. It seems incorrect. A, outside knowledge is not tested, and usually detrimental. B, it is unclear what is going on in that area of the passage because the of all the contrasts, its hard to see what the author really ends up thinking.

I'm just gonna forget about it. This EK book actually has messed me up. A month before my test, I was really getting good on AAMC tests with PR material. I've done all those passages and recently switched to this book to practice and it has effectively "broken" my correct way of doing problems. My scores in AAMC tests are lower now than ever because I have this new tenancy to think every answer is wrong because EK has conditioned me to do this. So now I'm going back to the passage more than ever, even when I feel I put the best answer. I'm seriously tossing this worthless book. I can only pray hard that I can dump all the crappy ideas and "lessons" this book has taught me. Man, the sciences are pretty good with them, but both their strategy and all their practice material are universes away being helpful or representative of AAMC VR.

That IS the question. I bought mine a few months ago and I have been reading on here that a new one was released. I think, at least.

You cannot reason from the passage that A is the answer. It is not logically correct. Clearly from the passage, the students observed 50 divisions. The passage does not specify which kind of cell they used. Therefore, the only information we have about the number of times their cells divide is that it is around 50. It seems incorrect. A, outside knowledge is not tested, and usually detrimental. B, it is unclear what is going on in that area of the passage because the of all the contrasts, its hard to see what the author really ends up thinking.

I'm just gonna forget about it. This EK book actually has messed me up. A month before my test, I was really getting good on AAMC tests with PR material. I've done all those passages and recently switched to this book to practice and it has effectively "broken" my correct way of doing problems. My scores in AAMC tests are lower now than ever because I have this new tenancy to think every answer is wrong because EK has conditioned me to do this. So now I'm going back to the passage more than ever, even when I feel I put the best answer. I'm seriously tossing this worthless book. I can only pray hard that I can dump all the crappy ideas and "lessons" this book has taught me. Man, the sciences are pretty good with them, but both their strategy and all their practice material are universes away being helpful or representative of AAMC VR.

No you see, if you read carefully in the passage, it states CLEARLY that skin cells divide endlessly. It then goes to state the the large majority of the cells divide 50 times, BUT "Skin cells, cells of the digestive tract, and cells in the bone that produce red and white blood cells" divide endlessly. Reread it and you'll see.

Yeah if it is really messing you up, get rid of it. BUT EK 101 verbal is the best there is for verbal preparation, so i'd keep working on it and hoping for the best, but that is true, if you're going down, get rid of it. I have hte old one as well, but i found the EK really good and helped me do better on AAMC/Kaplan ones