HPSP student - PHA prereq for BOLC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted743871

Hi everyone,
I'm an Army HPSP student scheduled to attend BOLC this summer 2020. I have had a lot of trouble scheduling my PHA (periodic health assessment). If I am not able to complete my PHA before this summer, will I still be able to attend BOLC? Has anyone gone to BOLC without having completed their PHA?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What seems to be the problem scheduling it? It’s pretty easy to set up

Also make sure you can pass the pt test. They will 100% fail you and you will not graduate if you cannot pass it

And go get your pha. What is hold up?

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that there are no locations that are authorized to conduct PHAs within a 3 hour drive of me. My options would be to rent a zip car and do a daytrip, or get a flight to a different city. Either way is expensive and also tough considering I'm in the middle of clerkships.

The problem is that there are no locations that are authorized to conduct PHAs within a 3 hour drive of me. My options would be to rent a zip car and do a daytrip, or get a flight to a different city. Either way is expensive and also tough considering I'm in the middle of clerkships.
the army won't care about that, it's either a rule or it isn't (I don't know which is true)

the army won't care about that, it's either a rule or it isn't (I don't know which is true)

lol I know they won’t care about my excuses. What I don’t know is if they’ll kick me out of BOLC without a PHA on file. I’m fine with them being upset with me as long as I get to keep my BOLC spot

Also make sure you can pass the pt test. They will 100% fail you and you will not graduate if you cannot pass it

And go get your pha. What is hold up?

They will not fail you for that. I went last summer and a bunch of people failed, everyone graduated. You’ll have to do remedial PT while everyone else sleeps or eats chow. It’s more important to pass if you’re going to your first duty station. Obviously passing looks better but failing is not the end of the world.

Reactions: 1 user
I am sure that TRADOC (which runs AMEDD BOLC since October) requires a passing PT test (still APFT next summer but they will conduct a diagnostic ACFT as well) during the course if active duty or AGR. I didn't get my PHA done until after BOLC because of the Army's...issues...with simple things. None of the direct commissioned AD soldiers had completed their PHA before BOLC. But if you find instructions requiring it as a prerequisite for HPSP students, I would recommend getting it done.

They will not fail you for that. I went last summer and a bunch of people failed, everyone graduated. You’ll have to do remedial PT while everyone else sleeps or eats chow. It’s more important to pass if you’re going to your first duty station. Obviously passing looks better but failing is not the end of the world.
That is new if true, they absolutely sent people home when I was there

Thanks, Koikoi.

Did anyone show up to your BOLC without having completed their PHA?

We were told our PT was mostly diagnostic unless if you were going to your first duty station right after. This only applied to the summer HPSP AMEDD BOLC though. I can’t speak for all the other classes. As for PHA, I can’t say for sure if they were people who didn’t do it beforehand. I remember some people had to go get their vision, dental and hearing exams done. I did my PHA a couple of months before I went to BOLC so I didn’t have to go. I also had a really hard time with LHI scheduling my PHA, I had to convince them that I needed an actual physical done every year. They kept cancelling my appt request because they thought I only needed to complete the online portion, but then I kept getting the emails that my PHA was overdue. LHI is a nightmare.

I had my PHA done about 4 months before DCC and I still had to get hearing and vision done. They let me skip dental since they had my records. I would try and get the PHA done and you can submit a 1380 to get paid for it. I would just suck it up and drive to get it done through LHI. That way you have it done before you go and you may get to skip a few stations in med inprocessing (or not depends on what cadre wants to do), but I would try and be as squared away as possible before going.

Get an APFT for record done within 6 months of starting the course and make sure it is filled out completely and correctly.
Get your PHA done.
Get any online trainings done that you need to do prior to going.

I had my PHA done about 4 months before DCC and I still had to get hearing and vision done. They let me skip dental since they had my records. I would try and get the PHA done and you can submit a 1380 to get paid for it. I would just suck it up and drive to get it done through LHI. That way you have it done before you go and you may get to skip a few stations in med inprocessing (or not depends on what cadre wants to do), but I would try and be as squared away as possible before going.

Get an APFT for record done within 6 months of starting the course and make sure it is filled out completely and correctly.
Get your PHA done.
Get any online trainings done that you need to do prior to going.

Were you HPSP? I don’t think your advice is relevant for the HPSP students. Please correct me if I’m wrong. From my understanding, LHI takes care of our PHA physicals. We can’t just get them done elsewhere and get it reimbursed. There is a form for dental but not the PHA. Also there is no need to take the PT test before or after BOLC. Everyone will take the test at BOLC. The NG and Reserve students that joined us midway and needed copies of their scorecards got them. The rest of us that we’re going back to school did not. I believe the rules are slightly different for HPSP students since most of us go back to school and don’t have drill obligations.

Were you HPSP? I don’t think your advice is relevant for the HPSP students. Please correct me if I’m wrong. From my understanding, LHI takes care of our PHA physicals. We can’t just get them done elsewhere and get it reimbursed. There is a form for dental but not the PHA. Also there is no need to take the PT test before or after BOLC. Everyone will take the test at BOLC. The NG and Reserve students that joined us midway and needed copies of their scorecards got them. The rest of us that we’re going back to school did not. I believe the rules are slightly different for HPSP students since most of us go back to school and don’t have drill obligations.

LHI handles PHA physicals for guard/reserve soldiers as well. If you set it up through LHI and attend and get a copy of the voucher and submit the appropriate paperwork you will be paid for visit. Yes you can see your own dentist and have them complete the form or you can schedule through LHI and see a dentist the military sends you to.

You also might want to check the schoolhouse webpage for the requirements for BOLC. I would rather take an APFT with a unit than take one at a TRADOC school, but hey to each their own.