HPSP questions, kind of urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lillyone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. I was diagnosed with asthma-like symptoms when I was younger (12) and got clearance for it, but have recently been diagnosed with asthma again (and trust this doctor). If I were to commission into the AF with HPSP and then tell someone, would they automatically kick me out of the program?

2. I was recently told that 99% of AF HPSP participants do a civilian residency. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I was diagnosed with asthma-like symptoms when I was younger (12) and got clearance for it, but have recently been diagnosed with asthma again (and trust this doctor). If I were to commission into the AF with HPSP and then tell someone, would they automatically kick me out of the program?

2. I was recently told that 99% of AF HPSP participants do a civilian residency. Is that true?

In response to #1, once you are in they have a lot invested in you so they will try to keep you in. If they release you from the program, it will be very unpleasant and they will send you a massive 6-figure bill.

I think probably 90% of HPSP recipients do a military residency and only a small fraction due a civilian residency. This is especially true now that fewer people are joining and they have to fill the military spots first.

No, not automatically. Have they screened you at a MEPS yet? Even if you get past that though, if you're currently having symptoms, it will likely come up once you go active duty and get your physical. Then you have to get waivers, and it can affect your placement when you apply for residency, duty location, etc. Some folks don't even get a waiver and get stashed in a GMO spot seeing clinic for the duration of their commitment. Long way down the road, I know, but you'll thank yourself in four years if you just bite the bullet on the student loans now instead of going the HPSP route. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently told that 99% of AF HPSP participants do a civilian residency. Is that true?

You were recently lied to.

It probably wasn't the only lie told to you if it came from the mouth of a recruiter.

You were recently lied to.

It probably wasn't the only lie told to you if it came from the mouth of a recruiter.

I'd say based on the magnitude of that bit of misinformation:
A. Your recruiter lied about a lot of other things or
B. He had no idea what he was talking about

Do some research on your own. The forums here are a good place to start.

Myself and 6 other flight docs at my base would just like to say "Hello, from GMO land. We have a special place reserved just for you!"

:laugh:

Myself and 6 other flight docs at my base would just like to say "Hello, from GMO land. We have a special place reserved just for you!"

:laugh:

You had 7 flight docs??? I hate you. We had billets for 6 but only ever had a max of 3. Subtract one for deployment as one of us was always deployed and we had 2/6 FS manning. When we were only two, one of us was solo for 4-6 months while the other was deployed. I looked at my deployments as a great opportunity to get out of that f-ing clinic.

By the way, the civilian side is a thousand times better than the military.
The nurses listen to the doctors.
The techs in general know what the hell they are doing.
There is no OPSEC, INFOSEC, CBRNE, etc... computer based training.
The atmosphere is collegial, not the open hostility I was used to in the MDG.
The work is more evenly distributed, i.e. the young guys aren't getting dumped on so the senior guys can sit in their offices all day.
I could go on and on and on...

You had 7 flight docs??? I hate you. We had billets for 6 but only ever had a max of 3. Subtract one for deployment as one of us was always deployed and we had 2/6 FS manning. When we were only two, one of us was solo for 4-6 months while the other was deployed. I looked at my deployments as a great opportunity to get out of that f-ing clinic.

By the way, the civilian side is a thousand times better than the military.
The nurses listen to the doctors.
The techs in general know what the hell they are doing.
There is no OPSEC, INFOSEC, CBRNE, etc... computer based training.
The atmosphere is collegial, not the open hostility I was used to in the MDG.
The work is more evenly distributed, i.e. the young guys aren't getting dumped on so the senior guys can sit in their offices all day.
I could go on and on and on...

7 ACC docs, 4 AFMC docs currently (not counting current deployments). We are actually billeted for 8 ACC docs (12 Total). It is going to suck next year when that number is probably going to be reduced to 4 total docs after the separations/retirements and PCSing. At that point, I can't wait to be deployed again (hell, I wouldn't even be mad if we got moved to 6 month deployments).

T-Minus 22 months and counting down...

You can indeed get medical boarded and kicked out of the military for asthma---even after taking the commissioning oath. When I was at COT, one person was thrown out for this very reason. I think that once you start medical school or active duty you'll be stuck in the program.

#2 was definitely a lie. Go to this website and look at the IFB results. You'll notice that very few slots are available for civilian training.

In response to #1, once you are in they have a lot invested in you so they will try to keep you in. If they release you from the program, it will be very unpleasant and they will send you a massive 6-figure bill.

That's not even close to true. If you are willing to stay in but the military asks you to leave due to a medical condition, you won't have to pay a cent. In fact, you may even get disability. If you get kicked out (ie, smoking pot, DUI), that is a different story. If you lied about your asthma before you signed the line, that too is a different story.

I don't think having asthma will affect you at all. When I was the GMO on a Navy ship, I had a ton of asthma people, and they didn't have "waivers," they just had asthma.

Believe me, if you are applying for a residency in the military, your medical record has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. The selection board in washington doesn't have your medical record in front of them while they are picking your fate. That's just ridiculous.

deuist said that he knew of someone who got kicked out for asthma. I find that hard to believe. I would bet $100 there is more to the story. Like I said, I knew people ON A SHIP with some pretty serious co-morbidities, and asthma was nothing. I suppose it may depend on severity, but even then......I just don't know, it seems strange to me. I had a guy with Crohn's with anal fistula's. I'm tellin' ya, well treated asthma is small potatoes.

Finally, with the trouble the military is having recruiting HPSP students, I highly doubt they are looking to kick people out.

Last edited:
The people on your ship were already in the military and working. The person who got sacked at COT was during his first week. There's a difference between have a medical problem during training versus during active duty.

The people on your ship were already in the military and working. The person who got sacked at COT was during his first week. There's a difference between have a medical problem during training versus during active duty.

Good point, but what "training" does a doc have to complete? Nothing really.

That's not even close to true. If you are willing to stay in but the military asks you to leave due to a medical condition, you won't have to pay a cent.

Let me clarify. If you have to leave due to a medical condition before you finish your payback, you will have to pay a prorated portion of your educational expenses back.

I really don't think so. What are you basing this on?

I saw a couple BCNRs for Navy medical officers who were boarded out. One was for migraines the other was for a catastrophic medical condition. Both were issued 6 digit bills because they didn't complete their obligation. Look in the contract. I think it says you have to pay back if you can't complete for *any* reason.