[HS] Community College Route

khatz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure I would ask pre-meds this question because I can't find too much research on this route. Currently a senior in HS, contemplating the CC pre-med route to transfer because of the money I'll save.

I will probably get accepted to at least one in-state 4-year but just in case I don't or if my parents get a change of heart I want to know how to take the CC route.

- How many pre-reqs should I take at a CC? At what point would my chances be compromised for taking too many pre-reqs at a CC?
- When should I transfer, after 1 year, 2 years?
- Do you recommend it? Looking back, if you were in my position, would you have went to uni or CC? Also, let's say my local CC gives out easy A's (a few of my friends have 3.7-4.0 GPAs after just finishing their first year), how would you feel knowing that?

Members don't see this ad.

I am now a sophmore in undergrad and I had this same question when I was a senior in highschool and had to find out the hard way. I highly recommend going straight to a 4 year university if it's possible. The way things worked out for me and what I was told is that I need to take all of my pre-req's at a university. If you're a science major you'll want Chem 1 and 2 under your belt by freshman year. My CC Chem 1 and 2 did not transfer to my university so I am taking them now. I am falling behind because I need to take these upper level science courses that I do not have the prereq's for such as Chem 1 and 2. Also you generally take easier classes freshman year and that gives you time to learn things such as living on your own and you can learn from all your mistakes without it costing you too much damamge. May be different for some other people, but that's how it played out for me.

I figure I would ask pre-meds this question because I can't find too much research on this route. Currently a senior in HS, contemplating the CC pre-med route to transfer because of the money I'll save.

I will probably get accepted to at least one in-state 4-year but just in case I don't or if my parents get a change of heart I want to know how to take the CC route.

- How many pre-reqs should I take at a CC? At what point would my chances be compromised for taking too many pre-reqs at a CC?
- Do you recommend it? Looking back, if you were in my position, would you have went to uni or CC? Also, let's say my local CC gives out easy A's (a few of my friends have 3.7-4.0 GPAs after just finishing their first year), how would you feel knowing that?

I believe I can answer this, but take my advice with a grain of salt. I am currently a sophomore at the community college level. I have looked into this issue for a very long time. My main advice is to stay away, and go to a four year university if possible, as I wish I had. If that however is not an option do not be discouraged.
Secondly SEE MULTIPLE COUNSELORS!!
I can not even begin to describe how many student on the pre- med track at my school have been given terrible advice into which classes to take. Most students, including myself are not forced into a semester or even a year longer stay in order to receive the right transferring credits.

Talk to the four year university you plan on transferring to. If at all possible set up a meeting, or even a skype and make sure they will accept all your classes.

Do not take prerequisites at your community college if you can. The premed prereqs are not easier at many community colleges, but adcoms see them this way, and look at them with little favor.

Finally kick butt and have fun. Strive to get all A's but if you cant do not worry about it. Your more important GPA will be at the four year university. You will want to show admissions that you can keep up with the work a four year university dishes out, and that you did not go to a community college to receive easy classes. Prove to admissions that you are a strong candidate who either A.). messed up in high school and could not get anywhere else, and you are going to take life serious now, or B.) could not go to a four year university due to financial problems.

p.s. transfer asap, or finish your ass and transfer, just remember only 60-64 credits transfer, and then you have to take 60-64 at the four year college.

Hope this helped a little,
Phikapdoc
(Disregard multiple spelling and grammar issues)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight guys, I really appreciate it. :cool: I'm going to have to think long and hard about this one before May comes around. It seems that if I go the 4 year route, it's going to be much more organized and easier but the CC route might put myself in a maze with admissions and all. Either way, running through a maze isn't my biggest concern so I'm fine if it has to come to that.

Basically do this:
Spend a year or a year and a half at a cc
Take calc/stat
Gen chem
Gen bio
Micro
Genetics
And your lower level electives
Save physics and orgo for 4 year college and likewise make sure to take a few upper level bios at the 4 year.

I actually disagree with one of the answers above about going straight to a 4-year university; although it really depends on your situation.

When I graduated from high school, I went the 4-year university route first. I was at a 4-year for one semester until I decided that it would save me about $10,000 in loans to go to CC and take the same courses. There is a big difference in $111 per credit at a CC (Where I live) and 400 per credit at my university.

If you go this route, I would suggest contacting your university of choice and an academic counselor/advisor at the CC. Make sure that everything you take at the CC will transfer or else it is wasted money and time.

My recommendation for courses is to take:
General Chem I and II
General Biology I and II
English Composition I and II
Calculus I and II/Statistics
Core Electives such as History, Art, Music, Philosophy. Make sure to check your university's core requirements to make sure that these courses wil fulfill those area requirements.

If you plan on being pre-med, I don't recommend staying at the CC for over a year. You are going to want to take Orgo and Physics at the uni level as well as some upper level Bio and Chem courses to show medical schools that you are capable of doing well in hard science courses not just at CC but at uni level as well. This is the path I took, and it has worked out well for me so far. If money isn't an issue for you, I'd say go 4-year first, but if you aren't eligible for a lot of finaid assistance like a Pell Grant, CC is the way to go.

Hope this helps. :)

The post above sounds reasonable if you don't have AP/CLEP/Whatever credits and if you're planning on majoring in Bio or something that will only require no more than 3 years in uni.

Now if I were in your position (no financial aid/scholarships to profit from attending a uni), I'd STILL move to Texas, work, volunteer, shadow, study for AP/CLEP credits, and read for at least a year, have ALL my courses required left for my degree taken at a CC, and either do something noteworthy in uni (work lots of hours, take difficult classes/course loads, publish research, be an athlete, ect).

I'm just saying if you're a bad-ass, you're a bad-ass.

Texas is where the affordable med school tuition's at! They have plenty of med schools mainly for its residents too.

Yes, you gotta ask your parent not to claim you on his/her tax form.
Just another thing to look into: https://financialaid.tamu.edu/types/aggie_assurance.aspx (there are many other Texas unis that have these programs).

A&M also has a great Office of Professional School Advising and cheap apartments around its location.

If I were on an adcom, I would look forward to interviewing someone who took the practical instead of conventional approach.

Oh yea - I personally did not waste my time with counselors (or parents).

Last edited:
Hi I would like to go back to school for my bachelors master's or Phd in psychology but am Leary of the job market in this feild...I would greatly appreciate ur advice in what degree I should get n any info on the job market now...I'm a respiratory therapist now...also 42 years old...thank u

Hi I would like to go back to school for my bachelors master's or Phd in psychology but am Leary of the job market in this feild...I would greatly appreciate ur advice in what degree I should get n any info on the job market now...I'm a respiratory therapist now...also 42 years old...thank u

Wrong forum, go to the psychology forum. Also don't hijack.