HPSP to residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trauma_junky

12 step pre-med rehab
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, If I am a Navy HPSP, can I do a residency in an Army hospital? I was talking to a recruiter yesterday and he was giving me that used car salesman look when he was explaining it to me. So I wanted to hear it from you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

while it is possible to do a Navy residency in an Army hospital (joint programs like at Walter Reed/Bethesda), i'm 99.9% certain Navy HPSPer's cannot get into Army residencies at Army hospitals. hope that makes sense, lol.

There are a few examples in which this is common. For residency, these are primarily joint programs (National Capital Consortium). For fellowship, cross-service training becomes more common. I definitely wouldn't do a Navy HPSP scholarship if I had a particular Army GME site in mind.

Originally posted by GMO_52
There are a few examples in which this is common. For residency, these are primarily joint programs (National Capital Consortium). For fellowship, cross-service training becomes more common. I definitely wouldn't do a Navy HPSP scholarship if I had a particular Army GME site in mind.

The residency isn't so bad, but BAMC offers a critical care surgery fellowship that sounds cool and I would like to do that. I just don't want to go Army, my wife would leave me if we ended up at Ft. Hood or Bliss.