HSCP/GI Bill Combo for Prior Service Officer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CGtoDentistry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone,

I have been considering a career change and entering dentistry for some time, and have been lurking the forum for a couple of weeks now. I figured some of these questions may be best to ask rather than endlessly searching.

About me: I am an Active Duty O2 in the Coast Guard with 2.5 years of service under my belt, with 2.5 to go until my initial commitment is up (CGA graduate). I am a single male without a serious girlfriend/kids. Luckily for me and the rest of my classmates, we will have full access to the Post 9/11 GI Bill in May due to Congress forgetting about the Coast Guard Academy. Normally a Service Academy graduate or ROTC scholarship recipient has to fulfill their initial obligation of service before accruing time for the GI Bill benefit. Since they forgot about us, we are entitled to it while serving our obligations. However...

I am still interested in serving my country. There are ups and downs about the military, like everything in life, but I do enjoy wearing the uniform, traveling around, helping others, and meeting people from all walks of life. Part of this is why I'm drawn to dentistry of course, among other various reasons. With that in mind, I would like to pursue dentistry and get the HSCP scholarship and use it alongside my Post 9/11 at a state school.

My understanding is that the HSCP will enlist me as an active duty E7 (chief pay but of course I'm not a real chief), and the time in dental school will count towards my time in service/retirement. I will have 4 years of AD time for dental school. When you add in my 5 years of AD this would put me at 9 years of service as an O3E (hoping to make O3 in 1.5 years while in the CG). I know there's not a base pay difference in terms of O3E and O3 at 9 years service, and the BAH isn't that significant either.

My questions/thoughts are as follows:
1) Is there anyone else on these forums who have used HSCP & GI Bill together? How was it? I know that I wouldn't be able to collect the MHA due to being AD, but that's okay. The GI Bill will pay tuition/fees for ANY state school that I would be accepted to. It provides 36 months of benefit, but you only spend it when you're actually in class. So my benefit wouldn't be used during summer/fall/winter breaks; only when I'm taking classes. From what I've researched, this should cover my entire dental school.
2) Would you consider this course of action to be a good career move? I figure that I would be grandfathered into the current military retirement system, and could still retire at 43, albeit with a better skill set as a dentist than a general line officer. My impression is that the Navy Dental Corps promotes a bit faster then the Line Officers. O5/O6 retirement at 20 years sounds like a good gig (especially if I could get high 3 for O6 at Year 17). At 43 I would still be young, healthy, and debt free with plenty of years to practice dentistry. My plan at that point would be to open a private practice or use my military travel benefits/pension to travel around the world and provide dental care to low-served communities around the world. I love interacting with all sorts of people, and the ability to help others in a meaningful way carries a lot of weight.
3) I'm 2.5 years out from my commitment. I think this gives me enough lead to study for the DAT, shadow, and take the appropriate pre-reqs. I was an engineering major as an undergraduate (originally was a political science major, but switched to engineering) and lack biology and organic chemistry courses. My overall GPA is a 2.8, but I got A's and B's in my science courses (Chem I, II, Phys I,II, Meteorology). Would I be competitive with all of this, assuming good grades at a 4 year local college for the pre-reqs?
4) I would hope to do an AEGD after Dental School. With 11 years to go at that point in service, I figure specializing won't hurt. And the maturity I have gained as an O would motivate me to do well in DS so I can get the grades to be accepted to a residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Good Evening Everyone,

I have been considering a career change and entering dentistry for some time, and have been lurking the forum for a couple of weeks now. I figured some of these questions may be best to ask rather than endlessly searching.

About me: I am an Active Duty O2 in the Coast Guard with 2.5 years of service under my belt, with 2.5 to go until my initial commitment is up (CGA graduate). I am a single male without a serious girlfriend/kids. Luckily for me and the rest of my classmates, we will have full access to the Post 9/11 GI Bill in May due to Congress forgetting about the Coast Guard Academy. Normally a Service Academy graduate or ROTC scholarship recipient has to fulfill their initial obligation of service before accruing time for the GI Bill benefit. Since they forgot about us, we are entitled to it while serving our obligations. However...

I am still interested in serving my country. There are ups and downs about the military, like everything in life, but I do enjoy wearing the uniform, traveling around, helping others, and meeting people from all walks of life. Part of this is why I'm drawn to dentistry of course, among other various reasons. With that in mind, I would like to pursue dentistry and get the HSCP scholarship and use it alongside my Post 9/11 at a state school.

My understanding is that the HSCP will enlist me as an active duty E7 (chief pay but of course I'm not a real chief), and the time in dental school will count towards my time in service/retirement. I will have 4 years of AD time for dental school. When you add in my 5 years of AD this would put me at 9 years of service as an O3E (hoping to make O3 in 1.5 years while in the CG). I know there's not a base pay difference in terms of O3E and O3 at 9 years service, and the BAH isn't that significant either.

1) Is there anyone else on these forums who have used HSCP & GI Bill together? How was it? I know that I wouldn't be able to collect the MHA due to being AD, but that's okay. The GI Bill will pay tuition/fees for ANY state school that I would be accepted to. It provides 36 months of benefit, but you only spend it when you're actually in class. So my benefit wouldn't be used during summer/fall/winter breaks; only when I'm taking classes. From what I've researched, this should cover my entire dental school.
2) Would you consider this course of action to be a good career move? I figure that I would be grandfathered into the current military retirement system, and could still retire at 43, albeit with a better skill set as a dentist than a general line officer. My impression is that the Navy Dental Corps promotes a bit faster then the Line Officers. O5/O6 retirement at 20 years sounds like a good gig (especially if I could get high 3 for O6 at Year 17). At 43 I would still be young, healthy, and debt free with plenty of years to practice dentistry. My plan at that point would be to open a private practice or use my military travel benefits/pension to travel around the world and provide dental care to low-served communities around the world. I love interacting with all sorts of people, and the ability to help others in a meaningful way carries a lot of weight.
3) I'm 2.5 years out from my commitment. I think this gives me enough lead to study for the DAT, shadow, and take the appropriate pre-reqs. I was an engineering major as an undergraduate (originally was a political science major, but switched to engineering) and lack biology and organic chemistry courses. My overall GPA is a 2.8, but I got A's and B's in my science courses (Chem I, II, Phys I,II, Meteorology). Would I be competitive with all of this, assuming good grades at a 4 year local college for the pre-reqs?
4) I would hope to do an AEGD after Dental School. With 11 years to go at that point in service, I figure specializing won't hurt. And the maturity I have gained as an O would motivate me to do well in DS so I can get the grades to be accepted to a residency.

I don't want to beat around the bush, a 2.8GPA is going to be a huge uphill battle for not only getting the HSCP but getting into dental school period. If anything getting in is getting more competitive. If you really want this you need to approach with the attitude that anything less than an A in your remaining classes is unacceptable. You will probably need to complete some kind of post-bac program to have a shot, you need to kill that. Everyone knows engineering is a tough major but a 2.8 just isn't going to be good enough. I'd say sorry for being harsh, but better to hear it now than get your hopes up and not put in the repair work that needs to be done.

Good Evening Everyone,

I don't see anything in here about WHY you want to do dentistry. If you haven't shadowed a dentist at all, how do you know that dentistry is a good fit for you/something you actually want to devote the rest of your life to? I suggest you try to spend a good amount of time around a dentist to find out; you might hate it, or you might fall in love and have a fire lit under your bit. A 2.8 GPA is an issue, but that could be possibly compensated for by a strong DAT, excellent post-bacc grades, and a strong application.

Point being: It's doable, but ask yourself if this is really what you want (It's a really long road). There are plenty of careers you could have, military included, that would allow you to help people without.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see anything in here about WHY you want to do dentistry. If you haven't shadowed a dentist at all, how do you know that dentistry is a good fit for you/something you actually want to devote the rest of your life to? I suggest you try to spend a good amount of time around a dentist to find out; you might hate it, or you might fall in love and have a fire lit under your bit. A 2.8 GPA is an issue, but that could be possibly compensated for by a strong DAT, excellent post-bacc grades, and a strong application.

Point being: It's doable, but ask yourself if this is really what you want (It's a really long road). There are plenty of careers you could have, military included, that would allow you to help people without.

Thanks for the replies guys, I do appreciate it. My current plan is to start shadowing dentists like you said, see if I actually enjoy the profession and see if it is actually for me. I've always enjoyed going to the dentist and they seem to be pretty satisfied with life, so I think there may be something to that. My plan right now is to do well on the DAT and in any post-bacc prereqs that I need. Luckily the Service Academies include a note to graduate/professional schools on the rigor of our institutions. It's not like regular college where all you have to do is study and they curve grades. I averaged 18-20 credits per semester and rarely had free periods. My schedule was as follows for 4 years:

0600: Muster (wake up)
0615: Morning Formation
0620-0650:Breakfast
0700-0750: Morning Military Training (sometimes drill, sometimes mandated general training)
0800-1150: Classes
1200: Afternoon Formation
1210-1240: Lunch
1250-1540: Classes
1600-1800: Sports period
1800-1900: Dinner
1900-2000: Evening military training (We'd have lots of guest speakers, various leaders and other professionals)
2000-2200: Closed Door Study hour

If you had a free period in the morning or afternoon you weren't allowed to nap and had to keep your door open. There weren't options to live off of the Academy grounds either. I believe this and my experience as a commissioned officer are good "softs" in an application. But like you said, I have to kill the DAT, interview, and any other pre-req courses I take

make sure you really wanna do it. Dental school sucks pretty bad.. I'd probably not do it if I could go back

Good Evening Everyone,

This is a very specific path that you have laid out, and to be honest I doubt that you will be able to get everything done in time. Have you considered your timeline and what you will need to do? Just because your service obligation is over in 2.5 years does not mean you have plenty of time:

-You will be submitting your application to AADSAS IN 18 MONTHS from now.

-You have 18 months to increase your GPA, shadow, build up your application, and take your DAT. All of this while on AD is NOT EASY.

-Assuming you are offered admission, you want only a State school, which is even more competitive.

-You will also need to navigate the selection process for HSCP. There is no guarantee you will be selected. In fact, it will be very difficult. Being AD gives you a leg up, but it is not guaranteed.

-I think you should count time in service again. I can tell you right now that even if your scenario works out the way you planned, you will NEVER hit O6 by your 17 year mark. In fact, you will still be an O-4 likely. Unless I'm mistaken you will only receive half your commissioned time added as entry grade credit, because you were not in the Dental Corps. So graduating you will be an O3, with 2.5 additional years added on. This will put you at ~9 years, so you will put on O4 at ~12.5 years. So that means you would be lucky to put on CDR by your 17 year mark.

-You will not receive O3E pay. Although enlisted, once you graduate you will not have 4 years of total enlisted time to qualify for E designation. You need at least 4 years and 1 day.

Other than that, I say work hard. Do your best to be competitive for dental school in the next year and a half, but also do great as an officer. You will need to show success in both.
Best of luck and feel free to ask questions.

what ever happened with this dude, he still around?

what ever happened with this dude, he still around?

Yup! Still around, still planning on dental school. I transitioned off active duty this summer and am currently working for a silicon valley tech company. Wanting to go back to school and do my prereqs. Unsure of going back to the military

oh, just based on pure nosiness, I was wondering how much progress you had made. You started this thread three years ago. Nosy, because I also transitioned military to dental, so I was curious how you managed it. If you're still working though then it seems like you've changed your mind.

oh, just based on pure nosiness, I was wondering how much progress you had made. You started this thread three years ago. Nosy, because I also transitioned military to dental, so I was curious how you managed it. If you're still working though then it seems like you've changed your mind.

I wouldn’t say that, more life circumstances that got in the way. Now that I have more of a significant savings and have a bit of room to breathe I’m thinking it’s time to move out of my metro area and enroll in a post-bacc. There’s no way I can do prereqs with my current job as I spend 20 hours in travel alone.

How did you make the transition if you don’t mind me asking? I def want to use the gi bill for this and not a post bacc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well? did you make it happen? I was Naval Academy then eventually HSCP dental and now a Navy dentist. I was looking into some info on GI Bill and HSCP and came across this thread. Did you do it? I hope you're doing well.