HS Students - After HS and Undergrad

Freak705

High School Graduate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd throw up this thread for talking about your current plans and plans for the near future. If you've graduated, what are you up to now, before starting university? Where will you be going to univerrsity, and for what program?

I've graduated but I'm going back for another semester to do co-op, hopefully at the main hospital in town. One of my friends had a co-op at the hospital and got to witness a few surgeries, which I think would be an amazing experience. If I don't get in there (its a competitive spot), I hope to go to the anatomy lab at the University of Guelph. My senior bio class got to visit there and see and actually feel and touch a few human organ specimens, and even have some hands on with a cadaver. Co-op students there generally help prepare and preserve the organs. I'd love to do something like that as a back-up.

I'm hoping to go to McMaster University in Hamilton for undergrad, in Life Sciences. I'm interested about their special Health Science program, I had the marks to qualify for it (90%+), but I was lacking a non math or science prereq.

So, how about the rest of you?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a co-op placement in a research lab at the University of Western Ontario that turned into a paid summer job. We have this joke that I'm doing a direct entry Masters, like direct from high school. I made some friends in the Clinical Anatomy program and I go down and watch them dissect when I'm waiting for experiments. CIHR has an amazing program set up here in London linking highschool students with PI's and setting up co-op opportunities. Is that who you are with Freak705? I'm going to be doing two general years at Western and then taking the compressed time (19 month) BScN program and then apply to med school.

I've heard that McMaster's Health Sci program is great if get into a med school when you are done but if don't or you decide to go to grad school it's not so cool. I was interested in the program but the head of sci at my school told that her nephew had taken it, didn't get in to med school and came to Western for grad school, only he had to take more undergrad sci courses at Western because the Health Science program doesn't have enough science. Just a random bit of info. .

Last edited:
I'm a hs senior this year. I want to go to my local university (its a 4-yr. one, but only about 5,000 students) and get all my prerequisites for pharmacy done there in two years. Then I apply and (hopefully) am admitted to the University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy. and I guess that's about the extent of my plans. Not very exciting.:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, I'm just doing co-op through high school, technically the grade 11 biology co-op, but grade level isn't what matters, its where you find your placement.

What kind of summer work are you doing? After the first semester I plan on working full time somewhere, if my co-op lead to a paid position that would be amazing. But for now I was just expecting to go find work in a local factory or warehouse or something. Is it full time?

To be quite honest, I don't know much about the Health Science program other than the fact that its there to help aspiring medical students be prepared earlier on. Like I said I can't get into it because I'm lacking a non-science/tech 12M/U course. I took the main science classes, a spare, advanced functions, english, and two computer classes. The programming class unfortunately doesn't count. Next year I'm also taking calculus and grade 10 food and nutrition as a fun class with friends. I heard that the Health Science program also incorporates PBL type classes, which seems strange to me. Although for anyone going to the med school in Hamilton, it would prepare them better I suppose.

I'm mainly planning to go to Hamilton for my undergrad simply because its closer than other schools like Western or Queens. I have a friend going to Queens this fall, and I know their entrance scholarships pay out more, but I'm in a relationship I don't want to break off or put a serious strain on, so I plan on staying closer to Guelph.

Last edited:
Yea, i'm working about 35 hours a week in the lab for the summer. I'm going to be working in a volunteer program in Montreal for the winter and then I'm going to start university in Sept 09.

Wow, that sounds pretty cool. Sounds like you've found some great opportunities. Hopefully some more will present themselves to me before university comes rolling around for me =)

So, glowworm, why pharmacy? What motivates you to take that path?

I finally graduated this past May! :) I'm taking a break this summer - I worked hard last year (took all college courses, shadowed physicians, played a varsity sport, volunteered, both overseas and here in the US, worked in health care, etc.) so I decided to just enjoy this summer. Basically, I've done nothing but play around all summer and it's been good. There will be plenty of time over the next four years when I won't have time to just kick back and relax.

As for college, I'll be attending a university in the midwest this fall. I'm going to be majoring in biomedical sciences. I'm looking forward to the move and hope to immediately find volunteer opportunities at a hospital in my new area. Beyond that, I'm going to try and get through my first (sophomore year credit wise, though) year of college while maintaining a good GPA and building a social circle. :) I'm also hoping to scout out research internships, etc. Pretty typical and boring, honestly!

hmmm well I'm going to be a senior this upcoming year and I'm pretty much just continuing everything I do now but I'm going to try and find vets to shadow. But I'm going to transfer departments at the hospital I work at to get some extra cash and I may possibly get another job at the humane society. ( i volunteer there right now ) but I'm not sure because I already have a heavy load. I will be applying to school this upcoming fall and I'm very stuck on collleges. I will most likely be doing my undergrad in state... stuck on two schools. Unless I do a co-op marine biology program with Hawaii which would be awesome! I figure I'd just volunteer, work, and intern by butt off through undergrad and apply for vet school. Very average and normal so hopefully throw in some stuff that is "unique"... and of course get amazing grades.

This summer I worked a little bit at a vet hospital, but mostly weekend kennel work (anything to build up a resume, right?), and I completed an internship with my half-day math/science school where I was able to watch a whole bunch of surgeries and interesting visits and such.

Other than that, I've been trying to relax and enjoy my summer before college this fall! I'm going to a smaller state school in Michigan where I got a scholarship and will be in the Honor's college. Hopefully through undergrad I'll be able to get a job at a vet's office, volunteer, or shadow a ton! :)

I wish I had those sweet co-op opportunities that some of you guys have - I live in such a small town that it's hard to find things like that.

Wow, that sounds pretty cool. Sounds like you've found some great opportunities. Hopefully some more will present themselves to me before university comes rolling around for me =)

So, glowworm, why pharmacy? What motivates you to take that path?

I like both biology and chemistry, I like the the basic idea of a medical field (helping other people instead of being only concerned about money), and I can't stand the thought of doing surgery every day like a doctor. and I don't want to spend 10-15 more years in school either. So... I end up with the options of either pharmacy or optometry:)

I'm going into my senior year of high school in September, so I haven't taken any major steps just yet, but I'm in my planning phase. For undergrad, right now Rutgers University (New Brunswick) is looking to be my top choice. It's only 18 miles away from where I live (though I'd prefer to dorm there), has the major I'm most interested in (Exercise Science, which, according to their site, would have me take 2 semesters of bio, chem, and physics, with opportunities to take org. chem as electives), and it's considered to be a relatively well-known school. According to U.S. News, the New Brunswick campus of Rutgers is ranked as being the 59th top school in the country, which isn't stellar, but it certainly isn't awful either.

Right now, besides completing my summer work (AP Calc. and AP Lit.), I'm working part-time at an insurance agency (and have been for a few years now) and starting to prepare to re-take the SAT and ACT in October. Senior year is going to be pretty tough, because I'm going to try to maintain my GPA with lots of different AP classes, and I'll be trying to play two sports. It should be fun! :D

HS senior - I'm doing a dual-enrollment program with the local CC, so I'll be entering college as a second-semester sophomore. My school doesn't offer AP or honors classes, but I did really well on my ACTs and my GPA is sterling. I'm also one of those strange people who thrives on stress, so I have a bunch of extra-curriculars (none of them are really science-related, but I seriously doubt that med schools are going to look at what my ECAs were in high school). I'm hoping to get into Oberlin--I'm applying ED this November--but if that bombs out, Kenyon is a close second. Their science department is just miles behind Oberlin, though... So I'm really pulling for Oberlin.

I'm going to med school... wherever they accept me. I don't want to go and get my heart set on a school before I really know what I'm getting into.

Anyone else going to be ahead in college, and kind of nervous about being younger than everyone else in med school? I'm not worried about the learning, so much as the experience and such.

HS senior - I'm doing a dual-enrollment program with the local CC, so I'll be entering college as a second-semester sophomore. My school doesn't offer AP or honors classes, but I did really well on my ACTs and my GPA is sterling. I'm also one of those strange people who thrives on stress, so I have a bunch of extra-curriculars (none of them are really science-related, but I seriously doubt that med schools are going to look at what my ECAs were in high school). I'm hoping to get into Oberlin--I'm applying ED this November--but if that bombs out, Kenyon is a close second. Their science department is just miles behind Oberlin, though... So I'm really pulling for Oberlin.

I'm going to med school... wherever they accept me. I don't want to go and get my heart set on a school before I really know what I'm getting into.

Anyone else going to be ahead in college, and kind of nervous about being younger than everyone else in med school? I'm not worried about the learning, so much as the experience and such.

A bunch of my classmates went to Oberlin. Seems like a good school. :luck:

I wouldn't worry about being ahead in college. You'll still do the fun freshman activities and find things that interest you... you can group-up with people in your dorm and other social cliques. If you're not taking the same classes as other people, it doesn't make a huge difference. The college social life depends a lot less on what happens inside of class than HS.

bookgodess15, I'm also going into college with a bunch of credits; I have to declare my major next year. Atleast some prereqs are out of the way.

bookgodess15, I'm also going into college with a bunch of credits; I have to declare my major next year. Atleast some prereqs are out of the way.

Yikes, major... I have no idea what to major in. I don't even want to think about that one yet. Good luck to you.

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one jumping ahead, and I totally agree with you--I'm going to have two years of English under my belt. No more English classes! Yay! Also, I only have to take part two of chem, bio, and calc. Definitely a good thing, because I want to get in physics and organic chem before I take the MCAT!

Dekapote, thanks for the advice. I really should stop worrying about what college is going to be like and focus on actually get in there, eh?

Yikes, major... I have no idea what to major in. I don't even want to think about that one yet. Good luck to you.

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one jumping ahead, and I totally agree with you--I'm going to have two years of English under my belt. No more English classes! Yay! Also, I only have to take part two of chem, bio, and calc. Definitely a good thing, because I want to get in physics and organic chem before I take the MCAT!

Dekapote, thanks for the advice. I really should stop worrying about what college is going to be like and focus on actually get in there, eh?

Couple more months! I just started my applications this morning! Hoping that I can finish at least the essays before school starts. So nervous. Then we can stop worrying about getting in and focus on what college will be like :p Choosing is going to be hard. :(

I'm a high school Junior. I'm going to apply for the University of Florida's BS/DMD program, which means I can become a dentist in 7 years, instead of 8. It's really competitive though, so I have to maintain a 3.8 gpa in college. :scared:

Ugh. My really long post just deleted...

Basically, I'm on the pre-vet track and what I've learned most is that I need to focus on my GPA during undergrad because it's the one part of my application that will be extremely hard, if not impossible, to improve. The GRE can always be studied for and retaken, and I can always take a year or two after undergrad getting vet and animal experience, but GPA is forever :scared:. Haha, the insanity...

I've placed out of Calculus 1, Psych 1, and Bio 1, so we'll see. I think I'm going to take Greek for my language credit because I think it's going to be very useful in vet school (I loved Latin because I could tell where my words were coming from). I'll probably get Chem 1, American politics, and my English credit out of the way this fall too.

So from reading some of the posts here about focusing on getting in to colleges/universities in the states, it seems like getting into university in the states is very competitive? From my experience in Canada, theres always at least some university you can get into as long as you tried in high school.

So from reading some of the posts here about focusing on getting in to colleges/universities in the states, it seems like getting into university in the states is very competitive? From my experience in Canada, theres always at least some university you can get into as long as you tried in high school.

Ah, but you see, in Canada I believe there are 66 full-fledged colleges and unis. In the USA, there are 2500 full-fledged colleges and unis. Generally, if you try in high school, it's pretty easy to get into a state school (government funded, typically very large, costs ~$15,000 a year). If you try and you apply yourself with extra-curriculars and do well on your standardized tests, then you might get a good scholarship to a state school, or you might try to apply to a private school (privately funded, typically much smaller, ~$45,000 a year). If you're insanely smart and do ten bajillion things every week, then you'll probably get a good scholarship to a private school.

So in a nutshell, you can always get into some college if you try in high school, but a lot of us are in the second and third category and are vying for good scholarships and more selective schools. We're freaks like that. :p

Looking at the requirements for Ivy League schools makes me sad. Even though I'm pretty smart for a high schooler, I can't even fathom getting such high SAT/ACT scores.

But yeah, public universities tend to be cheaper than private, especially "good" private universities. Some public places can get expensive though. For example, Rutgers is $21k for out-of-state students, and another $10k for room and board. :/ It sucks especially hard because I'm only 18 miles from the school, but in NY and not NJ.