HS senior in a dillemma and still doesnt know what college he's going to, Help!

lhweaver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma guys, I got accepted into Cal state northridge and cal state san marcos, my goal nomatter where i go is to either transfer to ucla or ucsd after 2 years, after recently doing research theres a community college called santa monica college that offers a program that will guarantee admission to ucla if you have a 3.0 entering freshman year (which i dont have) but ucsd has a guaranteed admissions program with no entering freshman requirements like that.

And i've recently acquired information that if you want to transfer into a uc its easier to do that by going to a CC first because the uc system gives priority to community college students in transfers rather than 4-year colleges.

So my dillemma is, should i go to santa monica college which will increase my chances in getting into a uc after 2 years or go to cal state northridge and have a harder time getting into the uc system after 2 years

keep in mind i have a full ride at both cal state northridge and santa monica college. my goal is to attend med school at either uc sd or ucla

Members don't see this ad.

Choose a school that you want to go. If you really like UCLA, go for it.

I really don't think it matters, because you will have to keep up amazing grades and be a stellar student at either pre-UCLA/UCSD college. So, in other words, I believe it will be possible for you to transfer to either UCLA or UCSD from Cal State Northridge, despite the process being more difficult. However, you personally seem to be leaning toward Santa Monica, judging by the tone of your post, and in terms of CCs, I think this is quite a good one. Really, it is up to you. Choose by location, academics, future chances...anything, really. :) In my opinion, neither option will decrease your chances of admission to a medical school. But keep in mind, competition for med school is intense in Cali, so don't be too set on getting your education there--but goals are good!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm just trying to figure out which I should go to to transfer out of after 2 years it'll be easier to transfer at a cc rather than a 4 year

Yeah I'm just trying to figure out which I should go to to transfer out of after 2 years it'll be easier to transfer at a cc rather than a 4 year

This means you basically have another year to decide where you will end up. The best way to determine that is see how your grades are for your first 2 freshman semesters.

how hard is it to transfer to ucla after 1 year at a 4year

Personally, I'd go to a CSU and try to get some pre-reqs done. It's been said that many med schools look down on students taking them at JC's, and even if that isn't the case, many JC's won't have some of the appropriate classes available (Ochem, for example).

I don't know anything about the specifics of transfering because I haven't been in that situation. I will tell you that if you plan on transfering from a JC to a 4 year institution, plan on taking 5 years to get out of college.

Depends on how badly you want to go to UCLA or any other UC system college. They're very good schools, and it's definitely worth going to community college.

yeah, im leaning on just going to northridge but im wondering how hard is it to transfer to ucla after 1 year or is that even possible?