HPSP + Residency Payback time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalvydas

Navy way ended. Army....
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One question to clarify about HPSP payback time:

If I have 4yrs obligation for my HPSP, and if I am accepted into 3yrs residency right out of school, what will my active duty obligation be: 4yrs or 3yrs? Will 3yrs residency count towards HSPS payback time?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is a military residency then your time in residency is neutral time for the sake of the conversation. Your payback would be 4 years after your residency ends.

To be technical you acquire another 3 year commitment when you take the residency, but the payback happens along side your HPSP payback time.

If it is a military residency then your time in residency is neutral time for the sake of the conversation. Your payback would be 4 years after your residency ends.

To be technical you acquire another 3 year commitment when you take the residency, but the payback happens along side your HPSP payback time.

thanks

Was looking into this and found quite interesting PowerPoint presentation from Navy Medicine Manpower Personnel Education and Training Command www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Documents/Recruiters%20Presentation%20-%20Website.ppt

- Residency (not internship) incurs year-to-year training obligation served concurrently with remaining HPSP obligation

- Pay back for HPSP occurs when the member is not in training

Last edited: